Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

URGENT Passenger side rear window

Views : 1438

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 14th, 2017, 12:18   #21
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexO View Post
Chaps,

I managed to pick up a window from a scrappy in Staines called Wraysbury Auto parts. Really nice guys and their service was great so I'll definitely be going back. They had to cut the seal to get the window out but luckily the old one looks in good condition so hopefully I can use it again.

Luckily I've got the use of a very large shed at the moment so I'll try and get this in this evening if I can find a willing pair of hands. Updates to come but in the mean time thanks so much for everyone's help, I really appreciate it.

Cheers

Alex
I've fitted them by using lots of WD40 in the window channel of the rubber and doing the "string technique". Google it. Its an easy job with 2 people.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2017, 20:57   #22
Reg E

Glad you managed to get hold of the glass.

Crappy thing to happen when you are out and about but at least you have the 240 and the glass back to base so you can plan the next move.

I could offer a pair of hands but my experience of refitting glass is along the lines of ( Oh *ugger it cracked, lets get in the professionals for the replacement

But seriously, I'm not a million miles away so message me if you want any help.

Last edited by Reg E; Dec 14th, 2017 at 21:12.
Reg E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 21:05   #23
Reg E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg E View Post
Glad you managed to get hold of the glass.

Crappy thing to happen when you are out and about but at least you have the 240 and the glass back to base so you can plan the next move.

I could offer a pair of hands but my experience of refitting glass is along the lines of ( Oh *ugger it cracked, lets get in the professionals for the replacement

But seriously, I'm not a million miles away so message me if you want any help.
So, did you get it sorted?
Reg E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 17:36   #24
AlexO

Chaps,

Sorry for the silence but Christmas events overtook me. In short: yes!

Aside from the unpleasant task of getting all of the broken glass out of the old seal with a screwdriver this was actually one of the easiest fixes I've ever done. With the string technique, strong thumbs and a young lady to stand outside the car with a hand on the glass to stop it tipping out it took maybe half an hour to do? It's great and looks as good as new!

By the way I ended up getting the glass from Wraysbury Car Spares in Staines. Great couple of chaps and really good price at £40 as opposed to the £100(!!!!!) some people were asking. I'll definitely be back.

Now, to fix this lambda light problem...

Cheers

Alex