Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New D4 VEA Engine Fuel Economy?

Views : 2862

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 25th, 2014, 14:34   #11
ianeverett

Model XC60
Gearbox: manual
Urban Percentage: 80%
Extra Urban Percentage: 20%
Overall fuel economy/average on last tank: 35 MPG - still enjoying it, it will get better I'm sure
ianeverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2014, 14:54   #12
Dunky 101

XC60 D4 R-Design
60% urban / 40% extra urban

Only up to about 600 miles so far, but average to date is around 39mpg. Took it on a run last week abou 80 miles which was 75% motorway, and only managed about 40mpg which was lower than expected.

Forgot it's a manual
Dunky 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 17:41   #13
andymcp
Premier Member

What a strange engine, it's difficult to know how to get the best from it.....

Added my latest Fuelly, which didn't surprise me at 42.8mpg as it was more than half short drives loaded with kit around town and in loads of traffic with AC blasting, USB socket permanently charging and when Mrs McP is in the car then heated seat burning too (at same time as AC on, go figure ). After I fuelled up again I had some town driving then an 80 mile trip on motorways and dual carriageway with two traffic jams to contend with along the way (anyone that has arrived in Glasgow at rush hour will know the joys of the daily M8 grind), loaded with daughter's belongings to bring back from Uni. Before I jumped out I noticed the trip reading had jumped up considerably, so called up the details on the VOC app journal.....67.5mpg! Eh?? Also claims there's still 945 miles to empty, and none of the 10 fuel bars are showing as empty on the app's gauge. It seems to have been a particularly frugal day since earlier runs on the way up before the fuel-up showed between 53 and 57mpg. Very odd, the only difference I can think of is that it was a very warm day of between 18 and 21 degrees, but surely that wouldn't make that sort of difference? Will be interesting to see next fuel-up later in the week to see how real those numbers are.

I have no idea what I did different today, but I'll happily take the extra 20+mpg!

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 19:15   #14
Considered1
Premier Member

Would your ave speed on the motorway with the jams have been less than normal and maybe less actual stop starting if you know what I mean

Good stuff though, well done
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 19:47   #15
andymcp
Premier Member

Not sure - first jam was for 2-3 miles with plenty of stop-start, a lot of it on a long climb where I would have expected the effort of getting the mobile sofa moving again to have really hurt mpg. Most of the distance in clear traffic was in outside lane so 70-80mph. Second traffic jam was another couple of miles of full stopping and starting. Normally I try and shortcut some of it but I was on a long call so left queue assist to deal with it.

I'm genuinely stuck for why it was so good. Tried calling up the trip stats screen in Sensus Connect but the 10 mile units all just look tall, and I don't know how to scroll left along the 1 mile units to see where the difference was.

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote