Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Steering rack identification

Views : 4732

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 13th, 2021, 16:25   #1
Bashy
Aged Member

Default Steering rack identification

Hi folks, in Vida, there are 2, one speed related, tother standard.

How does one identify whitch please? not to mention all the part numbers cause i assume the main part number is just the exchange part number and i would need one of the numbers underneath those headings? See images....

TIA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steering rack speed related.jpg (117.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg steering rack standard.jpg (109.1 KB, 35 views)
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 17:13   #2
oragex
Premier Member

Look at the top of the rack box for a small sensor with a wire to it
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 20:55   #3
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

Hi.
Steering rack replacement is a nightmare not only because there is quite a lot of work involved but in making sure the replacement rack is the right one.
Volvo used two makes SMI (early) and ZF (later).
SMI usually have threaded pipe unions and the later ZF are push-in which are held by retaining plate. BUT there are also hybrids .
Volvo replacement racks will be ZF type so what that USUALLY means is....
1. If you have ZF standard or speed sensitive it will be a straight swap . No other parts required.
2. If you have early SMI the replacement will be ZF and will require new pipes and Column lower U/J.
3. If you have a hybrid you could have a problem.
Trying to identify the correct part from the VIN No is next to useless. A real good look at what you have fitted is the only way.
VOLVOBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VOLVOBOY For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 23:32   #4
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
Look at the top of the rack box for a small sensor with a wire to it
Thanks, i will see if i can see anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOBOY View Post
Hi.
Steering rack replacement is a nightmare not only because there is quite a lot of work involved but in making sure the replacement rack is the right one.
Volvo used two makes SMI (early) and ZF (later).
SMI usually have threaded pipe unions and the later ZF are push-in which are held by retaining plate. BUT there are also hybrids .
Volvo replacement racks will be ZF type so what that USUALLY means is....
1. If you have ZF standard or speed sensitive it will be a straight swap . No other parts required.
2. If you have early SMI the replacement will be ZF and will require new pipes and Column lower U/J.
3. If you have a hybrid you could have a problem.
Trying to identify the correct part from the VIN No is next to useless. A real good look at what you have fitted is the only way.
Thanks, i will have a good look (hopefully) and take photos
The guy at the garage only thought a couple of hours for the swap over as per there work times software said, well, it was about 45mins removal and 45 mins fitting, is it possible that the knock could be from the lower shaft?

Last edited by Bashy; Jan 13th, 2021 at 23:49.
Bashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 00:12   #5
oragex
Premier Member

Good info above, as one thing to make sure is to use the right tie rods for your rack - these look similar but at least the outer ones are different length
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 00:17   #6
Bashy
Aged Member

Thanks, ive just seen this in my vehicle information, see image please
If thats correct, it looks like i have the standard rack, that should be a couple of quid cheaper if nothing else.....

As my car was built week 43 of 2006, aka MY2007, does that help any in determining SMI or ZF, i will take photos when i get chance to have a look though..
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2021-01-14 001155.png (8.2 KB, 39 views)
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 09:04   #7
oragex
Premier Member

The easiest way to be sure is to look at the top of the rack, may turn the wheel to full lock at look behind it at the rack with a flash light, for a connector with wire at the top and in front of the rack back. It's easy to see. For the model, this is what Volvo is listing as genuine for 2005-up without speed sensitive Bosch 36050360 https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...60#description
May look at these options here https://www.fcpeuro.com/Volvo-parts/S60/Steering-Rack/
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 10:38   #8
YorkshireDave
VOC Member

My car's been looked after privately by a mechanic who does it in his 'spare' time. I trust him implicitly so we've used him for 20 years. He learned early on that I know enough, as Dad was a mechanic, that it wasn't worth BSing me.

VOLVOBOY's advice is perfectly on point. Mine was done recently and the VIN proved bl00dy useless in identifying which was fitted. In the end we 'plumped' for one which measured up in terms of connections but seemed a literal smidge longer. Anyway it went in. Keeping the old tie rods was a nightmare as it turned out there wasn't enough adjustment to set the steering up properly. In the end, I worked out that it was possible to machine some 10mm more thread onto each of them so I had a pal of mine machine them then I put the additional thread on them (13mm coarse if anyone's interested) and a £40 die used twice (open to hire it out!)

Once done however, which meant even more work, it worked perfectly with the steering becoming amazingly precise again. My God tho what an absolute b4ll ache.

all cars everywhere are a perpetual work in progress...
YorkshireDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YorkshireDave For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 18:29   #9
MisterGee19

Following...
I’ve heard “lion automotive” seem pretty good and competitive for replacement racks. £175 plus a £100 replacement surcharge.

I thought any car roughly after the facelift in 2004 would have a ZF rack?. And speed sensitive steering option was included with four-c suspension only?

Wonder how much would a good indi charge for the rack change? Mine is heavy and pulsing, but it got thru an MOT so I’ll live for another year or until it breaks completely
MisterGee19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MisterGee19 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 20:13   #10
YorkshireDave
VOC Member

Mine was noisy for years & then suddenly lost all fluid. My advice is do it before it fails completely.

all cars everywhere are a perpetual work in progress...
YorkshireDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YorkshireDave For This Useful Post: