Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Folding Wing Mirror

Views : 2092

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 4th, 2020, 09:26   #1
James77

Default Folding Wing Mirror

Morning All.

Do you remember those wonderful COVID free days of early 2019, specifically January? I do it was just before setting off on a great week in the Alps and I collected an XC60 from the (not so) local dealer, no social distancing required!

On that day I noticed that the driver side wing mirror unfolded at a slower rate than the passenger, naturally I ignored it, just a quirk. However, over time it did start to annoy me and I noticed that it was labouring to 'unfurl' and more recently stopped half way on occasion.

Fast forward we're now near 2 years into this smoker so I thought prudent to get it addressed at the annual service (courtesy of the service plan).

The point of this unnecessarily long post is apparently it's a common fault more often than not drivers side, sometimes remedied with software update (apparently!?) but more often requires wing mirror gubbins replacement.

So if you're struggling with tardy wing mirrors it might be worth getting them appraised whilst in warranty or it'll cost you a pretty penny.
Old Dec 4th, 2020, 12:30   #2
techwatcher
Master Member

My previous MY2018 XC60 had this issue on the driver's side mirror a couple of years ago. Reported it to the dealer who did something (lubricated something perhaps - certainly didn't replace anything) which resolved it.

The problem returned earlier this year and worsened, to the point where the driver's mirror would not unfold at all occasionally - folding and unfolding the mirrors using the two buttons would eventually result in the drivers mirror unfolding.

I didn't bother getting it sorted as we were approaching trade-in time but I would echo James77's point about getting it sorted under warranty.
Old Dec 4th, 2020, 16:25   #3
WABB
Volvo Owner

2019 XC60 same issue with driver side mirror regularly not returning to driving position - whole mirror assembly replaced by dealer (Scottish Borders) under warranty without question.
WABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2020, 16:35   #4
Lozzingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABB View Post
2019 XC60 same issue with driver side mirror regularly not returning to driving position - whole mirror assembly replaced by dealer (Scottish Borders) under warranty without question.
Wabb - do you mean the glass itself (say when reversing then going forward) as I have noticed this occasionally on my 2017 XC90. I have to press the button to point it upwards to how it was prior to reversing! The whole mirror unit does fold in/out when locking fine though.
I hadn't thought of it as a particular fault until this thread, but as I have the extended warranty for another year it may be wise to investigate - so thank you Op.
Lozzingers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lozzingers For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2020, 18:50   #5
WABB
Volvo Owner

Lozzingers - no it was the whole mirror assembly (body coloured) not folding out when car unlocked - occasionally at first then more frequent - dealer gave me the impression had seen the issue before so was happy to replace under warranty.
WABB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WABB For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2020, 19:05   #6
amadan

I suspect I’ve got this issue at the moment - on my car it seems to go hand in hand with the particular 360’ camera not working either.

I’ll have to contact my dealer at some point but I’ve another 2 1/2 years of warranty so will wait for it to get worse.
amadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2020, 09:17   #7
Ian1965

I recall having a wing mirror get stuck after one or 2 of our "vicious" southern England frosts last winter (!!!#!!). If it happens again this winter is this worth pursuing with a dealer? I seem to recall it was only the driver side too...
Old Dec 5th, 2020, 10:53   #8
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian1965 View Post
I recall having a wing mirror get stuck after one or 2 of our "vicious" southern England frosts last winter (!!!#!!). If it happens again this winter is this worth pursuing with a dealer? I seem to recall it was only the driver side too...
Spray some silicone spray in the swivel point of the mirror to stop them from freezing up, also on the door seals to stop the doors sticking, I use it every year as my doors freeze to the seals otherwise, especially the rear doors, the door top seals are the worst for freezing. Its cold up North.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Dec 5th, 2020 at 10:55.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2020, 16:19   #9
teefin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Spray some silicone spray in the swivel point of the mirror to stop them from freezing up, also on the door seals to stop the doors sticking, I use it every year as my doors freeze to the seals otherwise, especially the rear doors, the door top seals are the worst for freezing. Its cold up North.
Can you confirm what spray you use for the door rubbers we had an early frost the other day and the door was stuck a little and it wasn’t overly cold yet I’d rather prevent than come unstuck( see what I did there).
Old Dec 9th, 2020, 20:04   #10
sdenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by James77 View Post
Morning All.

Do you remember those wonderful COVID free days of early 2019, specifically January? I do it was just before setting off on a great week in the Alps and I collected an XC60 from the (not so) local dealer, no social distancing required!

On that day I noticed that the driver side wing mirror unfolded at a slower rate than the passenger, naturally I ignored it, just a quirk. However, over time it did start to annoy me and I noticed that it was labouring to 'unfurl' and more recently stopped half way on occasion.

Fast forward we're now near 2 years into this smoker so I thought prudent to get it addressed at the annual service (courtesy of the service plan).

The point of this unnecessarily long post is apparently it's a common fault more often than not drivers side, sometimes remedied with software update (apparently!?) but more often requires wing mirror gubbins replacement.

So if you're struggling with tardy wing mirrors it might be worth getting them appraised whilst in warranty or it'll cost you a pretty penny.
Is yours now sorted and do you know whether they replaced something inside the mirror or just made a software change? I have the same issue with laboured opening on the driver’s side only, but it has never got stuck yet. Sounds like I need to mention it at next service so thanks for posting this.