Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aux Question

Views : 3582

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 20:02   #11
coupi

So it gives you wired AUX connection which is then injected between the radio aerial and the amp, so it pretends to be a radio station. But as it's all wired there is no interference or white noise etc. I have had it in my V50 for the best part of 2 years now and it's worked great.
coupi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to coupi For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 22:37   #12
phutyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupi View Post
I have had it in my V50 for the best part of 2 years now and it's worked great.
What year is your V50? Is there a danger of running into MOST security issues like the GROM kit?
phutyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 22:41   #13
Sysyphus

MOST would not be a factor since this only taps into the aerial cable, none of the over-engineered fancy electronics gets involved.
Sysyphus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sysyphus For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2018, 21:06   #14
coupi

Mine is a 2006, but it wouldn’t matter what year or sound system spec it has and it can’t interfere with anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to coupi For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 13:02   #15
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by phutyle View Post
If you have factory bluetooth for hands free calling, you won't have the Aux and USB. My 2010 V50 is the same. Something about the option for hands free automatically removing the the Aux/USB - maybe both options use the same connector on the back of the head unit or something.
My 2009 S40 has the factory bluetooth hands free calling as well as the Aux & USB option.

With regards to the AUX the only option if you dont have it in the arm rest is an FM transmitter. If you are willing to pay a lot more, there are after market options ... but incredibly expensive.

Here is an option I think:
https://www.bluepower.se/en/product/...dunit-arm.html

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 12:01   #16
coupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
My 2009 S40 has the factory bluetooth hands free calling as well as the Aux & USB option.

With regards to the AUX the only option if you dont have it in the arm rest is an FM transmitter. If you are willing to pay a lot more, there are after market options ... but incredibly expensive.
A few options, but some are stupidly costly:

Volvo interface, but requires various parts and wiring, plus software update - £750+
Bluepower headunit - £500+
Grom or similar handsfree kits - £200+
Wired FM modulator - £50
Wireless FM transmitter £15
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 21:38   #17
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile Can be done..

The early 2007 era sound system definitely didnt have an aux in which is a pain, but I have been able to modify the radio/cd/amp to allow you to switch in a hardware aux in connection from ipod / phone or whatever player you want to use, took a bit of figuring out .. I added a minature switch and socket on the centre console, it avoids needing to try and swap any of the coded radio etc but isnt a trivial mod .. added bonus if you have your iphone streaming music, and a call comes in you can handsfree with sound thru the car speakers.
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 23:05   #18
phutyle

Thanks to this thread, I got a AVFM-MOD01 FM modulator. Hooked it all up this evening. I’ve run an an extra USB charger off the cig lighter, and have it and the new Aux in mounted in the tray behind the waterfall. I’m using a Tunai Firefly Bluetooth adapter that’s powered off the USB and plugs into the Aux. It’s audio only (doesn’t support calls) which I want because I already have factory hands-free in the car.

I’ve got a Mophie Charge Force vent mounted magnetic charger and compatible case for my phone. All the wiring for it and the music setup is hidden neatly behind the trim panels. I also have a Bluetooth media button mounted on the back of the steering wheel, which I can use to change tracks, play/pause and control the volume of my phone. The built-in steering wheel controls do the audio system volume and taking/hanging up calls.

So now when I get in the car, I just stick my phone to the magnetic vent mount. Start up the engine, and the phone starts charging. It also connects automatically to the Firelfy, and I can play music via Bluetooth>Aux>FM Modulator>Radio, which I can control from the steering wheel. The sound is great and it connects in seconds. I can use Siri for switching between playlists or finding songs. When a call comes in, the music pauses, and the built-in car Bluetooth takes over.

Very happy with my setup now, it does everything I want it to.

Last edited by phutyle; Feb 24th, 2018 at 23:08.
phutyle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phutyle For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 11th, 2018, 20:13   #19
bruce01

Hoping Phutyle is still around, but if anyone else wants to chime in much appreciated. Got a 2010 V50 also, any advice on install? Did you follow the Gregg Rocheford pdf? Or does the kit you got come with full install instructions?

Appreciate any advice, would probably just go with the 3.5 aux in, take a line off 12V for USB charging.
bruce01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 17:00   #20
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

I just come across this and though I may share, plenty of AUX questions here so I choosen most recent one :P

MMMi set for premium audio

It says its "in production" with pre-orders available, but to my knowledge its the first system designed specifically for premium (Dolby P.L.) sound system.
Provides only AUX but fully integrated with MOST and much cheaper than BP/GROM units. And I reckon much better quality sound than wired FM modulator.

thoughts?
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:

Tags
aux, c30, radio