Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 fuel consumption and tank size!

Views : 36916

Replies : 103

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 19:44   #1
meirionr

Default V50 fuel consumption and tank size!

Hi folks. New to forum and new to Volvo so go easy on me eh?

I have just bought a V50 2.0Diesel S. 2004 '04 with 46,000 miles.

The issue I have is that when I filled the vehicle up for the first time, I only managed to get 38 litres into the car despite that fact that I was deep into the red on the gauge.

I then drove the car for 318 miles before hitting the same area of the red and still only managed to get 38 litres in (vice the stated 52 for the tank) which equates to circa 38MPG!!!!!

I metioned this to the mechanic in the garage I took it to for another issue and they said that the car does have 'an unusually large reserve' (16 litres large?) and that the MPG was down to my style of driving

Bear in mind that my previous car (a re-mapped to 185BHP Fabia VRS) produced 52MPG for the same run to work and back from its 1.9 Tdi. The Fabia is smaller but only 80kg ish lighter!!

I suspect that there is something amiss but I am not sure where to look first:

MAF sensor?
Boost leak?
ECU?
Injectors?

Any help would be very appreciated!

The other issue I have is that the engine fan is on almost constantly. The mechanis told me that this is because the engine fan is used to compress the coolant for the climate and that again it is my fault for running the aircon. The auto filter option whatsit on the climate seems to come on all the time and show the 'A' light illuminated. Does anyone else have the same issue?

Thanks folks! I just need some ammo to approach the dealer as my warranty expires on Apr 22nd. as they say ' you make the bullets and I'll shoot em!'

Regards
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 20:15   #2
bircham

My wife's V50 also only gets 38/39 mpg average and never changes - no matter how we drive or how long we drive for - it just sticks at 38 mpg. My previous 2004 Audi A6 1.9tdi avant multitronic never varied from 41mpg so the V50 is pretty disappointing. There are many threads about this poor consumption with no apparent 'cure' - they just seem to be poor on mpg.

Jon
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 21:37   #3
Marmoset

Hi

Mine is giving me about 42-44 mpg depending on how fast I'm driving that week. If you have the info centre that tells you how many miles to empty I usually find I can get to 15 miles to go with about 440 miles showing on the trip. The reserve is large but I run mine quite a long time on the red using the computer to tell me the rest. The orange light comes on with about 7-8 litres left I think and I can usually get 45 litres in with no problems. I find it improves a lot after a week of particularly hard thrashing! Perhaps it's not fully run in yet

I don't run my air con an awful lot in winter, just a few minutes in the morning. Leave the recirc on 'A' as it turns itself on if it detects some nasties in the air - it doens't turn on the air con though.

I suppose the engine fan issue depends on the driving - mine is on quite a lot through the city but I suspect it isn't when on the motorway.
Marmoset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 10:58   #4
Pacman

Hi

My 06 2.0D also gives 38mpg...no matter how I drive. Things are slightly worse if I use supermarket diesel, so I always try and fill up using "quality" fuel...I find Shell to be the best.

I too never run with my aircon on in the winter. I have the climate control set to Automatic, but I manually turn the aircon off.

Paul
Pacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 09:05   #5
v50Dom
Happy Volvo Driver

Hi,

I am also a new Volvo owner. My mpg is working out at around 45mpg. That's mostly motorway to and from work and then me horsing it around at the weekend as the acceleration from this 2.0 turbodiesel is still a novelty!

The red 'put fuel in now' light comes on when the computer shows 80 miles to empty. After a further 30 miles, the computer estimate drops rapidly. I fill up then and manage to get around 44 litres in.

Oh and I only use aircon for the morning defrost.

Cheers,
Dom
v50Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 19:42   #6
chris500ie

Default mpg

hi all

glad i bought the 1.6d then, get 47mpg on ave, using the tried & tested full tank to full tank and pen and paper to work it out.
Aircon is on all the time, might turn it off this week and see how things improve if at all

regards

chris
chris500ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 22:29   #7
meirionr

Thanks very much for the replies.

What I don't understand is how the f$~k do they get away with claiming that the combined figure is 48.7pg??!!??!!??

I am very impressed withe car and was actually very keen to get a brand new one but not after seeing the Mpg. The new 2.0i PETROL 3 series coupe cabriolet (i.e. heavy) delivers 43 mpg combined and puts out 170BHP.

There is something very, very wrong with this vehicle if this is the actual mpg!
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 22:59   #8
Philipr4711
philipr4711

Smile

Mines the slow one on the M27 - 44mpg when I bought it with 7k, 3 months later its doing 51.8mpg at 12.5k.
Dealer wants £382 to service it - lol. Never use aircon with a cold engine, use the heated seats. Should have bought an Audi/Saab/Toyota/VW - but it is pretty.
Philipr4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 19:30   #9
brickwizard

MPG figures seem to vary q fair bit betwean diffrent cars, I have had my V50 for 1 week now and Im getting low 30s. Very annoyed with it!
Back to the dealers I think!
Apart from MPG its a great car!
brickwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 04:38   #10
TXJockey

Default Volvo S40 2.0D 2005

Hello on a similar thread I only get 400 miles out of a tank (ie from full to start of reserve). This is based on a combination of motorway and urban driving. When I first noted what I consider poor economy I was told to change my driving style, which I duly did following the discover that the turbo kicks in at 2500 revs. Even after doing this and not running the A/C etc it still only does 400 miles to the tank. As I dont have the Info Centre I cant push it while it's on the reserve (neither do I want to). The car is used from Harratts in Huddersfield with a little over 42k on the clock. Harratts have looked at it and said it's all ok but suggested I run a diesel cleaner which I am doing. Its also been suggested to use branded fuel, and as such I have filled up with BP, rather than Sainsbury's. So I am going to see how it goes, however consider the 2.0D engine is supposed to be so economical I find these figures hard to swallow. Does anyone else have this experience ? I think if it doesnt improve I may look at getting a non turbo version. The annoying thing about it all is that I now cant reject the car under the 30 day thingy because it's now elapsed.
TXJockey is offline   Reply With Quote