Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo D5244T4 Limp-mode 3000+ rev Engine Service Required

Views : 1236

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 30th, 2017, 21:17   #1
Vraces

Unhappy Volvo D5244T4 Limp-mode 3000+ rev Engine Service Required

Hello everyone!

Let me tell you a little story about our Volvo V70 D5. A short time after we bought this wonderful vehicle the pipe that is connected underneath the engine to the turbocharger was detached due to the pressure and defective gasket. I thought not much of it and put the gasket back on and tightened the pipe a little harder to the turbo. Weeks later we went on a trip to our homeland. On our way back through Germany and their autobahn I was driving at 200km/h approximately. All of a sudden the car loses all its turbo capabilities and even worse, I can't drive faster than 20km/h. So we get off the highway slowly but surely and park somewhere near the highway. I attempt to make some kind of a gasket with a latex glove as I was desperate to get the car working again. This worked for a short time and then the pipe got detached again. So this time I disconnected the cable that goes to the EGR-valve thinking that this will allow me to drive the car without a turbo. Which it did. So I was driving a D5, 2.4D style all the way home. After getting a new head for the pipe and gasket I installed it and secured it tightly. Now I have another problem...

When I rev over 3000 r/min I get the message "Engine Service Required" and the car will not react to any further depressing of the gas pedal. Exactly no reaction. But if I fiddle with the gas pedal, releasing and depressing back and forth, the car resets and the power is restored to normal. But if I keep trying to go beyond 3000, 3500 and sometimes even 3700 if I'm lucky, then I get this problem again. I read the codes and I got Intake Manifold Swirl Flap and Mass Airflow Sensor. I changed the MAF but thought that the swirl flap function had nothing to do with this. I have changed, fuel filter, air filter, oil, oil filter, but still I haven't noticed anything that's changed. I even checked the EGR-valve to see if it's clogged or something, but I found nothing.

Things that I think about are:

* What if the latex glove or part of it went through the system and got stuck somewhere(although I probably removed all of it(unsure.))

* What if by disconnecting the EGR-valve I caused some other function in the car to take damage from that.

I miss my Volvo the way it used to be. So please if you have any knowledge, personal experience or friend's story then please do share. But please do not comment if you don't actually know what you're talking about. I'm already confused as it is and I don't have money to throw away.

I wait intensely for your answers, thank you.
Vraces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 16:55   #2
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

It's cheaper to try cleaning a duff MAF than replacing it. 50/50 chance a can of CRC or Halfrauds special will work.

A duff EGR will not do any real harm, BUT if you discoonect it that is an illegal act. Normally fiddling around with an engine in an attempt to clear a fault is not, but the EGR is part of the required emissions control system.
Alas it also partially invalidates the insurance as it is an undeclared Mod.

The latex glove might have caused the turbo fault.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 17:48   #3
Vraces

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
It's cheaper to try cleaning a duff MAF than replacing it. 50/50 chance a can of CRC or Halfrauds special will work.

A duff EGR will not do any real harm, BUT if you discoonect it that is an illegal act. Normally fiddling around with an engine in an attempt to clear a fault is not, but the EGR is part of the required emissions control system.
Alas it also partially invalidates the insurance as it is an undeclared Mod.

The latex glove might have caused the turbo fault.
Well I tried spraying it and as expected nothing happened, so I replaced it. At the time when I disconnected the EGR I didn't know it was illegal neither would I care if it was/is. I had an emergency and the last thing on my mind was mother nature. The turbo is working fine but when I rev hard it feels restricted. As if there is no air coming through or fuel. I have no idea how I'm supposed to look inside an inter-cooler to see if a piece of latex is in it. Sigh... That's life...
Vraces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 22:06   #4
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Did you clean the intake manifold or use a spray cleaner when the EGR was checked ??
It needs doing every main cam service and would not cause the intermittent limp mode, BUT a badly clogged intake can upset the turbo.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 20:00   #5
jamesey

is the intake easy to take off and clean?
jamesey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d5244t4, engine service required, limp mode, rev 3000, turbo