Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Service costs

Views : 39626

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 13:38   #11
RossT

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Thats not bad at all ... how much would you consider reasonable , a figure please .. ?

see above
I would reckon that £150 is nearer the mark (a friend just paid £130 at a Seat dealer for his Leon TDI Cupra). I can't believe Volvo dealers pay £13 a litre for oil, however good, so they are making there, similarly on filters.
As per other replies, 1.5 hours sounds an awfully long time to do this work. Even if you accept £100 per hour is a reasonable rate, I reckon consumables at cost plus no more than an hours labour should do it.
RossT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 14:57   #12
tingy
VOC Member

to expand a bit on what i said before my local dealership quoted me £355 for a 3 year service on a V70 D5 i then rang MRG and got a quote of £255(or there abouts i was a bit shocked so forgot to write it down) any way point is id bet the main differance in all the prices being quoted is labour and not all dealerships charge the same amount so its deffinatly worth ringing around a few, then if your so inclined take the cheapist quote back to your local and ask em to match it, see how much they want ur buissnes
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 15:56   #13
Harvey1512
Premier Member

I've just been quoted £295 for a 12,000 mile service on my S40. Ouch. Can I go to another dealer? Not really as there are only 3 Volvo dealers in the NE of England and they are all the same company. No competition at all. I would have to travel over 100 miles to find an alternative

When a service is around 2.5 times the cost of any other service I have had with another make of car I feel pretty ripped off. My own stupid fault for not checking this out earlier but it is not impressive from Volvo either. You live & learn.
Harvey1512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 16:12   #14
tingy
VOC Member

im traveling 100 miles for it so prolly do £20ish in fuel and im still saving £80 is 100 miles really that far anymore, give some other dealers a ring what have u got to loose
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 17:27   #15
John_C
Allons-y!

Don't forget you can take it to any dealer/garage without losing your warranty as long as they follow the volvo service schedule and use good quality parts. The 2.0D is the same engine as in the Focus so why not phone your local Ford dealer and see what they can do. Then go back to Volvo and see if they will price match.
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John_C For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 20:16   #16
Harvey1512
Premier Member

John_C , thanks for the advice. Very sound. I'll give it a whirl.
Harvey1512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 20:47   #17
skb

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
The 2.0D is the same engine as in the Focus so why not phone your local Ford dealer and see what they can do. Then go back to Volvo and see if they will price match.
Nice one never thought of doing that with the car!

850 T5 Owner
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 21:31   #18
GavinC
GavinC

Default Independent garages?

You can use Independent garages instead of alternative dealers (eg Ford), can't you? Without invalidating warranty as long as certain conditions are met including following the Volvo service schedule and using Volvo parts... as suggested by another poster. But the fine print in those conditions needs thoroughly checking out.

'Dealers' are always 'dearer'... and I have never found them to deliver value for money. Shop around.
GavinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 22:36   #19
Bigskip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I suppose we need to know the current costs for say a first 12000 mile service for a few varied makes to compare ,
VW golf , mercedes A class , BMW Mini and X5 , Citroen C4 Picasso and C6 , Honda Civic , Audi A4 . Ford Mondeo
work out the average and go from there ...
First service on an A180 CDI Merc at 19,000 miles - £250 ish - 2 1/2 years ago - if it helps.

Only 111 days til it goes back and i turn Swedish!!

Andy
Bigskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 23:34   #20
pigapumbu
Roary The Racing Car.

Gosh, servicing volvos can be truly expensive. Luckily I found a reasonable dealer at chippenham called MRG. They aren't too bad once they know you. I make the yearly trek from nottingham to them just to service the car. Reason: I won't part with my cash to vultures at these other garages. I rather burn the excess money on petrol to go to MRG than give it to say the dealership at nottingham.

Servicing this car is way too high to begin with. Not surprised you are asking here. I think all volvo dealers should by law inform potential buyers of the serving cost they will incur if they buy the car. Give them a league table comparing other makes to volvo.

cheers