Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 D4 first impressions

Views : 3324

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 12:45   #21
keithjeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymcp View Post
I'm sure you're already aware but ACC is only there as part of the Driver Support Pack, so if this isn't spec'd then you will only have normal cruise. As Considered1 says though, you can switch between them if it is there.
I was, and I'm still juggling exactly how many options is too many options, and indeed what trim (its probably going to be a V60 D4 Rdesign with Nav, but I might go for an SE with Driver Support). I need to get behind the wheel of one for a while to compare the seats, and see what the heated windscreen looks like. I had a mondeo with one for a while and couldn't not notice the wires.
keithjeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 14:41   #22
Flux
Premier Member

Good luck with your choice. Regarding the heated screen - I too had a Mondeo many moons ago as a company car with heated screen. I am pleased to say that in the Volvo XC60, I can't see the wires (unless I really look hard) and they are not a distraction. The same couldn't be said about the Mondeo although I eventually got used to the wires and managed to ignore them for most of the time.

Go and have a look at a V60 or XC60 for yourself and hope you will be pleasantly surprised.
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 15:21   #23
andymcp
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithjeb View Post
... I need to get behind the wheel of one for a while to compare the seats, and see what the heated windscreen looks like. I had a mondeo with one for a while and couldn't not notice the wires.
Purely in the name of research I just popped out for a spin the the car. If you focus on the screen, you'll see the wires. Usual thin wiggly lines are definitely there. But focus on the road ahead and they don't intrude at all, and it takes a specific effort to find them again. I've driven in cloudy conditions, direct sunlight, at night and with all manner of rain/snow spoiling the windscreen and still had to go out just now to check for them - so hopefully better than your Mondeo experience.

On the seats, before I ordered I'd sat in the current R-design seats in the showroom but only the last generation of SE/SE Lux ones. The R-design were noticeably more supportive, but the current SE/SE Lux ones seem to give them a good run for their money. On long runs I did wonder if the R-design ones would be too restrictive, but I was probably looking for issues at that stage. More than happy with what I've got - afraid the nearest to Manchester I'm getting over the next week is Penrith so not exactly convenient to let you have a look for yourself.

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 15:47   #24
keithjeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymcp View Post
Purely in the name of research I just popped out for a spin the the car. If you focus on the screen, you'll see the wires. Usual thin wiggly lines are definitely there. But focus on the road ahead and they don't intrude at all, and it takes a specific effort to find them again. I've driven in cloudy conditions, direct sunlight, at night and with all manner of rain/snow spoiling the windscreen and still had to go out just now to check for them - so hopefully better than your Mondeo experience.

On the seats, before I ordered I'd sat in the current R-design seats in the showroom but only the last generation of SE/SE Lux ones. The R-design were noticeably more supportive, but the current SE/SE Lux ones seem to give them a good run for their money. On long runs I did wonder if the R-design ones would be too restrictive, but I was probably looking for issues at that stage. More than happy with what I've got - afraid the nearest to Manchester I'm getting over the next week is Penrith so not exactly convenient to let you have a look for yourself.
Thanks,
I've been in the standard and R design (although didn't know they'd changed the seats, I'll have to check which ones they are). On the C30 I did have the RDesign seats were much better.

I can't get quotes till I officially start a new job, so its difficult to guess, but I've only just realised R-design takes you up to 112g CO2, so actually SE Lux would probably come out about the same price, although it would need a winter pack.

Basically anything is going to be better than a 320d which seems to be the standard choice of my workmates, just need to figure out what I actually need vs my natural instinct which is basically to get the lot. Glad you're enjoying the car, and sorry for the hijack!
keithjeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 21:11   #25
andymcp
Premier Member

Another 600 miles done, and this lot were ACC-free and a real mix of steaming around motorways trying to make up for time lost in traffic jams and closed roads in city centres. 48.8mpg (brim to brim, trip computer claiming 50.7) so happy with that.

Eco+ button properly tested now (the coast mode only works when ACC is off so hadn't tried this before). Makes about 1-2mpg difference but you need to think far ahead to get the most out of it and I'll probably give up the mpg in favour of ACC for longer cruises. Didn't like it at all on hilly twisty A-roads as all engine braking goes out the window and found myself constantly on and off the brake/throttle. Not the easy cruising I bought the auto for! In fact best drive on those roads was using flappies, choose the gear and balance engine braking and throttle pickup on my own. After 90 or so back road hilly miles it was second nature.

Long drive to the highlands tomorrow so should find out what the rural experience is like on an A-road cruise as plenty time there and back.

After only plugging in iPods so far tried a proper CD today and the premium sound came alive! Won't be using much as can't be bothered with the hassle of finding places to keep them but shows how well the system stages high quality source material.

Love the car, no niggles bar the parking brake, laughed out loud when I brimmed the tank tonight and the trip computer said I now had 1035 miles to empty

The Following User Says Thank You to andymcp For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 21:32   #26
tem
Premier Member

If you are planning to cross the Kessock Bridge, get there well before 16.00 hrs.
Major roadworks in place.
Recently, it took me 1 hour to get across it.

tem.
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 21:47   #27
andymcp
Premier Member

Hanging a left just before it but will be heading south from Inverness around that time so might avoid the usual roundabout onto the A9 in case queues heading north back up the approach road - thanks for the heads up.

Old Apr 11th, 2014, 21:58   #28
Gb908010

Yes it was me getting 50 mpg from new.
Update from me on my r design d4 manual.
Now done 9500 miles and achieving 50mpg with 70% mway mist of the time.
Averaging around 85mph in motorway.
Might drop my speed and see what I get but been running late recently so had to get my toe down.

Love the car, only negative is sound system(not loud enough)
Gb908010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2014, 21:05   #29
andymcp
Premier Member

Drove through the 5,000 mile count on the odomoter today, so an update on how the car has been so far.

I bought the car for practicality, comfort, economy and to treat myself to some toys so here's how it has fared on those fronts....

Practicality. We've now done 4 family breaks in the car with a couple of weekends and a couple of weeks. I've also had to get crew and gear out sailing so there's been a fair test of capacity. I realised the boot was smaller than I was used to, so had bought roof bars for the box to go on. So far though, everything needed, plus space for dog, has all been managed from the boot. On storage, since I went for the Volvo fitted tempa under floor I've not had any added space to call on, but since I haven't needed it, I don't miss it. Inflation gunk, towbar, etc all fit under the floor should I ever need them, along with a few straps, tow rope etc. The Volvo guard is excellent, mutt stays put in his half of the boot and the rest of the gear for 4 fits easily in the other half. I was swithering over the divider but not been needed at all. I've taken off the cassettes for the net guards as they are not needed with the proper guard (and they rub against the bottom of the guard when it's deployed making a very irritating squeaking noise) and this makes it much easier to push bags right forward in the boot. When the guard is stowed against the roof it does protrude down at the sides but better than having it fixed across the line of sight in the rear view. Happily had 5 adults in the car for journeys up to 70-odd miles, and when it's just the family the kids haven't had any issues finding places to stash all their gear. Huge hit has been the in-car wifi, better than RSE for keeping them amused.

Comfort. Perfect. 10 out of 10. Brilliant. If I went searching for a gripe then the footrest is a tiny bit high, but only an issue if I've been driving long motorway journeys for 4 hours or more at a time. All other passengers report great ride and seats, big tell-tale for ride has been complete lack of any car sickness from kids on the twisty roads to visit family. Having faffed around with tyre pressures they are set to middle of the range between standard and Eco. I have noticed they vary quite a bit so I now check them every second fill-up.

Economy. With servicing covered for the next 5 years and no need for tyres or any other consumables I can only comment on fuel economy. Finally figuring out the D4's behaviour. Volvo claim 55 urban for the D4 auto, I get 34-39mpg around short town trips. They claim 74 extra urban, I get mid 60s if I stick to the limit, high 60s if I drop to between 60 and 70mph. I don't stick to the limits though and over the course of a tank will usually have some longer hilly twisty A roads where a decent amount of overtaking stamps with the right foot are required, so the Fuelly average to date of 49 is more than surprising me. On single runs I've managed a best of 67, bang on the claimed mpg but I have no idea why that happened. For the last 50 miles today I reset the mpg counter and tried chasing the economy. It's tiring, but I managed to just creep over 70 for the trip, from town onto motorway, through town back to home, so the numbers can be done. That was based on 65-70 on the motorway and planning any slow-downs well in advance so I could coast as much as possible. Nobody would drive like that all the time, but I was surprised it was possible to get above claimed combined economy without having to **** everyone off by doing 56mph in the inside lane.....

Toys. I added Driver Support, and the ACC is the most heavily used part. Love it, would never buy without now. The active high beam is outstanding too, although I won't see that again for a few months now. Premium Sound worth every penny, makes for a great cabin environment whether using iPhone, HDD, radio or CD for sound. Huge volume, no distortion, great detail across the range. Nav had been faultless other than the speed limit info which I was expecting to be a real pain but to be honest I don't miss it at all. The big round signs next to the road give the game away On the topic of Nav, I've found that I never leave the screen on maps and TFT display indications are all I've needed so I leave music/phone/whatever on the main screen. I've used internet radio far more than I imagined, and use DAB far less which is the total opposite of what I expected. VOC modem was a nice-to-have but having slurped all my 3GB of data I'd bought for the first 3 months, fair to say it's being well used.

Would I have bought the same car again? Definitely. I prefer the XC60 look, but for what I actually needed, the V60 is perfect. I nearly switched to R design several times after ordering, but the SE Lux trim is a great place to be and doesn't penalise ride, VED band or economy. One of the best parts of owning the car though has been the service from the dealer and Volvo. They have both been patient, helpful and very generous with their time and resources. There are a few things that we have agreed to disagree on whether things work the way they should, but to balance that some features that make no intuitive sense when you read the manual work better the way they are designed when you're behind the wheel - which in my opinion is more important.

Here's to the next 5,000 miles.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to andymcp For This Useful Post:
Old May 29th, 2014, 21:31   #30
GMcL
0's and 1's

The two things I miss on my R-design are AQS and rain sensor which I thought was a bit stingy from Volvo on a car costing in the region of £30k.

I thought the auto-dimming rear view mirror would have been an issue but with the blacked out rear windows only really badly aligned headlights cause issue.

The missing footrest is only a minor niggle. I found wearing boots with an ankle support compensates for the RHD omission. Left hooker manuals get the footrest, tell me the accountants did not have a hand in that and a that'll do for the RHD market attitude.

Only other minor niggle I have is the rear fog light. I would like through My Car the option of switching which side of the car is illuminated. I appreciate Volvo don't want both sides lit but when venturing into Europe I would like the correct side of the car illuminated if I should need to use the rear fog light. The bulb is there, I suspect it's a DIM "feature".

Otherwise, after my 1500 mile trip, love it.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post: