Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help! Occational white smoke and heavy accel smoking

Views : 2899

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 6th, 2011, 13:18   #1
TylerWatts

Exclamation Help! Occational white smoke and heavy accel smoking

Hello Gents

Recently my Mrs' 02 D5 has started puffing a large cloud of white smoke when cold leaving home in the morning and any heavy acceleration from low engine speed is giving out significant black smoke (overfuelling).
It had brand new injectors less than 2 years ago, along with a new intercooler around the same time, has had the EGR blanked for a year now, along with a new MAF a couple months ago, and has been generally quite healthy. Recently though she's said it has had less 'get up' and been a bit sluggish. Surprising as the thing has always had excellent response and pick-up, ignoring the auto box's sluggish response...

I've had a look through the forum and not really had any direction to what might cause white smoke, common answer is unburnt fuel, but I don't understand this. Unburnt fuel should be black, as the car is producing also. White I thought to be water. However, if black is overfuelling (burning in exhaust, not cylinder and too rich) and white is not burnign at all, then this would make sense for it happening when cold and from standstill with accelerating.

Do the glow plugs stay on (hot) for a significant period, or do they switch off once the engine has started? I've assumed their operation to be very short during cold start only, but I might be wrong. Could they cause this problem? Over-fuelling is strange also as the MAF is new and resolved an earlier smokey condition and lack of power.

Please let me know what you think, I'vehad similar experience with interpendent and dealer garages being of little use outside their financial gain so thoguth it best to ask those who actually know and care! I'll fix the problem myself before askign Volvo to take a look, which is disappointing really, but what else can we do?!

Thanks
Tyler
TylerWatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 13:34   #2
TylerWatts

Also worth noting, the missus got caught speeding (37mph over a bridge in town...) recently and took the driver awareness course and has been very vigilant about her driving recently, not working the car nearly as hard as before (she could qualify for a rally driver, honestly!) and I read up about the DPF cleaning procedure in the ECU (not sure if applicable to her car) and wondered if the relaxed drivign has been requiring more frequent cleaning? She commutes 25miles each way to work, on dual carriage way, 50% time over 80mph and 50% in traffic averaging 20mph.

If any mroe info could help shout and I'll post what I can. Thanks!
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 15:02   #3
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerWatts View Post
Also worth noting, the missus got caught speeding (37mph over a bridge in town...) recently and took the driver awareness course and has been very vigilant about her driving recently, not working the car nearly as hard as before (she could qualify for a rally driver, honestly!) and I read up about the DPF cleaning procedure in the ECU (not sure if applicable to her car) and wondered if the relaxed drivign has been requiring more frequent cleaning? She commutes 25miles each way to work, on dual carriage way, 50% time over 80mph and 50% in traffic averaging 20mph.

If any mroe info could help shout and I'll post what I can. Thanks!
1. Your car will not have a DPF at that age.

2. If she is doing 50% of her journey at over 80 mph it will not be long before she racks up more points and also a nasty increase in insurance premiums.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 15:08   #4
TylerWatts

Unhappy

Thanks Darryl, but speeding wasn't really the thread topic, more information for how the vehicle is used. In the 4 years she's had the car and driven it like that (and faster) she's never had a speeding ticket, it was unfortunately crossing a bridge where she accelerated up and the car contnued to accelerate down the other side of said bridge that she got the speeding ticket, but no points...

Has anybody any experience or advise regardign the smoking issue with my D5 please? Thanks
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 16:12   #5
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerWatts View Post
Thanks Darryl, but speeding wasn't really the thread topic, more information for how the vehicle is used. In the 4 years she's had the car and driven it like that (and faster) she's never had a speeding ticket, it was unfortunately crossing a bridge where she accelerated up and the car contnued to accelerate down the other side of said bridge that she got the speeding ticket, but no points...

Has anybody any experience or advise regardign the smoking issue with my D5 please? Thanks

White smoke from start up on a diesel is usually unburnt fuel which is often down to a defective glow plug/s on that particular cylinder/s. If you stand at the back of the car and smell the smoke it will give you a good clue.
If it is acrid and smells of diesel then it is pointing to unburnt fuel at start up.
If the white smoke smells sweet that indicates coolant being burnt and points towards a head gasket.
The glow plugs only operate at start up and are dependent on engine temperature as to how long for. At this time of year it would be minimal.
Your engine will be the 163bhp and will definitely not have a DPF so driving pattern/style/journey is nowhere near as critical as on mine with a 185bhp engine and DPF.
Hope this helps.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic

Last edited by S60D5-185; Jul 6th, 2011 at 16:14.
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 08:06   #6
TylerWatts

Exclamation

That helps alot, thanks Darryl. Yes, 163bhp model. I will try catch a whiff of the exhaust this weekend (I'm at work an hour before she even leaves the house) and see what I find.

Does anybody have a method for diagnosing dud glow plugs please? I would have thought the ECU would know and put a horrible message on the dash, but not had any.

Thanks
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 16:45   #7
Red Snapper

I had this for the first time the other week when visiting my folks. The car had been running for 5-10 mins before I left.

I shot off quicker than normal and noticed a large amount of white smoke in the rear view mirror.

I haven't had it since, but was wondering why it would have done this. No mesages about glow plugs either?

'You'll Never Walk Alone'
Red Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 07:43   #8
TylerWatts

Exclamation

Can anybody else support Darryl's suggested problem please, or offer an alternative?

Any ideras how we test out glow plugs? I'd prefer not to ask Mr Volvo to take 80 of my hard earned to plug a machine into the ECU that tells him the ECU doesn't know whether the glow plug is failing or not...

Thanks!
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 23:07   #9
S60-MBS
VOC Member

Dont forget it could also be a split intercooler or split intercooler pipework ,these also cause smoke on accelaration.look under front bumper for oil/wet patches and bulges in intercooler.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 08:23   #10
TylerWatts

Thumbs up

I'd be very disappointed if it is intercooler related as the intercooler was replaced a couple years ago at great expense from Volvo! I'll look at the pipes, but I'd associate a split pipe with wooshing or hissing noises and none such exist, and the Mrs is very particular and observant of changes in her car's behaviour!

Thank you for the suggestions gentlemen! I'll try get back some feedback.
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerWatts For This Useful Post:

Tags
diesel, smoke