Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New v90 owner questions

Views : 2071

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 2nd, 2019, 13:52   #1
Geordiesteve

Default New v90 owner questions

Hi guys,

A couple of days after taking delivery of my 19 plate V90 R design D4 😍😍 and I'm starting to compile a few questions.... Which I'm sure will grow arms and legs lol

I have map displayed in driver console. Does this provide live updates? I assume the red and Amber lines indicates conjestion regardless of whether I have a destination selected on navigation?

The tiles on the sensus. The 3 tabs are displayed in black at night, but the tile for the phone is showing in brown why is this/ can it be changed?

Can the mirrors dip on reversing? I have the partial electric not fully electric seating.

I have my phone connected via Bluetooth to the car, but how do I connect my car and phone via WiFi, as I've tried to check updates and review the weather app ect and it says no connection?

Where is the engine temp displayed.

Thanks in advance for your responses and patience to the noob V90 owner.
Geordiesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2019, 14:09   #2
daverey

Geordiesteve

I've a V90 R-Design which I've had for 6 months now and its fantastic, but I'm only now feeling like I've got to grips with most of the functions!!

Map in the centre console is "live" - the red and amber lines should be live traffic advice. I have a free data SIM in the car so get the real time traffic updates and so far they seem to be fairly accurate.

Tiles - I think from memory that the brown phone colour is due to you having one particular display theme (minimalist maybe?). Try changing the theme to another one and see if this solves it?

My mirrors don't dip on reversing - not sure if this is possible but if it is it would have been an additional option that would have had to be spec'd.

Not sure on the BT/WiFi question. Best bet I reckon is to either buy a pre-loaded data SIM or get a Three free 200Mb a month SIM and put it in the holder (under the boot floor). This will give you enough data to run the standard apps such as weather or Glympse, but will quickly run out if you use the inbuilt spotify etc.

No engine temp display - safe to assume its all normal unless the car warns you otherwise.
Old Dec 2nd, 2019, 14:27   #3
Chief inspector
Master Member

1) The map doesnt live update, but the ‘traffic’ red and yellow lines do. Map update is free, best done via a USB stick.
2) The brown phone tile is linked to the display theme for the dash, it will change with that, but not in isolation.
3) The mirror dipping needs memory seats (I rarely use it)
4) The 12’’ LCD dash doesn’t show water temperature - the 8’’ one does but is no longer available in the UK (12’’ used to be an option)

Not sure what you mean about the tethering, I have a SIM in the boot that works the apps, I connect my phone via bluetooth for phone and audio. I dont use the cars hotspot.
Old Dec 2nd, 2019, 14:38   #4
Geordiesteve

I know what you mean. The tech and functions on the car are truly impressive, but it's certainly going to take a while to get used too.
If I don't opt for a sim in the boot how can I connect the wireless functionality so I can access the maps?
If I do opt for a sim in the boot what size will I need/ hom much?

In terms of changing the brown phone tile you mentioned changing the theme.... Where will I find this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverey View Post
Geordiesteve

I've a V90 R-Design which I've had for 6 months now and its fantastic, but I'm only now feeling like I've got to grips with most of the functions!!

Map in the centre console is "live" - the red and amber lines should be live traffic advice. I have a free data SIM in the car so get the real time traffic updates and so far they seem to be fairly accurate.

Tiles - I think from memory that the brown phone colour is due to you having one particular display theme (minimalist maybe?). Try changing the theme to another one and see if this solves it?

My mirrors don't dip on reversing - not sure if this is possible but if it is it would have been an additional option that would have had to be spec'd.

Not sure on the BT/WiFi question. Best bet I reckon is to either buy a pre-loaded data SIM or get a Three free 200Mb a month SIM and put it in the holder (under the boot floor). This will give you enough data to run the standard apps such as weather or Glympse, but will quickly run out if you use the inbuilt spotify etc.

No engine temp display - safe to assume its all normal unless the car warns you otherwise.
Old Dec 2nd, 2019, 14:41   #5
volvo s60 2001

Connect the car to the Internet via a Bluetooth-enabled phone

Create an Internet connection via Bluetooth by sharing your phone's Internet access and access several online services in the car.

To be able to connect the car to the Internet via a Bluetooth-connected phone, the phone has to have already been connected to the car via Bluetooth for a first time.

Make sure that your phone supports tethering and that this function is activated. On an iPhone, this function is known as "tethering". On Android phones, this function may have different names but is frequently known as "hotspot". For iPhones, the menu page "tethering" must also be open until the Internet connection has been established.

If the phone has been connected via Bluetooth previously, press Settings in the centre display top view.

Press CommunicationBluetooth Devices.

Tick the box for Bluetooth Internet connection under the heading Internet connection.

If another connection source has been used, confirm the option to change connection.

Your car is now connected to the Internet via the Bluetooth-connected phone.

NOTE

The telephone and network provider must support tethering (Internet connection sharing), and the subscription must include data.

NOTE

When using Apple CarPlay, it is only possible to connect the car to the Internet using Wi-Fi or the car modem.
volvo s60 2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2019, 15:27   #6
cassell
Member since 1988

I use a data sim in my car, a 3 network 12GB/12 month data sim is ideal, available from either Amazon or mymemory.com see attached link.

There is also a 24GB/24 month 3 network data sim from both suppliers. Amazon are usually a cheaper option for this one, as an example on Black Friday they were selling this for £32 which was an excellent price!

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/3-payg-4g...12gb-data.html
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2019, 18:44   #7
Geordiesteve

Thanks guys.
Davery I've changed the dials from minsmalist and the phone tile has changed as you rightly said.. So it's thd sane as the rest now!
I've also highlighted connect Bluetooth devices and I've now got access to the apps... Thanks Volvo s60.
If I get a data sim as cassel suggests, or if I make the car a hotspot do I get additional functionality to what I've got now via Bluetooth?
And if I stick with Bluetooth does it auto connect every time I get in the car?
The Following User Says Thank You to Geordiesteve For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2019, 18:59   #8
volvo s60 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordiesteve View Post
Thanks guys.
Davery I've changed the dials from minsmalist and the phone tile has changed as you rightly said.. So it's thd sane as the rest now!
I've also highlighted connect Bluetooth devices and I've now got access to the apps... Thanks Volvo s60.
If I get a data sim as cassel suggests, or if I make the car a hotspot do I get additional functionality to what I've got now via Bluetooth?
And if I stick with Bluetooth does it auto connect every time I get in the car?

Good to hear you have success 👍.
Yes the Bluetooth will automatically reconnect every time you start the car.
I recommend to put a data sim card and use the built-in apps for music. The difference in quality streaming music via the Bluetooth and playing the built-in apps via the modem is very big.
volvo s60 2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2019, 19:53   #9
Geordiesteve

Yeah thanks for keeping me right!!
If I opt for the data sim is its connection straight forward?
Also, the volvo on call. The car was a Volvo fleet car so the on call hadn't been activated. I assume this gives me three years as it was set up for me on Friday?

Love the remote start. Getting in this morning and having the seats steering wheel and heated screen on was perfect.
If I want to send nav to the car from the app, once in the car how do I call up the destination?

Thanks again 😊👍

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo s60 2001 View Post
Good to hear you have success 👍.
Yes the Bluetooth will automatically reconnect every time you start the car.
I recommend to put a data sim card and use the built-in apps for music. The difference in quality streaming music via the Bluetooth and playing the built-in apps via the modem is very big.
Old Dec 2nd, 2019, 22:39   #10
daverey

If you've already sent the destination to the car - either from the VOC app or from the Here Maps site - then in mine sometimes I get a notification on the main Sensus screen saying "New destination received", although not all the time.

However, from the satnav/maps display, click on "new destination" or "enter destination" and then "library", and it should be at the top of the list with the address and "sent to car" displayed.

My On call subscription was 3 years from purchase date by me, and not from registration, so I would imagine you get the 3 years from Friday.

With the data SIM it depends on what you want to use it for. I'm a bit of a dinosaur and have all my music on a USB thumb drive and listen to it that way, so my only data consumption is for things like the weather app, Glympse, llive traffic info etc, all of which uses very little data. For this the free Three 200Mb SIM is always more than enough, and I just ensure I update the maps and apps over USB or over home Wifi when parked on the drive. If you want to use the car's modem to stream via TuneIn or Spotify, or to download map updates etc, then you'll need to buy one with a much bigger data allowance.