Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Owners Club's 2006 National Rally

Views : 2648

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 19th, 2006, 18:14   #11
JT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_T
I enjoyed the rally, we spent a small fortune on the missus V70!
I should think so dearest - I'm worth every penny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222s
If it's not a Volvo, then fair enough, but as it's the VOC national rally, shouldn't every Volvo there be on display?
Agree whole heartedly. Mine's a V70 Classic 2.0L 10V which covers 70 miles each weekday and another 250 at the weekend, and it's covered with stone chips which is to be expected from the M69 and M1. So IMHO it's a proper working Volvo. Unlike his nibs and his flash S40 I don't have time to tart it up for a show but still think it has value, especially as I have done a little here and there to raise it from its basic spec (alloys, roof rails, spoiler, leather upholstery, leather wood trim - all courtesy of the scrap yard, not to mention a Jetex sports exhaust and air filter makes it go like the wind, well round corners anyway).

I think we should have our own judging group next, year, "Volvos with attitude" complete with duct tape, bungee elastic etc etc. I refuse to take out my Batley Bulldogs RFL mascots, stickers etc for ANYONE. - now where's the photo of THAT Amazon...brilliant statement.

BTW my first BKV although I've been a VOC member since 1999 and enjoyed it very much.

JT1
JT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 18:22   #12
IC
S60R/V70R

Thumbs up

Hi, there's a non-standard section in the BKV where your car would have been very welcome! hope that you enter your car next year. By the way it was judged by one of us - me

VOC Speed Challenge Champion 2007/08/Joint Winner 2009
Motor Sport Challenge Winner 2008/Joint Winner 2009

<font size=2><font color=RoyalBlue>
</font></font>

IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 18:40   #13
Grizlyadams
RWD FTW!!!

Yes thank you mate, judging seemed to be much more organised than before (my car however rubish it is, actualy got judged for once!)

I have to say...maybe an award from the people, as to who they thought was best car in show (maybe it wont be a register keeper, or one of the usual lot for once...) is a great idea, though how you would organise said...i dont know!
Griz
Grizlyadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 21:35   #14
Ray_T
Ray T

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT1
especially as I have done a little here and there to raise it from its basic spec (alloys, roof rails, spoiler, leather upholstery, leather wood trim - all courtesy of the scrap yard, not to mention a Jetex sports exhaust and air filter makes it go like the wind, well round corners anyway).
JT1
Guess who had the hard graft of fitting some of these items?? What does the ad say; "Cos you're worth it!"
Ray_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 00:42   #15
Chris_C
Gopher

I agree with the "If you've got a Volvo, show it" sentiments, I had the very grubby blue 300, shame I didn't remember to print off a crib sheet with mods and what I've done, as I entered that even though it's my second car (which I'm running as a daily whilst sorting out my main 300).

She's recently competed in a few road rallies as well as having a lot of V3M/VOC members helping me in sorting out engine issues. I reckon I owe it to them to show them that I'm proud that my car now runs perfectly, after being neglected for quite a while by both me and it's previous owner, and it's improved a lot since its last non 300 only meet, as anyone who saw it running (or not as the case may be) at the first Volvo United meet will back up!

Whilst the judges didn't seem too impressed, a few people I was speaking to were, and thats all I'm worried about, I got to talk to a lot of people, and some were interested in me and my car. Therefore, it was worth entering!
Chris_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 00:44   #16
STE-MAL
You Can't Beat A Swede

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizlyadams
my car however rubish it is
Not true! It's far from rubbish matie!!!

And Griz, your car would have been judged last year, but it was locked and the guy couldn't get the points form off your dash. I couldn't find you in time and they moved on to my T-5.
Anyway, in any club their is the hardcore who is in it to win it, which is great but we don't have to try and beat them! The name of the event might be the Best Kept Volvo, but in my opinion, it doesn't matter, enter the car no matter what condition it is in. The first year I attended the BKV my car sat in the car park with a hundred other great cars. So whatever model and whatever condition, JOIN UP, AND JOIN IN!
2017 V40 T-3 Inscription Auto
STE-MAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 00:50   #17
MissDMeanor
Corruption rules

I agree that any Volvo should feel comfortable entering the BKV. It isn't just about pristine cars, but the owners and stories about their cars too
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 00:50   #18
STE-MAL
You Can't Beat A Swede

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_C
Whilst the judges didn't seem too impressed, a few people I was speaking to were, and thats all I'm worried about, I got to talk to a lot of people, and some were interested in me and my car. Therefore, it was worth entering!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDMeanor
I agree that any Volvo should feel comfortable entering the BKV. It isn't just about pristine cars, but the owners and stories about their cars too

Very very true, this is what it is all about!!!! Meeting people, having a good chat and a good time.
2017 V40 T-3 Inscription Auto

Last edited by STE-MAL; Jun 20th, 2006 at 00:56.
STE-MAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 05:15   #19
fyggy2002
Volvo Owner

right then, my S40 is a working car, if it gets cleaned then someone found a bit of spare time and it wouldn't have been me.

Can we have a working car at the next BKV please?
fyggy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 06:24   #20
gnhuk
Balding.............

Likewise, mine is primarily transport. It gets cleaned occasionally (usually at the hand wash down in the town - while I wander to Waitrose for some shopping) and sometimes waxed. I do not have the inclination to go any further than that nor do I have the time to do so. I live near countryside and drive through it every day, there is a major road being built nearby and the mud is all over the local roads to add to what the local farmers leave there. The idea of spending hours to satisfy a judge at a show doesn't cut any ice. If there was a class for working cars maybe.......................
2012 S40D3 R-Design
gnhuk is offline   Reply With Quote