Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stormy weather

Views : 2012

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 14:46   #1
Derek UK
VOC Member

Default Stormy weather

Tom Madge-Wyld (NW London) - Hope this wasn't too big a hit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _99451692_16e78d57-14e7-4962-b54c-feb49d951576psc.jpg (70.6 KB, 135 views)

Last edited by Derek UK; Jan 3rd, 2018 at 14:59.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 16:10   #2
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Looks like the big girl just laughed it off!

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NI_Volvo_Nut For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 17:13   #3
Old Cabbie

Default 122S on BBC website

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Tom Madge-Wyld (NW London) - Hope this wasn't too big a hit.
I have just joined the forum because of that car. It is I believe registered as KYC556D. I bought the car for £450 in 1974. It had a Ruddspeed conversion I do not know to which stage but it had a different manifold, lowered front springs and a hot camshaft so I believe. It also had a full length sunroof by Golde which had an interior green mesh cover which was fastened to the headlining by a series of poppers. It allowed ventilation without draught or glare. It was a non overdrive model.

I bought it from a Saab garage (Grosvenor Garage?) London Rd Bath. I was the second owner. The former owner Alderman Berry was a former Mayor of Bath and a local estate agent. He was the father of Mary Berry and the car sported the registration DAB 1 which unsurprisingly he retained. I understand though I have no proof that this car was sold to a TV presenter (Martin Bashir?) at some stage.

The car had been in an accident and cheaply repaired but went well, I remember coming off well in a dustup with a Cortina GT. When I owned the car it sported wing mirrors and twin Lucas driving/fog lamps iirc. I owned the car for about 2 years but was really unable to give it the financial attention it deserved as I was in my late 20s with a wife, family and mortgage. The starter jammed when my wife was driving it and I had to renew the starter ring, I had the distributor (Bosch?) rebuilt and ran it on Pirelli Cints. Also had problems with the ignition key tearing (I bought a couple) and the dipswitch. Sold it in the end at a great loss for £125 to a local garage in Weston Bath who sold it on but was taken to court for misrepresentation!

Lovely to see the car again but not under these circumstances, hope the car survives.
Old Cabbie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Old Cabbie For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 17:21   #4
Triple-S
How Old?

It's always nice to get the full picture of an older car which is still in use. I only wish I could get similar for my latest acquisition, a '69 164 which is 1-previous owner (since deceased) and may have been an embassy car as it is black.
Offers on where to look please.

Paul
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Triple-S For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 18:02   #5
gillberry
VOC Member

Hopefully not too damaged 😞

1968 Amazon estate (Gracie).
2003 Vauxhall astra estate (her car)
2009 XC90 (Jo) .
Not forgetting 1967 Cheltenham Nyala (caravan)
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gillberry For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 19:36   #6
toad_overload

That's close!

How funny this car is near my mums house in Highbury I used to walk past it regularly on the way to the tube was the inspiration for me buying my 1967 121 (Jane) in 2009.
toad_overload is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to toad_overload For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 19:18   #7
JC T ONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Cabbie View Post

I have just joined the forum because of that car.
Hi & welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Cabbie View Post

It also had a full length sunroof by Golde.
Yes Golde made the sunroofs for Volvo.
The Swedish Amazon club had 11 of the cabrio coach type on their list, in the 80ies, and a handfull with Golde metal sliding roofs.

Here in Denmark have I found 3 Amazon (2 sedan & one estate) and one PV with cabrio coach, and one 123GT with metal sliding type.
With the introduction of 144 and later 164 the Golde metal sliding roofs became more common.
Golde supplied sunroofs for Volvo all the way upto the 700 series.
JC T ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JC T ONE For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 08:16   #8
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

I think I could help you out with a M41 D-Type overdrive plus prop plus axle if you wanted to go completely the other way Andy. Plus steering vowel.
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 12:55   #9
Derek UK
VOC Member

To expand the story about this car, I took the pic from the BBC website but it was also in yesterdays Daily Mail 4th Jan, here's a bit more info. This is the ex Bob Hollingworth car which he campaigned for many years at the BKV's. It also featured in classic car mags. The Martin Bashir (he was the one who did the infamous Princess Diana TV interview) connection is that he bought the car from Bob at what I believe was a very modest price on the basis that he'd always wanted one and he would cherish it "for ever". That didn't happen and it was sold some time later at what was said to be a handsome profit. Note, the later is hearsay.
Knowing how little damage it takes to write off our cars I hope that it survives. If the owner is on the forum please comment or if anyone has any connection to the car or knows the owner please update us.

Bob Hollingworth https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=270146
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 16:40   #10
BarryS

Sad to see that. Per info in my KYC 556D thread, we once owned this car. In mid 90's if memory serves me correctly. My wife and daughter were very pleasantly surprised to see "Nellie" on the road in Sheffield in September 2017.

We bought KYC from Charlie Garrett and he later sold it on our behalf when we could no longer keep it, having to retionalise to only owning one amazon.

Really hope it receives any necessary repairs and continues to be loved and used.

Barry Slate
BarryS is offline   Reply With Quote