Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC 60 versus V60 - a newcomer asks

Views : 2120

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 19th, 2014, 20:53   #1
xsaab
Master Member

Default XC 60 versus V60 - a newcomer asks

In the next couple of years I have to move over from driving Saabs which I have been driving since 1971 to another make.

A tour of the dealers encourages me to favour the Volvo, after all they are Swedish, plus other reasons.

I favour an estate to replace the Saab 9-5 estate so the XC60 or V60 becomes an obvious choice.

I have read the brochures, sat in the cars, I have rented XC70s for a few weeks in the past in Arizona and New Mexico so I know I like the feel of them. The car is for use in the south of the UK and the near part of Europe and collecting wine. <g>

So what are the plus points of either type of vehicle - why did you choose the specific version that you have?

Because you fancied the specific variant is a valid answer <g>

Thanks for any comments.
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 21:10   #2
andymcp
Premier Member

I realise it's a personal thing and there are plenty of reasons for both, but we came from an SUV and out main interests were fuel economy and comfort. Having short listed to Volvo based on engine, we had to choose between XC60 and V60.

Our needs were for something that would do 70-80% of its mileage with just me plus work colleagues, then the rest split between family taxi and fully loaded holiday wagon.

On the plus side for XC60 were higher driving position and larger boot. On the downside, for all those work miles I'd be paying for size, space and fuel burning I just didn't need. The V60 scored on economy, price and comfort (I find it nicer for long hauls than an SUV position), lost out on space. But when we go fully loaded a roof box fills the gap well.

When it all came down to it I went for a higher spec and compromised on luggage space but two family trips later and the roof box has covered the difference. If I had the chance again and had a bit more money maybe I'd go for the XC60 but real life the V60 has been a great buy.

On the looks front though, the XC60 wins hands down in my opinion.

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 21:14   #3
GJB
Premier Member

I went for the XC60 as it was 4 wheel drive and to tow a caravan but it is a case of horses for courses.
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 22:06   #4
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Hi xsaab!
I'm in the same boat (well, my Saab experience is positively short lived....9-3 aero, 9-5 aero a saloon, 9-5 ltd edition estate, 14 years and about 300k miles, just a junior!

I decided quite simply I preferred the higher road position of the XC. For me it is about a bit of a change as much as other things!
Liked the look of the new engine and 8-speed auto (I've always had manuals, but have driven autos Stateside many times and feel the combination should suit the car). Don't really need the AWD so have gone for the new FWD unit.
We do tend to have a trip or two to Europe, including for a ski holiday, but I believe winter tyres (will probably get separate rims) are good enough for where we go: we've been up mountains whilst LOADS of cars were putting chains on with no problems in our SMax and the Saab!

Boot space is very similar: a bit shorter but a bit wider/higher so the volume is similar.

Tech wise I've added a fair bit on....but there are reasonable deals to be had, the worst part (as you can perhaps see in threads!) is the massive delay, volvo simply can't build them fast enough!

Comfort wise I believe the Volvo seats are on a par with the superb Saab ones....and better than all the German ones I looked at.

All clearly just my opinion, others will have different thoughts. I have a friend who has just placed an order for an estate, I am sure he will be pleased with it!
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeIOW For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2014, 22:47   #5
xsaab
Master Member

Hi Mike - thanks we have met over on the Saab Tech Talk forum and thanks to Andy and GJB
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 23:08   #6
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Ha! I'm guessing your name isn't xsaab over there......but whoever you are, welcome
Old May 19th, 2014, 23:42   #7
inego

The V60 is a very nice vehicle but I like driving to the end of gravel roads, so ground clearance and AWD are solidly on my list in a car. My wife would love a V60, but.....
Old May 20th, 2014, 09:23   #8
Crockers
Premier Member

I had a D5 V60 Geartronic with Polestar and traded it in for the XC60.

The reason being my wife found the V60 hard to position on the road. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it)

I liked my V60 very much and thought it looked really nice in Cosmic White (a Marmite colour). And on 18" wheels. Ride was better on the 17" winters though.

The XC60 feels more planted on the road, I prefer the higher position, just did a 400+ mile trip and felt comfy as hell.

Downside is it uses more fuel, but not that much more. About 1-2 mpg less so not that bothered. Of the two I would go for the XC60 every time - but that's just my humble opinion, but after 12 months in both I would say its no competition.

If its a load lugger you're after have you considered a V70?
Old May 20th, 2014, 11:34   #9
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockers View Post
it looked really nice in Cosmic White (a Marmite colour).
Marmite White: that could be a whole new range!
Marmite Gold anyone? http://www.unilever.co.uk/Images/450...m28-364999.jpg
Old May 20th, 2014, 12:18   #10
Harvey1512
Premier Member

I am about to change from a V60 to an XC60 but that is not a slight on the V60. If the choice was purely mine I would go for a V60 D4 geartronic. However it was a family choice and the vote was for a higher riding car. Personally I think the deal was sealed the moment my kids discovered the boot was closed electronically via a button on the boot on the XC60. The ride height is probably the key difference between the two cars, price apart, so the question you need to ask is how improtant that is to you.

The XC60 feels better, slightly more luxurious, but that may well be perception as when you look at the two cars they look very similar internally. The XC60 obviously costs a decent amount more, the reason why I have not gone for the auto, so that does need to be taken into consideration. I would have specced a V60 up higher than an XC60 as I would have had more room to play with.

It is a nice decision to have.