Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Internet Connection Problem?

Views : 3321

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 21st, 2014, 17:23   #31
Waggatron

I get very frustrated by this.

If I want to purchase anything significant I will get up to speed on the internet first then when in the shop ask a couple of loaded questions. You can then work out very quickly if your dealing with a numpty or with someone who actually understands the products they are selling. Unfortunately most of the time it's the former.
Waggatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2014, 17:38   #32
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebster View Post
I get very frustrated by this.

If I want to purchase anything significant I will get up to speed on the internet first then when in the shop ask a couple of loaded questions. You can then work out very quickly if your dealing with a numpty or with someone who actually understands the products they are selling. Unfortunately most of the time it's the former.
Pray tell me the shop where you found a salesman who actually knew what he was talking about?

Definitely wasn't in a Volvo dealership
Old May 21st, 2014, 22:29   #33
tickedon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Pray tell me the shop where you found a salesman who actually knew what he was talking about?

Definitely wasn't in a Volvo dealership
I found Jim at Volvo Riverside Hull to be both pleasant and knowledgeable about my S60. Everyone I've dealt with there seems to know what they are talking about.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 14:05   #34
tem
Premier Member

Just managed to connect.
Mobile connected to internet via MiFi and with Bluetooth tethering I managed to connect the car. Got on the web, entered my email address, now awaiting email to finish off, but seems to be taking ages to arrive.

tem.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 14:56   #35
Flux
Premier Member

That's a relief then. Obviously your Mifi allows for both wifi and bluetooth tethering (like a smartphone). Hopefully with the impending upgrade on sensus connect, we might be able to use wifi anyway and allow bluetooth to do all the other stuff like phone connection and media player..

Must be the bluetooth that is connection you to the APP in your V60 though. Wonder why your mobile wouldn't work? Mine sometimes takes ages to connect and feel that you can't always rely on it 100% if you have sent a destination to the car for fear of it never connecting. I always write down postcode just in case or check before I go to make sure it has arrived.

I had several attempts to enter email address as it didn't work for the first four attempts (but there is no indication to say either way). You should receive an email congratulating you for connecting to MyVolvo. You can also check in the car as if you go into web section on your car it will show your linked email address. If it doesn't it still hasn't yet connected.

Be patient - although the only thing that goes slowly in the new VEA engine Volvo's is the internet. The rest of it goes like a train!

Last edited by Flux; May 23rd, 2014 at 14:58.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 17:08   #36
NickHoward

I have come to the conclusion that until you can add multiple postcodes easily (I stress the word "easily"), using the voice input for postcodes is the easiest way to do it.

Any Sensus Internet feature just takes too long, and this is with a 4G connection.

Technology is supposed to make things quicker and easier. I can't help but feel that the internet functionality in Sensus Connect makes life harder and slower.

Past:MY15 XC60 D4 R-Design Lux Nav, Black
NickHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 17:23   #37
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

@flux - @tem is connecting

Internet to MiFi then using wifi to phone then using bluetooth from phone to car

What confuses me is why the phone will not connect to Internet - clearly a sheeting on phone needs changing to set up sharing.

On apple you need to set up a personal hotspot, I wonder if the same is true for the android phone @tem has - the MiFi shouldn't be needed.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 18:52   #38
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
@flux - @tem is connecting

Internet to MiFi then using wifi to phone then using bluetooth from phone to car

What confuses me is why the phone will not connect to Internet - clearly a sheeting on phone needs changing to set up sharing.

On apple you need to set up a personal hotspot, I wonder if the same is true for the android phone @tem has - the MiFi shouldn't be needed.
The mobile that I used does not have a data package, so I normally use the MiFi to connect the mobile or 7" tap to the internet.
In the above mode and with the mobile connected via Bluetooth to the car for phone calls and texts, I clicked on Bluetooth tethering on the mobile.
My Car - Settings - Internet - Bluetooth - Enter and within seconds, I was connected.

Why I did this, but once into the internet, I entered two email address for Volvo ID, one being what I have used for My Volvo, which is with virgin.net and the other with gmail.com.
I now have the choice via seperate emails to register, my choice.

I have tried for over a week and how I managed it today?
At least I know it can be done with a MiFi (payg), so will not need to take out a phone contract.
I did try streaming music, choose Kiss, the connection was fast and reception, excellent.

Unfortunately, where I live, the 3 network has been down for the past the last three days and I managed the above in another town.

tem.

Last edited by tem; May 23rd, 2014 at 19:44.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote