Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

updating headlights

Views : 923

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 12th, 2020, 11:07   #1
145estate
145estate

Default updating headlights

Hi, just wondered if any members on here had updated their headlights and if so could they recommend a good product/company.
thanks
145estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2020, 11:16   #2
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Adam (swedishandgerman) did mine before I bought it, you could drop him a PM.

Brookhouse sell a Halogen replacement: B1212963R and so does classicswede: https://www.classicswede.co.uk/Halog...4_8272062.aspx

You can also buy them on ebay. I don't know what the differences between them would be like.
Old Nov 12th, 2020, 14:12   #3
145estate
145estate

Hi, thanks for getting back to me....yes I've seen them on ebay too, seems you can buy replacement H4 headlights complete with halogen bulbs including sidelights...also would appear you can possible upgrade to LED also.
Ill keep searching and maybe speak to a few companies.
thanks
145estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2020, 17:04   #4
142 Guy
Master Member

The conversion of the actual 7" headlight assembly to H4 halogen is fairly easy, about 15-20 minutes with a screwdriver for both sides. I have the Hella lens with the 'city light' feature. Very nice pattern with a conventional H4 bulb. Cibie also makes a quality lens with a very nice pattern. The Cibie are significantly more expensive than the Hella and harder to source. Bosch used to offer conversion kits; but, do not seem to be in the game anymore. There are a bunch of off brands available which I personally would stay away from.

A significant improvement you can make is to alter the wiring so that the headlights are supplied through relays directly connected to the distribution block up by the headlight. This eliminates the tortuous path back through the headlight switch which drops the voltage to the headlight bulbs. A 1.5 volt improvement in the voltage at the bulb terminals makes a huge difference in light output because output is a function of the square of the voltage (13.8 / 12.3)^^2 = 25% improvement. Using relays also reduces the current flow through the light switch which extends the life of the switch. The relay conversion is very easy to do even if you are electrically challenged. Search on the web and I am sure you will find something. If not, please advise and I will post a wiring diagram. On the 140 you can add the relays and fuses for less than 10 sterling (my browser does not support pound symbol).

I personally would avoid LED bulb conversions for the 7" H4 lenses. The Hella and Cibie lenses are made for a bulb with a linear filament aligned along the central axis of the lens which emits light 360 deg around that central axis. LEDs are typically point source emitters. The output may be really bright; but, the pattern on the road will not likely be correct so the result may not be what is desired. The other thing to consider is the H4 LED conversions all have a miniature cooling fan attached to the back of the bulb which precludes the use of the normal dust boot on the back of the bulb. The headlights in the 140 back into the engine compartment which is not really a clean environment so you will likely be dealing with crud contaminating the fan and bulb cooling system.

Last edited by 142 Guy; Nov 12th, 2020 at 17:06.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 19:04   #5
Andrew164

The main beam on my 164 is by far the most powerful of any car I have come across
Andrew164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2020, 12:17   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Whilst they do not look original I like the crystal halogens on my 145. The lighting is very good and good beam pattern from them.

https://www.classicswede.co.uk/Cryst...4_8257796.aspx
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 14:49   #7
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
Adam (swedishandgerman) did mine before I bought it, you could drop him a PM.

Brookhouse sell a Halogen replacement: B1212963R and so does classicswede: https://www.classicswede.co.uk/Halog...4_8272062.aspx

You can also buy them on ebay. I don't know what the differences between them would be like.
Just about any 7" headlight will fit and I just used Land Rover ones.
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swedishandgerman For This Useful Post: