Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 Map Update

Views : 2616

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 19th, 2020, 15:35   #1
snickuk

Default V90 Map Update

I am struggling to update the maps on my V90 Cross County (2017) and was wondering if anybody could help, please?

I have a brand new SanDisk 64GB USB, formatted to FAT32 and have downloaded the latest 'Sensus Update SPA North-West Europe' onto my Mac and subsequently the USB, as per Volvo's instructions. The download shows as complete and the 'check download' feature verifies the download. However, when I plug the USB in, the screen shows ‘Map data could not be read check USB and try again’. I have attached a PDF of images of the process for reference.

I have tried: turning the ignition on and off, reinserting the USB, reformatting the USB and downloading again but am presented with the same message every time.

I have contacted my local Volvo dealer who tired their USB, which the system accepted and asked to begin the update (which they are kindly going to complete for me at my next service), however, were perplexed as to why my USB won't work.

If anybody has had the same or similar issue and knows the solution to resolve it I would be very grateful. Thanks in anticipation.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Volvo Map Update Images.pdf (1.53 MB, 36 views)
snickuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2020, 16:24   #2
MikeGMT
VOC Member

I have just down loaded this update onto the Sensus, but did it 'Over the Air' as it is only a 2GB download.

With regard to doing the download via USB. I seem to recall that I had this problem once, when the download had finished I opened the desktop folder on my Mac and dragged the three or four folders to the USB and the car gave the 'cannot be read' message. To resolve the problem I cleared the USB and this time did not drag the enclosing folders to the USB. Instead each folder was opened and the contents selected and dragged over, and this solved the problem.

Alternatively you can download straight to the USB instead of the Mac.
Old Jun 19th, 2020, 17:36   #3
Mavi57

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickuk View Post
I am struggling to update the maps on my V90 Cross County (2017) and was wondering if anybody could help, please?

I have a brand new SanDisk 64GB USB, formatted to FAT32 and have downloaded the latest 'Sensus Update SPA North-West Europe' onto my Mac and subsequently the USB, as per Volvo's instructions. The download shows as complete and the 'check download' feature verifies the download. However, when I plug the USB in, the screen shows ‘Map data could not be read check USB and try again’. I have attached a PDF of images of the process for reference.

I have tried: turning the ignition on and off, reinserting the USB, reformatting the USB and downloading again but am presented with the same message every time.

I have contacted my local Volvo dealer who tired their USB, which the system accepted and asked to begin the update (which they are kindly going to complete for me at my next service), however, were perplexed as to why my USB won't work.

If anybody has had the same or similar issue and knows the solution to resolve it I would be very grateful. Thanks in anticipation.
My USB is formatted to exfat cluster 128 kb on Win10 PC and working fine
Mavi57 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mavi57 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2020, 20:18   #4
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:

Silly question - but assuming you car has two USB terminals in the glove box - are you plugging into the correct non-CarPlay socket?

I also use a very similar 64GB ScanDisc and a Mac System - and my ScanDisc has the identical properties to yours which kinda makes me think my above thought may be the answer - I had the same issue on my 1st Map Update as well.......!!!!

Last edited by simonjedrake; Jun 19th, 2020 at 21:34.
simonjedrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 12:49   #5
Arty68

I had the same problem I tried this forum and Swedespeed but no one seems to have come across it. Unfortunately my answer isn't going to help much as the car went in to have a few things done and I asked them to look at the map update thing . The good news is they updated the maps , the bad news is my wife picked up the car but didn't ask how they updated the maps so I'm none the wiser just hope I can do OTA updates from now.

Oh and my car only has 1 usb port
Arty68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 17:15   #6
geclinke

Smile

Thought I'd reply, as I seemed to be having the same problem, and stumbled across this thread.
I got things working in the end, but only by downloading the whole Europe map - the 50+ GB download.
What I did notice is that the files on the drive are a totally different structure, than if I download just the North West Europe maps.
Don't know if that's what fixed things, but it looks like that was the issue to me.

To summarise, this worked;

System: Win10 PC
USB: SanDisk Ultra 64 GB USB Flash Drive USB 3.0 Up to 130 MB/s Read, Black
Formatted: 128kb exFAT
Map: https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...aps/spa/europe

I've got a 2017 XC90, but I guess the process is the same for all Sensus systems.
geclinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2022, 15:09   #7
fonyod24

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by geclinke View Post
Thought I'd reply, as I seemed to be having the same problem, and stumbled across this thread.
I got things working in the end, but only by downloading the whole Europe map - the 50+ GB download.
What I did notice is that the files on the drive are a totally different structure, than if I download just the North West Europe maps.
Don't know if that's what fixed things, but it looks like that was the issue to me.

To summarise, this worked;

System: Win10 PC
USB: SanDisk Ultra 64 GB USB Flash Drive USB 3.0 Up to 130 MB/s Read, Black
Formatted: 128kb exFAT
Map: https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...aps/spa/europe

I've got a 2017 XC90, but I guess the process is the same for all Sensus systems.
You are a star geclinke!
This method worked for me too on a UK XC90 2016 using a 64GB USB stick on a FAT32 format.
It struck me that so many owners with the same problem had it rectified by their dealership by them just sticking their USB stick in.
So it had to be either the stick (format) or the software used.
I appreciate that there are other causes around but on UK cars that seemed to be a general theme looking at the different forums.
fonyod24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 11:27   #8
Franko1960

Quote:

You should download the maps directly to the USB. If you download to hard drive then transfer to USB, some files can be lost.
Old Oct 13th, 2022, 07:38   #9
fonyod24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonyod24 View Post
You are a star geclinke!
This method worked for me too on a UK XC90 2016 using a 64GB USB stick on a FAT32 format.
It struck me that so many owners with the same problem had it rectified by their dealership by them just sticking their USB stick in.
So it had to be either the stick (format) or the software used.
I appreciate that there are other causes around but on UK cars that seemed to be a general theme looking at the different forums.
Celebrated too early!
Europe map started downloading but stopped at 80% everytime. After reading here that one has to try it several times occasionally I kept going. After about 6 attempts I stopped with my maps now being wiped out.
I then tried something else mentioned in this forum before: I updated the voice control software.
I also formatted the USB stick back to ex-FAT from FAT32 seeing a prompt on the Volvo website when I tried to downlad the map directly onto my USB stick. It seems that exFAT, FAT32 and NTFS are all allowed on at my Sensus 2016 system at least.
I was able to download Europe map after downloading the updated voice control software without problems then.
Not sure whether updating the voice software, re-formatting to exFat or both did it.
Just if you are wondering: The voice control is as bad as it was before the update!
fonyod24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2022, 19:12   #10
OldEngineer

Isn't the solution just to follow the Volvo Instructions and download straight to the USB?
Putting it on your computer first just misses the hidden files.