Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

(and V70) - Software Driven Electronics - eBay users beware!

Views : 302342

Replies : 154

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 29th, 2008, 19:44   #31
wezo00

Hi there,
What about RSE system (DVD headrests)? I plan to install new RSE kit in a '05 V70 but regarding specs, it seems it cannot be installed in a 2005. Is it a software limitation? Is there a way to pass through and install a RSE in a 2005?
Thanks in advance!
wezo00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 20:33   #32
Clan
Experienced Member

Most of the RSE systems in the XC90 were installed by VOLVO UK so have nothing to do with the rest of the cars electrics , they are stand alone . Not sure whether they were factory fitted from 2006 or not ...
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 21:58   #33
wezo00

Why are they (RSE kits) specific for 2007 and up (S60/V70/XC70)? Is it only for color matching?? So no software needed?

Last edited by wezo00; Dec 29th, 2008 at 22:24.
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 05:21   #34
wezo00

I finally bought a RSE kit and it's NOT restrictive to '07 S60/V70. It fits on all S60/V70/XC70. It's stand alone and no software needed.

Back to purpose of this thread...
Can I install (and have a dealer download) a used HU-XXX in my car if this used radio come from a scrap yard (dead car)?
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 18:38   #35
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wezo00 View Post
Back to purpose of this thread...
Can I install (and have a dealer download) a used HU-XXX in my car if this used radio come from a scrap yard (dead car)?

Officialy no , any "foreign" module could cause software corruption next time a module is re loded on the car . Very expensive to sort out if it happens as the car electrics die ....
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 00:05   #36
$hed
piehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Officialy no , any "foreign" module could cause software corruption next time a module is re loded on the car . Very expensive to sort out if it happens as the car electrics die ....
do you know anybody this as happened to
$hed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 08:29   #37
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by $hed View Post
do you know anybody this as happened to
NO , because that kind of thing is not done in the trade , and only the trade are equipped to do such things they know the score , its called shooting yourself in the foot ...Imagine the scenario , an employee breaks the terms of contract of using the equipment , he might sneak the car in on a saturday morning and has a dead car in the workshop , what is the boss going to do ? How is he going to sort the problem ? there are implications because when and if it happens volvo will wash their hands of the case and there will be no support ... only a fool would attempt this as an employee or representative of a Volvo dealer
you are on your own .
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 20:38   #38
wezo00

What I understand in reading all post here is that a brand new radio cannot work without a software. And once initialised by a software, a radio can work in other car (experieced by some users) without new sofware. BUT it can cause electronic conflicts if you attempt to overwrite the original software. Am I right?
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 21:58   #39
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wezo00 View Post
What I understand in reading all post here is that a brand new radio cannot work without a software. And once initialised by a software, a radio can work in other car (experieced by some users) without new sofware. BUT it can cause electronic conflicts if you attempt to overwrite the original software. Am I right?
almost ,

a brand new virgin radio or a used radio will work , just the display wont light up and steering wheel buttons wont work ..
Once loaded with the correct software for the car the radio cannot be overwritten with software for another car , only its original software if needed .
If a foreign radio is being used, conflicts can arise when the car is connected to the main volvo computer for other software downloads, or reloading old or new modules as it checks the ID of every module in the car to make sure the serial number and part number match its database if not it blocks any further software as a mismatch and has been known to kill the car , ie shut down all the modules . .
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 19:27   #40
wezo00

I like to take some risks so I bought a used HU-850 + PA-300 to replace my HU-650. The swap was easy and everything works fine (sound, light up, ...).

The HU-850 come from an '06 XC70 from a scrap yard, my car is an '05 V70. Compatibility is 100%. No software needed.

This experience is similar to the RSE system (dual DVD set) wich Volvo only recommand to install in '07 and younger. I also installed these in my '05. 100% working.

So DON'T believe what Volvo say!...

Last edited by wezo00; Jan 30th, 2009 at 19:39.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wezo00 For This Useful Post: