Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bilstein B8 front struts

Views : 2176

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 25th, 2018, 21:08   #11
2.4TSE
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
Here's my take when it comes to replacement shock absorbers. If you want the best ride, go with genuine for the shock absorbers and the wishbones. This combination is the only way to get a sense of how were these cars feeling when they left the factory 15 years ago. Nothing will replace the feeling of a genuine Volvo strut coupled with a genuine Volvo wishbone. There are people who say the Super Touring is the exact replacement for genuine, this could not be further away from the truth. On poor pavement the Super Touring don't last, loose rebound and start leaking. The only close replacement for genuine struts is Boge. Lemforder wishbones are also good, but not the same damping feeling as a Volvo wishbone. Lemforder put their brand bushes, while Volvo has Boge bushes. Because the wishbone has an importand damping role, along with the strut.

So if budget is not a problem go genuine with the struts. You will notice that 'Volvo' feeling. Plus, these parts are available online a lower prices that what the main dealer is selling them.
I agree with your Super Touring comment; they were utter crap and nowhere near as good as the factory dampers. The trouble is, I didn't like the factor dampers either, finding them wooden and clumsy as described above. The B4s are the best all round dampers I've had fitted, with comfort the standard struts can't hold a candle to yet still being reasonably taught - but I was disappointed how quickly they became baggy.

2008 C30 T5 SE Sport R-Design | Dynaudio | BLIS | Winter Pack | Towbar | Parking Control | Keyless | 18" Atreus
2.4TSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2018, 22:50   #12
davebb
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.4TSE View Post
Thanks, davedd. The factory lowered suspension is 25mm lower, vs the B8s being designed for 30mm , the difference between the two being the 5mm. I called Bilstein technical help and they confirmed that the B6s I had fitted previously were wrong and I should instead used B8s even though the amount of drop is not quite what they are designed for. Given this and that the B8s have different damping at the start of their stroke, I therefore wonder if they will be markedly better than the B6s, which disappointed for my needs.

Cheers,
2.4TSE
OK 25mm , yes go for the B8, Partsforvolvo seem to be the best price for the full kit,
But I don't now about just the fronts,
IF you do fit the b8 can you please do a review,
Thanks Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2018, 10:22   #13
MarvinMitt

I'm on B4s and a rear one got misty at 30K.
Bilstein states it's normal and no action needed.
I have yet to notice a change in ride quality but I'm also not a preformance user.
Otherwise the B4s are superb balance between street and highway driving.
Old Nov 27th, 2018, 08:28   #14
ivor

Hello
I have had the B12 kit on a 2001 V70 and i would not recommend this kit for a V70. It consists of the Eibach Pro-kit lowering springs and the Bilstein B8 dampers which are a shorter version of the B6 dampers. The Eibach springs should lower a standard V70 25-30mm but due to the shorter body of the B8 dampers (the front ones) and during assembly there becomes much more preload on the springs and all comfort is gone.
I sold the B12 kit and put on a set of H&R springs with Koni FSD and the car now has a good balance between height and comfort, but i am keen to try the B6 dampers
ivor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ivor For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 15:35   #15
2.4TSE
Master Member

Thanks for all the input.

As the B4s were by far the best all-round damper for road use that I had yet found for my P2 V70, I've ordered another pair to replace the ones that have gone baggy after what was 75k miles on starting this thread.

2008 C30 T5 SE Sport R-Design | Dynaudio | BLIS | Winter Pack | Towbar | Parking Control | Keyless | 18" Atreus
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 22:54   #16
2.4TSE
Master Member

Now drawn to a close, here: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...54#post2477254

Thanks again for the input along the way.