Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Shabby main dealer cars

Views : 3422

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 22nd, 2020, 08:19   #21
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
You missed out the furry seat covers and the Esso tiger tail hanging off the interior mirror.😀
Of course, with the 'I've got a tiger in my tank sticker'! Additionaly late 60's Esso were also giving away bullet hole window stickers. I thought they looked cool but grandfather wasn't so impressed when he saw it in his rear window!

Maybe the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2020, 08:24   #22
Whyman
Premier Member

And the Esso’s best accessories the 007 stick on bullet holes for the windows,
Old Aug 22nd, 2020, 10:00   #23
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

The tigers' tails?

The daft thing was that the original concept was that people were supposed to affix it to the petrol filler cap such that it looked as there was that "tiger in the tank"! But, of course, the tails were aimed more at the level of people that wouldn't realise that nuance! So they hung them off the mirror (soon to be replaced with fir tree thingies) instead.

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christheancient For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 22nd, 2020, 16:26   #24
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christheancient View Post
The tigers' tails?

The daft thing was that the original concept was that people were supposed to affix it to the petrol filler cap such that it looked as there was that "tiger in the tank"! But, of course, the tails were aimed more at the level of people that wouldn't realise that nuance! So they hung them off the mirror (soon to be replaced with fir tree thingies) instead.
That's chavs for you, all style over substance.

Remember a couple that got booked because the furry dice hanging from the rear view mirror obstructed forward vision. They were quite indignant that road safety came before their artistic endeavour, even more so when they got fined in court.

Our accessory of choice was a roll cage and driving lamps.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 22nd, 2020, 16:39   #25
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

I never did understand the point of furry dice!

Come to that, the thought of anything hanging from the interior mirror causing a distraction makes me wonder. And that sort of filters forward to the present day where there is a plethora of all sorts of distractions on the dash. How many are actually essential? I used to be quite happy in my old mini (many eons ago) with a speedo that also contained a fuel gauge and a couple of warning lights.

Being a grumpy ol' git, there seems to be far too many thingamajigs and distractions in a lot of modern car. So busy monitoring all the (pointless?) things on the dash that there's no time to watch the road and traffic! Folks in Yorkshire (not that I'm from there) have a lovely nickname for non-essential things... 'do-nowts'. Too many cars seem to have too many of them - but that's just my opinion!

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christheancient For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 22nd, 2020, 16:48   #26
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:

Come to that, the thought of anything hanging from the interior mirror causing a distraction makes me wonder. And that sort of filters forward to the present day where there is a plethora of all sorts of distractions on the dash. How many are actually essential? I used to be quite happy in my old mini (many eons ago) with a speedo that also contained a fuel gauge and a couple of warning lights.

Being a grumpy ol' git, there seems to be far too many thingamajigs and distractions in a lot of modern car. So busy monitoring all the (pointless?) things on the dash that there's no time to watch the road and traffic! Folks in Yorkshire (not that I'm from there) have a lovely nickname for non-essential things... 'do-nowts'. Too many cars seem to have too many of them - but that's just my opinion!
No No, the more knobs and dials the better all housed in a burr walnut dash lovely!

Maybe the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dash300 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 23rd, 2020, 09:51   #27
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash300 View Post
No No, the more knobs and dials the better all housed in a burr walnut dash lovely!
Back in the day I used to help out a mate in his body shop, usually doing the electrics on rally car biuld.
A lad came in one day asking if I could fit some switches to his cortina mk4. What sort of switches and what for I asked.
You know just switches that light up. Yes but what do you want them to switch on and off. Nothing. I just want them to light up when I switch them.

Ended up drilling and fitting 9 illuminated switches in 3 colours across the bottom of his centeral console to do nothing but light up and look prity.

Mate told me afterwards they were his pulling ploy. He would tell young ladies he was switching the supercharger on and flick a switch etc. They were as effective at attracting young ladies as they were control devises but he seemed happy.

There really is none so queer as folk, to borrow a saying. Just Twp is the local version.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 24th, 2020, 02:47   #28
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:

its ok if the cars dash doesnt have Enough do-nowts they always have the mobile phone to hand to tit about with....

Pet hate of mine is this BS craze of "fit a i-twonk" in the dash to do all sorts of things with touch screen and sat nav ,, perfect thing for the morons to be playing with Just before running into people/other cars,,, and Every manuf is doing it,,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 24th, 2020, 08:25   #29
S60RDesign

Well I’m keeping the Volvo and buying a Mini Coupe Cooper S for some back road fun. In electric blue with black roof, wheels and stripes - looks like a miniature racing car. Travelled 175 miles to the dealership and at the time the only approved used one in the country, very well presented thankfully. Looking forward to picking it up later this week
S60RDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60RDesign For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 25th, 2020, 19:16   #30
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
Picking up on this; cars are SO expensive now aren't they. Just the other day we were queuing outside a car dealership and I said to my Mrs "blimey look at that - that Fiesta is £16,000.00"

Been watching those car factory build vids on YouTube recently and the amount of plant and equipment they have is staggering! the 'operatives' aren't allowed to lift anything themselves so there's a piece of kit for every task - are WE paying for all this development? or are cars expensive because we demand all the techy stuff and infotainment gubbins?
This is true... the MK2 Ford Focus ST was £19,000 new in 2006.

Latest MK4 Focus ST is over £30,000

Taking inflation into account, that is still damn expensive for a Ford.

Last edited by T5R92011; Aug 25th, 2020 at 19:19.
T5R92011 is online now   Reply With Quote