Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Starting Problem

Views : 62125

Replies : 124

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 19th, 2010, 17:28   #21
Marmoset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I have the definitive answer to this , It is the throttle flap sticking in its housing , this is usualy accompanied with no power at all and some black smoke and knocking for a few seconds until the vibration frees it off .
I'm surprised the dealers are is struggling with this , its a known issue and has a bulletin on it .. Change the plastic throttle housing and see how it goes ...
Where's the throttle housing located - I couldn't easily identify it when having a quick peek. My car's just stuttered 4 times out of 4 starts, on the first attempts, so it may be time to change it, given that it's not a lot of money for the part.

Cheers

Richard
Marmoset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 19:25   #22
Guru
Premier Member

In late 2005 and newer models it's in this Y shaped hose going to the intake manifold. You'll have to take it off by undoing the screws then checking the cog wheels inside + membrane, those gears have a habit of sticking or the teeth snap off of them.

Earlier models {from 05.2004 to 07.2005} have a large single hose only going into the manifold.
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 19:27   #23
Marmoset

thanks guru - mines an early one with a straight look to it - will check it out
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 20:00   #24
Clan
Experienced Member

yes the twin one shown above doesnt give this problem , only the single one which you have . It isnt a question of early or later , the single body goes from introduction to present day .. it is the euro 4 one ... the twin one is much less common and is the euro 5 with eloys additive and particle filter in the exhaust ..
There are no gears inside , it is just a plastic housing and flap with a vacuum servo to shut it ...
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 20:12   #25
Marmoset

Thanks for the quick help guys, gotta drive on holiday tomorrow so I've packed whatever I need to change it, should it get worse. I've cleaned it up and a swift tap with a screwdriver when it's happening was enough to get the revs up to normal.

Is it the EGR system that causes this? Seems to throw and awful lot of oily residue back into the intake system.
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 20:45   #26
Guru
Premier Member

Thanks Clan, however I seem to remember seeing a video of a guy pulling out the Y shaped TB of a 2007 2.0D and showing 3 snapped teeth off a cog wheel inside...

Marmoset> If there's a lot of oil residue inside then both the temp sensor and MAP sensor are bound to be covered in oil too, which may lead them to report inaccurate readings, and this too may be causing your revs fluctuations.

The temp (green) sensor can be inspected visually by pulling it out after undoing one torx screw.
You'll see nothing by pulling out the MAP (black) sensor except a small black hole... after all, it's for measuring vacuum in the system.

Back to your Q about oil residue in the TB> as you may have noticed, there are two entries: one small entry through that aluminum pipe coming from the EGR, the second larger opening is from the turbo via intercooler.

If the residue is only oil, and a lot of it, then I would suspect a failing turbine bearing, and the intercooler is bound to have loads of oil in it too = worst case scenario ... does your car smoke on hard acceleration? do you need to top up oil once in while?

If it's a moist black sandy like substance aka soot, then it's coming from the EGR valve which may be sticking in the open position causing too much exhaust fumes to enter the intake manifold... this also causes rough starts and or misfires, or may cause the car not to start at all.

You have some investigation to do.

Last edited by Guru; Sep 19th, 2010 at 20:52.
Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Guru For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 21:39   #27
Clan
Experienced Member

The D5 has a motorised version of this which indeed can have the cogs stripped off ...

Dirty exhaust gas from the EGR enters upstream of the throttle so doesnt actualy go through the throttle flap . The oily fumes from the crankcase ventilation pass through this throtlle so some residue is bound to build up , this is quite normal ... the throttle only works for a few seconds when you turn the engine off then it opens fully again ready for the next cold start . This is usualy enough to scrape off any residue . It is the distortion of the plastic housing which causes the sticking . To test , if you press the throttle flap shut against it's spring pressure with your thumb and there is any tendancy to stick , replace it ...
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 22:02   #28
Marmoset

Looks like sandy oil - I was panicking then when you started talking about failed turbine bearings!

There's only smoke under hard acceleration but no oil top ups required between services.
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 23:08   #29
cymroboi

hi guys im new to this site ...so pls bare with me !!
i bought a 2006 v50 2.0d i take it,it the euro 4 no dpf on it ...im also having intermitent starting problems.....been back to the main dealer twice now ,a week at a time .but no fault was found ...just a quick Q... if the throttle body is sticking will this throw a fault code up.. i bought it from a local garage not a volvo dealer,and he is now getting a bit peed off with me calling him every other week needing to solve the problem.
i bought the car because i thought i was buying a good family car due to having a 4 month old baby, the wife now refuses to take the car anywere even when i offer to pay for here shopping trip (must be bad)........well was i wrong ...nothing but trouble ...any help would be gratefull

another thing im a hgv mechanic by trade so i can do the work my self but why should i ,that what warranty is for !!!!
cymroboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 23:17   #30
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymroboi View Post
hi guys im new to this site ...so pls bare with me !!
i bought a 2006 v50 2.0d i take it,it the euro 4 no dpf on it ...im also having intermitent starting problems.....been back to the main dealer twice now ,a week at a time .but no fault was found ...just a quick Q... if the throttle body is sticking will this throw a fault code up.. i bought it from a local garage not a volvo dealer,and he is now getting a bit peed off with me calling him every other week needing to solve the problem.
i bought the car because i thought i was buying a good family car due to having a 4 month old baby, the wife now refuses to take the car anywere even when i offer to pay for here shopping trip (must be bad)........well was i wrong ...nothing but trouble ...any help would be gratefull

another thing im a hgv mechanic by trade so i can do the work my self but why should i ,that what warranty is for !!!!
There wont be any fault codes , the garage will have to use their experience on that one :-) Its been happening for the last 4 or 5 years now ... go for the throttle .....