Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I'v ruined it

Views : 1260

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 25th, 2012, 19:10   #1
callumk5

Exclamation I'v ruined it

Had a productive day servicing 'Ulrika' today (so much easier than all the more modern euro boxes I'v done recently) before taking a fridge freezer, 5 old car batteries and two reasonably large gas cylinders to the dump in one go, obviously. I like to let the old girl earn her living doing things the S60 and Smart Roadster can't. It transcends her status from "expensive unnessasary toy" to "indispensable part of the household fleet".

On the way to the dump (with the considerable weight on board) the ride was lovely. Floaty, roll-y, and shore footed; just as she was when I first drove her four years ago. On the way back the ride was stiff, bouncy and unforgiving (although very entertaining and lively on the slightly damp twisty back roads).

The reason is the cheap, aftermarket, standard springs and shocks fitted to the back end when the Nivomats gave up a couple of years ago (I know I only have myself to blame). Back then Volvo wanted £351 (plus VAT) each for the shocks alone, and I just couldn't justify spending that much on a car that only cost £500.

My question is this: is there a way to slush-ify the ride again, whilst not ruining the load carrying abilities, without spending (probably getting on for) a grand? Or do I have to stop being such a skinflint, bite the bullet, and fork out for more Nivomats?
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 19:20   #2
rublehousen

couple of flag stones in the back?????
rublehousen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 19:24   #3
john h
VOC Member

Yes. Fit saloon rear springs plus munroe adjustable air shocks. They're not automatic like the nivomats, but they can be pumped up to level the car under load, either with an on-board compressor wired in or via a airline/tyre pump.

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john h For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 19:36   #4
mikealder
VOC Member

There was a Volvo option fit for ride height adjustable rear shocks on these motors with a control panel on the dash and compressor mounted in the rear of the car as I recall - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 20:14   #5
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

I wonder if tyre choice could be a cheapish solution to your issue..I have to add my old bus has heavy duty everything on the rear end and tyre choice is what is available at the time of going to press..It carries all my tools and like yourself mind blowing capacity dump runs..it is never empty and suits my needs..I could be wrong but its either a mule or a racehorse?..by the way mules are quite amazing to see up close..Cheers hj.
honestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 08:16   #6
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I've never had any problems fitting the cheapest springs and shocks I could find.

If the ride has suddenly changed after just one journey then something has failed. If the ride height is the same then it can't be a broken spring, it sounds as if the shock absorbers have failed. Odd though that they have apparently gone stiff rather than completely soft.

I'd have a look at the prop shaft joints and the sliding section - has something seized from lack of grease?
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 09:15   #7
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The other thing you need to consider when changing from the self leveling to basic suspension is you should fit a rear anti roll bar. Car with basic suspension left the factory with one fitted front and rear however cars witted with the levelers only have one on teh front.

As to the bouncy problem you now have what happens when you push down on each rear corner as hard as you can and let raise back up on its own?
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 10:09   #8
callumk5

Thanks for all the replies folks. Fitting saloon springs with adjustable shocks sounds like a good option, especially with an anti-roll bar which I don't have on the back. I have seen the built in factory air levelling system on a 700 car but not on a 240 yet. I'm guessing it was rare and therefore expensive now?

Tyres are currently fairly new Pirellis on Virgos. Again- probably not helping the ride, but they look smart!

I don't think anything has failed (I hope at least) as there is no noise or vibration which you would associate with a frozen UJ. How do you tell if the sliding section is seized? The example of the dump trip really highlighted the difference in ride quality between laden and un-laden. The car is mostly used for day trips to Ikea etc with lots of people and things or hauling heavy, big things around, so most of the time the stiff rear end (matron!) isn't noticeable. With Nivomats the ride was uniformly superb- how I miss them!

So in short, it sounds like I have two options to regain that beautiful Volvo ride: Fit saloon springs with adjustable shocks and an anti-roll bar, or go back to stock with simple (but expensive) Nivomats.

I appreciate your thoughts folks. It seems fiddling with rear suspension especially on estates is a bit of a minefield. Maybe there should be a sticky article about changing away from Nivomats?
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 19:11   #9
LankyTim
Missing the point

Don't you know you can weigh in scrap car batteries? I got 9 quid for a couple the other week.

Regarding rear suspension. I fitted booster springs from a 245 i'm breaking up to my roadgoing 240. It's really stiffened things up, the standard springs are way too soft IMHO.
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 07:38   #10
rublehousen

just found this and think it fits here nicely.... http://www.ipdusa.com/techtips/10024...olvo-have-them
rublehousen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rublehousen For This Useful Post:

Tags
nivomat, rear, shock absorber, springs