Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bluetooth upgrade for built-in phone

Views : 7320

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 21st, 2012, 22:18   #1
gmonag
Premier Member

Default Bluetooth upgrade for built-in phone

My MY2005 XC90 Executive has a built in phone. However it is impossible in UK to get an extra SIM using the same number as my existing HTC mobile. So... fit a new SIM to the car (with a new number - complicates things) or upgrade the car system with Bluetooth to connect to my mobile?

Does anyone know if there is a suitable upgrade? I want to be able to use the car system, without inserting a SIM, via my existing mobile.

Greg
gmonag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 02:16   #2
hancym
Master Member

I agree, I have the same issues and would be interested to know if its possible.
hancym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 12:08   #3
sumomeister

I asked the same thing 18 months ago, didn't get any solutions then, so installed a standard bluetooth car kit. Shame though, not being able to use the kit already built into the car.
sumomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 16:36   #4
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

as far as I know there isn't a solution. Vodafone some years ago had a scheme called multi-sim, though this wasn't cheap. Bluetooth is the answer, or just divert calls to the car number?
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 17:52   #5
gmonag
Premier Member

Diverting calls to the car number seems the best solution to me too.

Greg
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 18:29   #6
hancym
Master Member

The trouble with that is if no call is made from the car phone for 6 months Vodafone take your money and kill the phone number! The divert solution is only good if you "maintain" two lines. Personally I object to having to pay for calls from a PAYT line when I have a free corporate number in a hand phone and also a contract phone with a shed load of free call time.
hancym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 18:39   #7
gmonag
Premier Member

The ideal solution is to have a second SIM which mirrors your mobile. Incoming calls would ring both phones. Outgoing calls from either phone use the same number. I understand this can be done in Europe and other places but not UK. O2 acted as if I was crazy when I asked them!

Greg
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 20:51   #8
XC90 Dave

Default Call Forwarding

This topic has been discussed on numerous occasions, see thread

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=87522

As far as using the built in phone I have had no issues since using a 2G pay as you go SIM card, mine from Virgin (3G don't work). I was going to add bluetooth also, but by either using quick keys on a Nokia or favorites on my iPhone and the wifes Samsung, it's so easy to transfer your mobile to the car phone, I'm not going to bother with bluetooth. For those that are interested, this is how I set up call divert and divert cancel (iPhone as an example).

1. set up a new contact - call divert with the phone number as *21*simcard phone no.#
2. set up a new contact - cancel divert with the phone number as #21#
3. store these in your favorites
4. use the appropriate favorite call to transfer your mobile to or from your car phone
XC90 Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90 Dave For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 21:37   #9
Banzai

Tip: Copy your contact list from your main phone SIM to the car SIM and when a forwarded call is received in the car the name of the caller appears on the display.
Banzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 21:22   #10
Coconut
Older than Junior Member

AFAIK Orange UK are the only Mobile network provider that will provide a second SIM card - they call it "Orange Single Number" and it is available to Business customers for £3 a month.

The way it works is that the SIM in your Mobile phone ( eg iPhone / Blackberry etc ) is designated as the Primary SIM, and the SIM in the car set is designated as the secondary SIM.

The SIM's are set up so that anyone calling your mobile number will automatically be routed to your iPhone / Blackberry etc. UNLESS the car phone is switched on, and then they wll be routed to the car phone SIM.

No messing about swapping SIM cards or diverting numbers whenever you want to drive somewhere, it just works automatically when you switch the car phone on.

This is what I have and I love it :-)

2008 XC90 D5 Executive, Sandstone Beige Leather, Active Bi-Xenons, Electric Sun Roof, Roof rails, Climate Control, Twin electric front heated seats, Volvo DTi, Full integrated phone, Westfalia Tow Bar....
Coconut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coconut For This Useful Post: