Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Starting and Electrical faults

Views : 26808

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 9th, 2007, 12:05   #1
shandy

Exclamation Starting and Electrical faults

Hi,
I purchased my new V50 2.0 d Euro IV SE Sport in oct 2005 finding the car to be excellent. I could not fault the car and even had a Clifford Alarm fitted to further protect my pride and joy within weeks of owning it.
Then I discovered the world of faults that Volvo cannot solve.
In the summer of 2006, I started my car which idled at 500rpm and would not go over 2500 rpm. Dispayed was ENGINE SYSTEM SERVICE REQUIRED. Also ive had IMMOBILISER SERVICE REQUIRED.
Since this ive had an intermittent starting problem from cold. It takes upto 7 attempts to start, each time stalling. Ive visited my local dealer (Pillings, Milton Keynes) several times from where I purchased the car. They dont have an answer, but the car has been connected to the computer and new software installed!!! There have been no fault codes and no one can help. Its just like watching a sketch from Little Britain, "Computer says NO"
The car also failed to start twice, which resulted in a faulty battery.
Ive since had electrical failures with the remote locking and being unable to lock the car. This is also intermittent. Also the electric windows failed to operate with no power. Also displayed was CHILD LOCK SERVICE REQUIRED.
Ive had the fault with the climate control blowing hot and cold air either side of the car which was fixed with new software. GREAT..... its been fine since.
Recently the car went back to the dealer, but again they could not find the faults. They have installed new software, and cleaned the contacts in the A pillar. I was informed by a Tecnician that Volvo's do have problems with electrical contacts.
Now the dealer is blaming the clifford alarm, possibly as they dont understand aftermarket products.
Ive been back to the installer, Dave at DK Car audio and Security in Luton who has been great and supportive. He has contacted Clifford and they have stated that the alarm is totally independant and will not cause any problems. Its been on the car virtually from the begining without a problem for over 6 months. Dave has also fitted to a Ford Focus, that shares the same chassis and electrical sytem. There are no problems there... Clifford have also fitted to V50's in the States with no faults.
I now need help to identify the fault with the car. Could it be the EGR or the injectors or even the ECM? Above all, if Volvo keep developing new software, surely this means they dont get it right.

The more problems I have, the more I regret buying the car. I wish I had purchased a Ford Focus. Its the same car underneath and a lot cheaper with better Tecnical support and service. Also I would not be paying £391 for a first service which is an oil change!
Come on Volvo, get it right, real mechanics with experience surely will find the fault, not a computer!!!!!
All help will be appreciated

Shandy
shandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 21:07   #2
7050man
Master Member

How do you know that the alarm has been installed correctly with out disturbance to other looms and connectors?

If you search through these forums there are only one or two really strange electrical gremlins that people hear have experienced. The conclusion therefore is that these cars are reasonably put together and don't suffer too many problems. Always a first time though I know.

However there are two ways that I would look at this if I was trying to fix it. First I would want to prove that the alarm is not itself the cause of the problem. This assumes that the alarm itself has been tested fully to work in this model and type of car and that the installer has carefully and correctly fitted it.

The only real way of knowing this is to have the alarm removed completely and see what happens. If the car is ok after this, you can logically conclude that the alarm itself was faulty, or that it was interferring (for whatever reason) with the car systems.

What more than likely has happened is that the guy who fitted it has disturbed something, pulled a pin in a plug so that it is not fully seated in the connector, chaffed a wire, maybe exposed a connector that was covered allowing muck to get in.
It may be that the cables are not located in the best place, causing induced voltages (spikes) on main data bus cabling.
If there are electrical spikes or induced noise on looms that should be shielded (Can bus cables) then who knows what the result will be.

You mention Focus. The V50 whilst designed around the Focus chassis, is not the same as the Ford. There are some similarities of course, but also some big doifferences.

By the way, re your service costs, shop around. Dealers all charge slightly different prices and if you supply your own oil you can knock about £60 off bill.
I hope you get the problem sorted soon. Keep us posted as to any developments and maybe someone here can help as more info comes to light. Good luck
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 05:55   #3
gnhuk
Balding.............

I don't trust Pillings in MK and wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy (well maybe I *would* do that ) which is a pity as they are only a mile or so from the office
2012 S40D3 R-Design
gnhuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 11:05   #4
shandy

Unhappy

Thanks for you replies.
As to the alarm, it was installed using full technical support which has been tried and tested. Clifford are willing to prove to volvo that the alarm will not cause any problems as it does not connect to the CAN side. The dealer has years of experience in all areas of auto electrics on cars from all over the world. The car was also checked at a main dealer after the install and the Technician said that there were no faults or interference.
The connecting blocks on the loom are a common fault on the volvo where they have to be cleaned. This info was from a volvo Technician.
Im willing to have it removed, only if Volvo pay for all costs if its not the fault.
Ive now written to Volvo UK with my compaint. Lets see how well they can deal with it at a top level.
As to Pilling, I can't say anymore!!!!!!

Please keep your comments coming. Who knows, its might get resolved....

Last edited by shandy; Jan 10th, 2007 at 11:17. Reason: adding
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 13:36   #5
Marmoset

It sounds like the fuel isn't quite getting through, more than anything else. It doesn't sound as though the dealer has done any real diagnostics, only plugged in the computer - and sensors don't pick up everything.

Hope it gets sorted soon.

I think I've read of similar faults on other cars being traced to faulty/leaking injectors.
Marmoset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 22:20   #6
shandy

Talking

Im thinking along the same line.
Maybe we should be working in the garages, but then this would involve us getting dirty. I dont think that the mechanics, sorry.... technicians know what dirt is! Im surprised they dont wear suits to plug the computer in.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 20:05   #7
shandy

My brother has spoken to a friend who works in a ford garage as the engine is shared with the ford focus. The focus suffers from similar problems which are caused by the EGR valve. This has a habbit of sticking. Fords also suffer with faulty accelerator switches which prevent any response when the pedel is pressed.
Hopefully this will be the same fault on the V50. Just need to convince the dealer.....
Does anyone think alone the same lines?
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 14:18   #8
shandy

Hi all,
Volvo are hard work.
Ive removed the clifford alarm at my expense, but the problem still persists.
Ive now wriiten to Volvo finance under the supply of goods act which has made someone stand up and listern.
The car is due to return to the dealer for these faults to be looked at. I surpose they will just plug in the computer again!
The dealer has been spoken to about what I believe the problems are, but they discount my views...
Oh well, I might get it fixed, but im not holding out.
Maybe the courts are the only way that they will wake up.
I will keep you all posted.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 10:35   #9
shandy

Car has been back to the dealer, but again no fault codes.
They have looked a bit further now (very shocked) and believe it to be a clip on the throttle body. This is on order and im awaiting fitment.
Im not holding much hope though.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 21:47   #10
36016v
SILVER S40 T5 2005

i had a v50 hire car while the t5s in the dealers and the alarm started going off after setting for no reason. Flashed up that alarm need service with dealer, car has done 15000 miles, it happened after a long run of about 110 miles while we stopped at a little chef