Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vibration

Views : 964

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 27th, 2018, 15:16   #11
kymg

So the other day I took the car to a mechanic to see if another set of ears could locate the vibration. Initially it was suggested by them when I had some other work done that it could be engine mounts. I figured that if the car was on the hoist it might relieve some load and identify the problem. No such luck.

Anyway the mechanic suggested that it sounded like it was coming from the serpentine belt tensioner - you know, the one I just replaced. He suggested that on past experience with another Volvo the serpentine belt was a tad too short and that caused the tensioner to be under too much 'tension' and this caused it to vibrate.
Please note that I replaced the tensioner and the belt with a Conitech kit from FCPEuro.

So the vibration remains. Sounds awful inside the car and bloody awful outside.

The vibration occurs when the AC is either on or off.

The harmonic balance could be an option. I imagine that starts to get a little more complicated to repair.

I really don't want to have to go and replace every likely suspect one by one. That could get a bit exxie given the things the belt goes around.

One day I will get to the bottom of this. Thanks for all your input. Much appreciated.
kymg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2018, 20:09   #12
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Take a stiff longish screwdriver.
Place tip of it on top of exhausts side cam , and push handle of that screwdriver firmly into your ear.

That, and suggestion from member here, BrendanW, got me to replace water pump.

Vibrations were just like you describe, mostly heard only around 100-1200rpm (coming down to idle from start), later I could hear them at idlecspeed too.
And it seems you have same engine there as me : B5244, 170ponies.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 11:54   #13
kymg

Hi Folks,

An update.

I am heading to Adelaide for Christmas, about 1,000km from where I live. I decided to get the AC serviced before I go. I mentioned to the mechanic that there is a vibration, at idle especially, that is quite frankly bloody annoying. I had someone look at it before and thought, on spec, that I would ask him just to have a listen.

He guessed what he thought the problem was and when he had a good look was correct.

It was the clutch pulley on the alternator. Now it seems that the AC compressor has also carked it so that needs replacing. He thinks the damage to each is linked and that the compressor caused the damage to the alternator.

So my start to Christmas is going to cost over $1300. But frankly that is better than getting stuck on the Hay Plain or in the Mallee on a 40 degree day.

It is being fixed on Friday and I am hoping very much that the noise has gone. I will keep you posted.

Cheers
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 01:44   #14
kymg

An update,

Went to Adelaide for Christmas. I can post a picture of the beach if you like.

Anyway the vibration is with the car has gone.

Our return trip to Wagga was on a pretty warm day. The temp gauge in the car hit 42 degrees C by 10.00am and reached 48 degrees C during the trip. It didn't get below 42 degrees C for the rest of the ten hour trip.

Everything worked a treat. Turned on the air con as we left and didn't touch it again for the whole trip.

Something interesting though - I had a pod on the roof of the car on the way across and the fuel consumption was 9.1 l/100. On the way back without the pod it was 8.1 l/100.

Cheers