Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Electric silver

Views : 3356

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 25th, 2014, 11:33   #1
Escobar

Default Electric silver

Hello all,

Have ordered the rdesign d4 in electric silver, anyone have any regrets about choosing this colour? Only saw it briefly in showroom conditions on an s60 so unsure what it looks like in natural uk sunlight. Really like black now but most people seem to say never again.

Thanks
Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2014, 12:04   #2
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escobar View Post
Hello all,

Have ordered the rdesign d4 in electric silver, anyone have any regrets about choosing this colour? Only saw it briefly in showroom conditions on an s60 so unsure what it looks like in natural uk sunlight. Really like black now but most people seem to say never again.

Thanks
You will not regret your colour choice, I spent some time looking at colour options & in the end it was Electric Silver v Black.
Black does look so great when clean & shiny but how often is that in the UK, so Electric Silver it was which does a great job of hiding the dirt & muck.
Old May 25th, 2014, 14:16   #3
Docs

After owning six or seven black cars over the years this is my first silver car.
Black is still a favorite but only when washed/polished.
The Electric Silver is a fantastic colour to keep clean plus I've never seen a colour that changes so much with the light.
Be happy with your choice you'll not regret it.
image.jpg
Old May 25th, 2014, 15:42   #4
Mike 700
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docs View Post
After owning six or seven black cars over the years this is my first silver car.
Black is still a favorite but only when washed/polished.
The Electric Silver is a fantastic colour to keep clean plus I've never seen a colour that changes so much with the light.
Be happy with your choice you'll not regret it.
Attachment 74412
The only comment I would make is that I paid the extra to get Cosmic White on my XC60, and initially it looked really great and the colour changes in different lighting conditions really did make it worth the extra. However, this did not last too long, and it settled down to a sort of beige colour - never really could call it white - which is still good, and very rare so overall I am/ was pleased.

I really gave a lot of thought to Electric Silver, but I've decided to go with normal metallic this time.
Feb23 Qashqai e Power, June 21 Volvo XC90 Recharge R design.June18 TiguanSELNew 2017XC60RDesign NavLux,New 2015 Qashqai n-tec+,New 2014V60SE,New2011XC60 RDesign,New XC90SeLux,NewMay2005XC70 D5 SeLux plus.
Mike 700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2014, 19:43   #5
ajhj

I really like the electric silver. I couldn't justify the additional expense so my main choice was between Sapphire black and bright silver. I went for bright silver in the end mainly because I could see one in the showroom so knew I like it. It was really difficult to see any in black that were SE spec and so it was difficult to know how good it looked.

Anyway I've seen both now and still not sure if I've made the right choice. ..... I've yet to see one that's not looked good though so looking forward to delivery!
ajhj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2014, 20:32   #6
Mike 700
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhj View Post
I really like the electric silver. I couldn't justify the additional expense so my main choice was between Sapphire black and bright silver. I went for bright silver in the end mainly because I could see one in the showroom so knew I like it. It was really difficult to see any in black that were SE spec and so it was difficult to know how good it looked.

Anyway I've seen both now and still not sure if I've made the right choice. ..... I've yet to see one that's not looked good though so looking forward to delivery!
I picked mine up on Tuesday and it has done just over 150 miles now- been in Heathrow T 3 short term since Friday morning, so don't know how it looks currently, but it had been through sun & rain before then & still looked ' bright'.

Just seen a dirty black Swedish reg. V60 by the town hall in Copenhagen - the colour didn't do anything for me- most cars here seem to be black these days inc. my son's new Mondeo Estate, and their nearly all dirty.

Btw you don't see too many Danish reg Volvo's - far too expensive e.g my XC60 in 2011 cost just over £37000 in the UK, whereas we priced up the same spec in Copenhagan, in 2011 - £104,000 equivalent.
Feb23 Qashqai e Power, June 21 Volvo XC90 Recharge R design.June18 TiguanSELNew 2017XC60RDesign NavLux,New 2015 Qashqai n-tec+,New 2014V60SE,New2011XC60 RDesign,New XC90SeLux,NewMay2005XC70 D5 SeLux plus.
Mike 700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2014, 22:26   #7
ajhj

I had a look at your bright silver v60 Mike700. I have to say it looks great and interested to hear your experience with the colour staying 'bright'. Makes me feel that I might have made a good choice...... Not that I doubted it

I found the following pics and this is what I've ordered. Can't wait. .. Should be 4 weeks or so. Fingers crossed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VOLVO-XC60_ESTATE_2.jpg (66.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 59F78E3BC0C27A255FB7E1CF2C180.jpg (47.8 KB, 43 views)
Old May 26th, 2014, 07:00   #8
NewVolvo
VOC Member

I have had black cars since 2006 and although a night mare to keep clean, I still want another one! Wife's cars are also all black.....

Looks good though when clean and polished....

IMG_6384.jpg

IMG_6387.jpg

IMG_6391.jpg

But I must say, that Electric Silver is pure class!
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2014, 18:23   #9
AngloScot
Master Member

I have the se lux in black sapphire. I think the black with the silver trimmings and alloys looks the best, but that's just my opinion.
Old May 26th, 2014, 19:08   #10
andymcp
Premier Member

My V60 is electric silver and I am really pleased with it. I do a lot of mileage and it keeps the clean look really well. On overcast days it looks light grey and contrasts the chrome really well, while on sunny days the colour really lightens up and sparkles. Having had dark colours for years I don't regret the colour choice at all (originally ordered dark blue, then black, then settled on electric silver).

Saw an XC60 in it at the dealer before I collected mine and it looked the business - an R design with ixion wheels that suited it perfectly. Enjoy!

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andymcp For This Useful Post: