Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Faulty Volvos

Views : 20553

Replies : 132

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 27th, 2009, 14:20   #11
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Got a reply from the dealership this morning offering me the same price again or put it to the local dealer for a full inspection and they'll give me a loan car while they have it in. Nice offer but as most of you are aware I had an accident last year and dont have the full use of my left leg so cant drive a manual which is what all the loan cars are!! Great eh.

Matter now with a London law firm so will see how it goes from there. Figure that if it costs me a grand or two to get my full refund then I'll still be 9000 up on their ridiculous offer so fingers crossed for me everyone??
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 14:31   #12
toolbah
Master Member

Talking

Wish you the very best on this one. We need a law like the "lemon Law" in the states then perhaps these companies may be a little more caring to the customer
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 19:41   #13
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Im beginning to regret even OPENING this can of worms now as it just keeps getting more and more complicated.

I had to look through the service book for warranty data for lawyer and in there is a stamp for the "pre delivery inspection" dated 27/03/2008 which states that the car is due its NEXT service 27/03/2009!!! I've only had the car nearly 5 months now and it looks like its needing a service next month as thats the 12 months up!!! At least now I have a idea why the engines knocking!!! The oils probably knackered for sitting for 7 months!!! Not bad for a car that "just came into stock at a great price" in september according to the salesman!! VCUK are adamant that its not due a service till 26/09/2009 as that was the date of registration!! So does the warranty still stand if the engine blows due to lack of an oil change as the servicing technically hasnt been to manufacturers recomended schedule?? Then to throw a spanner TOTALLY into the works the local dealer has stamped the service book on 03/02/2009 when they carried out a "Qualty Assurance Inspection" Aint THAT just a laugh?? So theyve marked the book as next service due 03/02/2010!!! So in the service date lottery, which date is the lucky winner??

Dont it just make you LOVE Volvos and the dealerships.............

Im off to get VERY drunk and see if I can make sense of it all......................

Last edited by 4wheeldriver; Feb 27th, 2009 at 19:43.
4wheeldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 20:09   #14
toolbah
Master Member

Talking

cheers
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 20:33   #15
catch22
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheeldriver View Post
Im beginning to regret even OPENING this can of worms now as it just keeps getting more and more complicated.

I had to look through the service book for warranty data for lawyer and in there is a stamp for the "pre delivery inspection" dated 27/03/2008 which states that the car is due its NEXT service 27/03/2009!!! I've only had the car nearly 5 months now and it looks like its needing a service next month as thats the 12 months up!!! At least now I have a idea why the engines knocking!!! The oils probably knackered for sitting for 7 months!!! Not bad for a car that "just came into stock at a great price" in september according to the salesman!! VCUK are adamant that its not due a service till 26/09/2009 as that was the date of registration!! So does the warranty still stand if the engine blows due to lack of an oil change as the servicing technically hasnt been to manufacturers recomended schedule?? Then to throw a spanner TOTALLY into the works the local dealer has stamped the service book on 03/02/2009 when they carried out a "Qualty Assurance Inspection" Aint THAT just a laugh?? So theyve marked the book as next service due 03/02/2010!!! So in the service date lottery, which date is the lucky winner??

Dont it just make you LOVE Volvos and the dealerships.............

Im off to get VERY drunk and see if I can make sense of it all......................
The vehicle obviously is "not fit for purpose" and as such you are well within your rights to reject it. Now they can opt to fight the case in court, but as they have not got a leg stand on. Not only will they end up paying you out, but they will most likely end up paying your costs as well as their own. So I reckon they will settle before you get to court.

Anyway whatever happens, best of luck...................I've got my fingers crossed for you as requested.
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 20:35   #16
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Satisfactory quality

or some time now (since our masters in Brussells got at the Sale of Goods Act), the correct term has been "satisfactory quality". That and "fit for purpose" are addressed in S. 14 Sale of Goods Act ("SoGA").

There is a laundry list of things to be taken onto account in S 14 (2) and this sounds like a righteous claim just on that basis. But if goods ahve been "accepted" (see S 35) then they cannot be rejected and only damages obtained.

But Wait! Our masters in Brussels have more for us. Sections 48A to 48F set out (according to the heading) "Additional RIGHTS IN CONSUMER CASES". The big unanswered question is whether they are additional (and only the heading tells us that, and classically headings are not taken into account in interpretation) or limitative. This is important becase although there is a cascade of rights from repair via replacement and reduction in the purchase price, finally ariving at rejection, if the court permits rejection UNDER THESE SECTIONS it may make a reduction for the use had of the item. That does not apply under the "classic" english law, under which, if you can reject (and that may be harder to establish) you get back every penny.

This is a very importnat point, and unlitigated to date AFAIK.
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 02:59   #17
4wheeldriver
Master Member

According to the law they may deduct a SMALL charge for usage of the vehicle which should be no more than a few hundred pounds but not the 11000 that they are trying t take of me in this case. Especially when they have a D5 se in titanium grey with the calcite interior but without the RSE and bluetooth that my one had fitted on an 07 plate for sale at 27000 with higher milage and yet they tell me that "in the current market climate 22000 is the value of you car''. Mine is a 58 plate!!!! Think thats just trying to extract the urine in the case!!

Ooh and by the way theres another 2 faults to add to the list tonight alone. Both new. 1 of the rear dvd screens switched itself on tonight which I have been warned can kill the battery in 20 mins. Thankfully I noticed it and reached in and shut it off before heading for dinner and the 3rd row seating over head lighting had switched itself on when I got back to the car after geting back to the car from said meal tonight. Had to open the boot and physically turn the lights off by pressing the buttons cos they werent going off by locking and unlocking the car or opening and shutting the doors. WTF is THAT about??? There hasnt been anybody in therear of the car since Saturday evening!!

Last edited by 4wheeldriver; Feb 28th, 2009 at 03:08.
4wheeldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 17:52   #18
toolbah
Master Member

Talking

I think you should ring Derek Acorah, he has a sixth sence for that type of thing
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 19:32   #19
4wheeldriver
Master Member

He'd probably have a better idea than any body else. Hoping its big electrical fire coming on!!!!! lolol
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 00:37   #20
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Why on earth would Volvo seek to damage their reputation by pulling a stunt like this? I mean...have they learned nothing from the ETM issue?

I work for a manufacturing company, and problems do occur...people understand that...but if you have a problem, you SORT IT OUT...fast, and efficiently.

Good luck!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote