Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Service Price Indicator - Beware!!!

Views : 26697

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 12th, 2018, 16:09   #21
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
Yup, you car is still covered. See here - https://www.volvocars.com/uk/own/mai...ervice-promise
That link is only for UK and NI, doesnt really cover us from ROI.
I am actually wondering myself how long Volvo supports old models. I know my car got software update on 2015 dealership service with prev owner but I would be really surprised if there was any update since then for my 2005 car...

EDIT - regardless of above, its actually funny that you cant choose DOM of your car pre 2008 on that website. Its like you are getting "10+old cars we say thank you" slap into your face from Volvo straight away...

Last edited by LizardOfBodom; Jan 12th, 2018 at 16:12.
LizardOfBodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 16:23   #22
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

I'm sorry, just had to comment on that as got intrigued with my fake service booking and got those recommendations for my "2008" car ;DD

Who on Earth is setting those prices up? Wow....

comparing to my recent expenses:
320mm coated Brembo discs - 70Eur / pair
ATE ceramic pads - 65Eur
installation - 40E

Rear coated Brembo 280mm - 45Eur / pair
Brembo pads read - 28eur
installation - 40E

Battery - 110Eur, installation: myself
Bosch Aero wiper blades - 25Eur / set, installed myself (duh)...

I mean... seriously Volvo.... seriously?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (26.4 KB, 148 views)
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 16:30   #23
phutyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
Yup, you car is still covered. See here - https://www.volvocars.com/uk/own/mai...ervice-promise
That doesn't say that there are still software updates being done for 10 year old cars, only that most cars since 1999 are capable of receiving software updates. Two very different things.

Are Volvo's engineers really still spending time optimising the aircon system in my car? That kind of support just can't go in indefinitely, so there has to be some kind of cutoff for updates. Do Volvo issue release notes for their software updates?
phutyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 16:44   #24
tt82
Forum Support Team

As I said in my initial post, there will be things I do myself - like brakes - which are a lot cheaper. Others I will go to a good independent. But when it comes to servicing, if you put any value on the Software Updates (and lets face it, the modern tech in cars means that are basically computers on wheels that will need continuous updates), the Volvo Breakdown Assistance (I go into Europe once a year and RAC/AA and the like can be funny covering cars over a certain age abroad! I also want to be taken to a main dealer where I know I can always make complaints through VCUK if need be, rather than a dodgy backstreet garage who'll use the language barrier to rip you off) and an experienced mechanic just casting a trained eye over your car (and yes they'll try and get work out of you but your not obliged to have it done), then the Volvo service actually represents good value for money.

Going back to the op's point, I just had my cambelt service done. VSPI said £780 for my car/region. Volvo dealer quoted me £780 with 10% discount (£702) as I am a returning customer who puts 3 cars their way. Volvo ID currently ran a promotion offering a free bottle of screen wash when you bought and had wiper blades fitted so I opted for that. I didn't get the bottle of screenwash, (most likely an oversight) but then I only got charged £700 so I was effectively paid £2 by them for them to supply and fit wiper blades. I aint going to quibble over a 1L bottle of screenwash when I got extra work and paid less.

At the end of the day, if you get quoted high, vote with your feet. 2 other dealers tried quoting me over the VSPI in the past for services, it is only a guideline after all. They have now lost my custom.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 16:58   #25
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by phutyle View Post
That doesn't say that there are still software updates being done for 10 year old cars, only that most cars since 1999 are capable of receiving software updates. Two very different things.

Are Volvo's engineers really still spending time optimising the aircon system in my car? That kind of support just can't go in indefinitely, so there has to be some kind of cutoff for updates. Do Volvo issue release notes for their software updates?
I honestly couldn't answer those questions. What difference in the software there is, I don't know whether the dealer would be able to give you a run down, maybe VCUK could?

I have Adaptive Cruise Control with Collision Warning and Auto Brake, Lane Departure Warning, BLIS and Keyless Entry and Start. I would hope that those 4 are being updated regularly. Especially the latter considering the increased theft of keyless vehicles with relay boxes. So I want the Software downloads on my car. For the breakdown, I go to Europe once a year. Twice I have taken this car to Italy. If I broke down I want it taking straight to a Volvo Dealer as I have hotels/ferries/villas booked which will cost me money If I don't get there on time. Yes I'll pay more for the repairs but I won't lose a good chunk of my holiday hopefully, so again I want decent Breakdown cover.

As I state, if you value those services, the whole package represents good value for money. If you don't, the world is your oyster and you can service however you wish.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 23:43   #26
phutyle

Yeah, but you can’t factor in £100 of “value” for software updates into the dealer service if a) you don’t know if you’re going to get one or not and b) even if you do, you don’t know what you’re getting.
phutyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 12:21   #27
BOBAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendolfc View Post
......I'm sure my belts service at a dealer came in at around £700 and that included the water pump that they said they wouldn't normally do but it felt notchy.
If they said that they wouldn't normally replace the water pump at the same time as they replaced the timing belt then they should be avoided at all cost.

That is the worst piece of advice I have heard since the designer of the Viking helmet was advised to place the horns on the inside........

As for the OP thinking that £250 for an oil and filter change represents good value, well, words fail..............

C30 1,6d DRIVe: 100w Rockford Fosgate amp driving Rockford Audiophile mids & tweeters & 200w Rockford amp driving 12" DiamondAudio sub; Phoenix Gold graphic eq; Audio Control iPod connect; RF Power Cap; SkinZ sound-deadening in doors; Alpine EZi-DAB
BOBAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 13:05   #28
Lincolnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
You pay your money and make your choice. Here's my experience for what it's worth.

I bought new in 2010. The main dealer mislead and outright lied to me throughout the entire process. So much so that I took the service business to another of the group's dealerships for the first three years. Experience there was reasonable but the servicing costs and in particular the third year service was astronomical. It took significant effort on my part to get the original dealer to make some recompense by paying for my first service and for a tank of diesel. No apology from anyone in person.

I moved house a few years back to a new area. I thought I'd give the local main dealer one last chance. They damaged the car, which was left to me to discover. It had to go back to them the damage to be made good and resprayed.

A year or so later I had a fault with the aircon. Out of warranty, I went to Volvo UK, who made a goodwill 50% contribution to the work which had to be done at a main dealer. The fault was subject to a 'fix free if defective' note to dealers, but the window for that had just ended. The dealer did the work, but when pressed was adamant that Volvo UK wouldn't budge further on the discount. I called Volvo again and they immediately agreed to take another £50 off the bill. The Service Manager wouldn't talk to me when I picked the car up.

Since then I've found a reliable local garage (two in fact) who I trust to do work on my car at a reasonable price and to be honest and straightforward in any fault diagnosis. And this has been my experience not only with my Volvo, but with the one other car I owned from new.

Large car sales groups have no incentive at all in my view to do anything other than charge through the nose for all the services they provide. My local main dealer charges over £100 an hour labour, twice that of my local garage.

As the years pass and cars depreciate in value, there comes a point where the maintenance costs become equivalent to the car value. If you can get the work done by someone you trust (ask locally for recommendations), you might find that the work you need can be done at a greatly reduced cost and with the peace of mind that in my experience at least, the small garage is more inclined to help you out at short notice and when things go wrong.
Could you advise the two garages in Lincoln you’d use again please.

Thanks
Lincolnite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolnite For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 10:38   #29
Ignatz

I chose the County city to denote my location, but I live some distance from Lincoln. Depending on where you live this probably puts you at least an hour from my location so might not be of much use.
Ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 14:05   #30
NJC3107

Default On the subject of main dealer servicing

Having experienced issues with the local Volvo main dealership I now use an independent. This came about as at 82,000 miles and less than 10 years old I was advised my C30 D5 required a timing belt and water pump change as part of the service. They also told me the brake fluid required changing, although it had be changed the year before last...
It seems they just try to frighten owners to make unnecessary changes, or am I just being cynical....
NJC3107 is offline   Reply With Quote