Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Newbie looking for advice

Views : 314

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2024, 06:09   #1
V70ronnie

Smile Newbie looking for advice

Hi to all just bought 54 plate volvo v70 2.4 car only delivered around 9pm so not had a chance to get a decent look over it any tips for a new volvo v70 driver thanks guys
V70ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2024, 16:27   #2
myfirstv70

Welcome! I'd drive it and report back if there's anything untoward ie knocks, slurring/ rough changing autoboxes. They are a damn good car but they still need to have been maintained. The search function on this site has always been a bit weak - search in google for specific problems and it'll almost certainly send you back to the right place on here. Might also be wise to state whether it's manual or auto, miles, service history, petrol or diesel - all the things that build the picture of how it's been looked after. Rightly or wrongly if I see a car on crap, cheap tyres then I'm walking away - if you can't invest on something that prevents certain death then you'll probably skimp on brakes and oil changes etc etc....
Just my tuppen'orth!
Cheers,
Nobby
myfirstv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to myfirstv70 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2024, 17:15   #3
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

yeah nothing really to worry about on these cars just drive it and come back for advice if things go wrong

at that age you'll be looking for rubber bits perished, tired suspension, wear and tear on the insides, nothing that isn't exactly the same for any other brand of car

wishbone bushes and handbrakes are common topics of conversation when people first take over ownership of an old V70 so maybe watch a couple of youtube videos and do searches on that

speaking of youtube the A1 auto videos tend to be excellent, theres a woman on there doing all the main jobs and she explains pretty clearly albeit on a LHD car

get VIDA if you can (VCX nano tool and software free to download to a windows 10 laptop) for full diagnostics, diagrams, part numbers, how to guides etc

stick to volvo OEM parts wherever possible because they are good quality and last ages. I get nearly everything on ebay. I use scandix web shop with my VIN to get part numbers (or VIDA) and then copy and paste that part number into ebay, works most of the time. Scandix is EU so delivery costs since brexit make it pretty much useless to us in the UK other than as a parts catalouge

also keep an eye out for 4x4 he's up your way and no doubt has good recommendations / local knowledge of workshops etc

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jan 18th, 2024 at 17:20.
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2024, 14:54   #4
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

54 plate means it's a 2004, right?
If the dash gauges have silver rings, it's the new, improved design.
If it has no such trim, certain cold soldered joints are likely to fail. The blue high-beam indicator is a common first symptom.

s b mentioned the condition of the handbrakes.
The shoes' lining often separates and under the right circumstances can cause a lot of damage. Volvo shoes only.
Removal of the rear brake discs is needed to do this-both sides.

Get back to us re odo, fuel, transmission type, service history.
It's a non-turbo?
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2024, 15:09   #5
4x4
I roll

As with any 20 year old car it is most likely going to need a bit of TLC. Most importantly the timing belt and ancillaries, serpentine belt and tensioner should have been done, timing belt should be every 108,000 miles, serpentine belt every 54,000 miles. If automatic then gearbox fluids should be changed, lots on info online about how to do it. Brake fluid and power steering should be flushed. All are jobs that are often neglected and need done to keep the car reliable for many years ahead.
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2024, 15:14   #6
Simmy
Premier Member

iv had my volvo v70 almost 9 years so have encountered most maintenance issues. the more info you can provide about your car will help fourm members keep you on the road . some of the things about running a v70 have already been mentioned .keep posting any progress or findings.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2024, 21:28   #7
DieselDoNicely
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V70ronnie View Post
Hi to all just bought 54 plate volvo v70 2.4 car only delivered around 9pm so not had a chance to get a decent look over it any tips for a new volvo v70 driver thanks guys
Replace the handbrake shoes before you take it out next. Is this a facelift model?
Also 2.4 is it petrol or diesel?

Wishbone bushes on the front could be oil filled back then, the car wanders about the place.

Dont break the cup holder.
2005 V70 SE D5 Geartronic 205,000 miles 55
2011 V70 Lux D3 Geartronic 220,000 miles
DieselDoNicely is offline   Reply With Quote