Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC 60 versus V60 - a newcomer asks

Views : 2121

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 20th, 2014, 21:51   #21
tickedon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Yes indeed, BUT and its a big BUT - that is comparing a Business Edition V60 with an SE XC60 - different specs.
I think it's real pity Volvo haven't expanded their business edition to the XC60 and V40. We might then see the V40 at a more reasonable price (why anyone would be a V40 with the S60/V60 Business Editions for a bit more, with so much more kit, I've no idea!) and I'd even then consider an XC60 myself!

For me, I decided the extra cost of SE Nav just wasn't worth the few extras I gained. Sure, the chrome on the steering wheel might have been nice, but it's not really a deal-breaker!
Old May 23rd, 2014, 10:54   #22
Harvey1512
Premier Member

What Car are showing Drive the Deal offering an XC60 D4 SE at £26,100. The deal I am getting on my lease version mirrors that but I wish the list price was nearer that figure for BIK purposes. How many would Volvo shift to business users if the list price, so BIK, was lower?

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/deal...o-xc60/1295332

This backs up Volvorocks comments on the price comparisons between an XC60 and a V60. It certainly makes an XC60 ridiculously good value at the moment.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 11:09   #23
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockers View Post
The thing is the Germans predominantly buy German cars, the same in France and Italy. We have no mainstream British cars, we just assemble Japanese/American etc cars
Historically I agree. Last couple of times I've been in Italy they've been nipping around in VWs.
In Germany the company cars are still majority German the private buyers are flocking to the Korean brands for the small and medium size cars, KIA in particular.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 11:19   #24
Harvey1512
Premier Member

I was in Florida recently, first time in the US, and I was surprised by how many Korean cars there are out there. Kia in particular have made big strides into that country. Still mostly US brands but enough Korean to notice. European brands were thin on the ground but I accept that Florida is not representative of the country as a whole.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 12:38   #25
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Personally I would prefer that they put the price up and retain some cache and exclusivity - the speed that they are knocking them out it will soon be like the BMW 3 series which is now a reps car like the Mondeo and vectra
Old May 23rd, 2014, 13:52   #26
NickHoward

I agree about the exclusivity. But I'm not sure it would make a difference.

I'm amazed by how many Audis I see on the road. Considering their above average price (compared with Mondeo, Insignia, Passat etc), Audi absolutely dominates.

I also can't help but feel that every Audi cruising on the motorway is a "reps" car....

Past:MY15 XC60 D4 R-Design Lux Nav, Black
NickHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 14:00   #27
Harvey1512
Premier Member

I think you have to admire what Audi and BMW have done. They sell prestige cars in large volumes at prestige prices. It is what most companies would love to do. Even the common nature of their products does not diminish their appeal. Fair play to them.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 16:36   #28
Crockers
Premier Member

Define "prestige"?

Is it exclusivity? Over priced? (I.e. paying for the brand)
Is it quality?

If its exclusivity - then the Ford Mondeo is more of a prestige car than the A4 or 3 series as those two outsell the Ford in the UK

If quality - then test drive a family VW Golf - the quality is up there with BMW

Bottom line is - is it just hype, marketing and perception over substance?
Old May 23rd, 2014, 18:25   #29
andymcp
Premier Member

Quote:
Bottom line is - is it just hype, marketing and perception over substance?
If volvo upped their prices at the same quality that would be the ultimate triumph of hype and marketing over substance!

Like my car, but I wouldn't call it prestige!

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote