Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DPF problems? hmmmm......

Views : 6592

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 31st, 2010, 09:52   #21
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_56 View Post
Correction, I posted that in the related thread "comparing Volvo diesel engines".
Ah yes, that would be the post where you quote some recalls that according to the reference you gave were not done in the UK and the only one that had an XC60 in it was for engine oil pressure not DPF

I guess I will wait for the poster to provide the information that I asked for as he is the person who will know
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 11:28   #22
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Ah yes, that would be the post where you quote some recalls that according to the reference you gave were not done in the UK and the only one that had an XC60 in it was for engine oil pressure not DPF

I guess I will wait for the poster to provide the information that I asked for as he is the person who will know
I didn't realise you were still confused by that.

Volvo have issued two recalls at eruopa.eu. One describes the rising oil level problem and doesn't include S60s, the earlier models XC90 XC70, V70. The other includes the S60 and these earlier models XC70, XC90 and V70.

The only recall letter I received, for my S60, describes 'rising oil-level', and mentions it also applies to some V70, XC70 & XC90, exactly as listed in the recall for 'rising oil pressure'. Therefor I'm open-minded to the possibility that the term 'oil-pressure' in the on-line text was a typo'.

Neither recall mentions the UK, and yet 0742/10 lists the exact same serial numbers as a recall listed at VOSA for a rising oil-level problem. In essence, they seem to have made a dog's breakfast the recall lists, but my clear understanding is it's safe to assume, if you a Euro 4 D5, that your car will be affected.
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 12:09   #23
Bill_56
Premier Member

With apologies for consecutive posts,

You know, it would be good if we could clarify whether any Euro 4 163/185 Diesels were exempt from the recall, and if so why?

I assume that among forum members there'll be some enthusiastic guys (or gals) from Volvo. If so, any chance one of you could clarify..?

Last edited by Bill_56; Jul 31st, 2010 at 14:54. Reason: Clarified 163/185 ('D5s)
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 09:39   #24
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Hi All

This whole DPF issue is a real nightmare from what I’ve read across the forum.

I’ve just taken delivery of a new MY2011 XC90 D5 and would be very interested to know if this year of D5 is just as effected as the previous years or has Volvo done anything to improve the situation? (I started a poll on the XC90 group to try and see what years of XC90 D5’s are affected - MY2006, MY2007, MY2008, MY2009, MY2010, MY2011) http://volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=101260

I have not received any kind of recall letter – maybe because the car is too new, but would be very good to know if I have pending DPF doom looming in the near future…
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 11:03   #25
Bill_56
Premier Member

Hi LRS,

I'm guessing a 2011 model may have been born with the new software, but will it also have the reduced oil-fill? Who knows. If it were me I'd keep a very close eye on the oil level, especially over winter. And, if it appears to be rising, don't put it down to imagination.
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 18:47   #26
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_56 View Post
Hi LRS,

I'm guessing a 2011 model may have been born with the new software, but will it also have the reduced oil-fill? Who knows. If it were me I'd keep a very close eye on the oil level, especially over winter. And, if it appears to be rising, don't put it down to imagination.
Thanks Bill_56

Yes, I'm checking it religiously every 2 weeks.

I'm also only using ether (Shell V-Power Diesel) or (BP Ultimate Diesel) to ensure good additives and no fear of any bio-diesel mixed in. The car also gets a good 40 minutes down the motorway 2-3 times a week, which hopefully will also help delay the DPF reaper...Why Volvo can't just fix this with the installation of simple additional injector directly into the exhaust like HGVs have done, rather than flood the cylinder with diesel seems very short sighted and can't cost that much to do.

What did the new engine software update do? Was it related to reducing the amount of diesel injected during the exhaust stroke?
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 20:17   #27
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS View Post
Thanks Bill_56

... no fear of any bio-diesel mixed in. ...
There is the same amount of bio-diesel in the 'performance' fuels as the other fuels.

There are some very good posts around in here that explain that all diesel is made the same and the additives for v-power, ultimate, excellium, etc are added by the delivery tanker driver when he fills up at the depot. I think that all diesel in UK is now ULSD and as it is the sulphur that causes the soot problems then all fuels will be equal in this respect. I agree that the detergents in the performance fuels can help clean injectors on an older car.

Never used the expensive fuel and never had any issues

Last edited by wimorrison; Aug 1st, 2010 at 20:21.
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 21:13   #28
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS View Post
... What did the new engine software update do? Was it related to reducing the amount of diesel injected during the exhaust stroke?
That's a very good question, and one that Volvo have resolutely refused to answer. They won't tell the vehicle owners, and they won't tell the dealers either (or so my own dealer has advised me, despite much nagging from me).

If they have reduced the fuel used in regeneration, it begs the question of whether sufficient fuel is now being is now being used to cover regeneration in all eventualities. I understand that regeneration is more challenging in winter, for example, owing to the longer time it takes for exhaust to reach temperature.

I agree with wimorrison that all fuel contains equal bio. I've seen it claimed that V-Power is kinder to DPFs because it's make-up produces less soot, which reduces the frequency of DPF regen's. But personally I'm not convinced, I just use the standard (branded) forecourt diesels.
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 15:33   #29
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
There is the same amount of bio-diesel in the 'performance' fuels as the other fuels.

There are some very good posts around in here that explain that all diesel is made the same and the additives for v-power, ultimate, excellium, etc are added by the delivery tanker driver when he fills up at the depot. I think that all diesel in UK is now ULSD and as it is the sulphur that causes the soot problems then all fuels will be equal in this respect. I agree that the detergents in the performance fuels can help clean injectors on an older car.

Never used the expensive fuel and never had any issues
Shell V power diesel is a bit different in that it uses the gas to liquid technology (it's made from natural gas) they use in their race cars. That's the reason you can't buy it at every Shell station as I think it needs a separate storage tank and one of the reasons it has a higher cetane rating and gives better mpg. It is designed to burn cleaner. Unfortunatly current EU legislation means they have to put biodiesel in it, as is in all diesel avaible in the UK.
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 22:15   #30
scooby

mine just had service and some more new software and a new sticker for the new lower oil level it has to run now.
scooby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dpf white smoke diesel