Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Topping up Adblue and that white funnel

Views : 2143

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 1st, 2020, 09:54   #11
Rammer 46

Default adblue

Hi All anyone who has used adblue have they noticed any benefit from using this product Plus can it be used on a 2010 xc 70 D5

regards
Rammer 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 10:03   #12
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammer 46 View Post
Hi All anyone who has used adblue have they noticed any benefit from using this product Plus can it be used on a 2010 xc 70 D5

regards
You might benefit from Googleing ‘adblue’ or ‘diesel exhaust fluid’ to find out what it involves and what it does and how it is applied and so on. It seems as if you believe it can just be tipped into the fuel tank or something?
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 10:12   #13
Chief inspector
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbarrier View Post
I've just watched a Laser video of their product and it seems that it does shut off the flow when the level reaches the end of the pipe. They may have another customer here.
It does yes, there is an air pipe in the middle to control flow.

It looks a bit home made, but it works fine, just keep it clean.

The RR tells you how much to add, usually 10 or 15 litres, so thats all I add, I dont brim the tank.

They offer a free refill at the dealers if you have a service plan, but by the time you factor in the fuel to get there and back, plus the sitting about, its not really worth it unless its in for something else (which it often is)
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 11:39   #14
volvocamper
Master Member

Topped up my Adblue tank for the first time only recently (following the low Adblue warning light on dash).
I initially visited local Shell fuel station as they have an Adblue pump. The attendant said I could try but probably wouldnt work. The filler pipe went in to the filler neck (beside fuel filler) ok but as soon as I pulled the release lever on the nozzle it shut itself off immediately.
I went back into the garage and purchased a 10 litre container of Adblue which came with a flexible adaptor which replaces the screw-on cap and then simply poured the Adblue into the tank - without spilling a drop I might add!
I could ‘hear’ when the tank was getting towards full and checked it was indeed full on the car Adblue level indicator.
It was an easier experience than I had envisaged. I didnt quite use all the 10 litres but when I buy the next 10 litre container I will decant about half into the first container (away from the car) as 10 litres weighs about 10kg so reasonably heavy.
I am told Adblue has a shelf life so I will wait until tank needs refilling before buying the 2nd container.
volvocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 12:40   #15
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvocamper View Post
Topped up my Adblue tank for the first time only recently (following the low Adblue warning light on dash).
I initially visited local Shell fuel station as they have an Adblue pump. The attendant said I could try but probably wouldnt work. The filler pipe went in to the filler neck (beside fuel filler) ok but as soon as I pulled the release lever on the nozzle it shut itself off immediately.
I went back into the garage and purchased a 10 litre container of Adblue which came with a flexible adaptor which replaces the screw-on cap and then simply poured the Adblue into the tank - without spilling a drop I might add!
I could ‘hear’ when the tank was getting towards full and checked it was indeed full on the car Adblue level indicator.
It was an easier experience than I had envisaged. I didnt quite use all the 10 litres but when I buy the next 10 litre container I will decant about half into the first container (away from the car) as **10 litres weighs about 10kg so reasonably heavy.
I am told Adblue has a shelf life so I will wait until tank needs refilling before buying the 2nd container.
You really needn't worry about shelf life as long as you keep it out of direct sunlight and protect from heavy frost. Two years is no problem.
Try a motor factor or truck or tractor dealer, or your local oil supplier for price for a 25 litre drum. You might be pleasantly surprised.

The bigger the container you buy, and the more 'trade' the seller, the cheaper it gets per litre. Unless you have several vehicles I would not buy it in bigger than 25 litre drums though. Having said that, many small fleets that run trucks or tractors or construction plant do buy in 205 or 1000 litre packs these days. Sometimes bigger tanks refilled by road tanker, much like central heating oil.

** 10 litres of adblue actually weighs 11kgs. This compares with DERV [road diesel] at 8.32kgs per litre or 8.3kgs per 10 litres.
So there is a massive difference in the density of the two fluids which would be obvious indeed if you tried to lift 20litre drums of each @ 22kgs for adblue and only 16.6kgs for diesel, both plus the weight of the container which should be the same.

Last edited by Quacker; Jan 1st, 2020 at 12:50.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quacker For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 15:04   #16
DriverDen

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbarrier View Post
I've just watched a Laser video of their product and it seems that it does shut off the flow when the level reaches the end of the pipe. They may have another customer here.
Can you clarify what you mean by "their product"
Previous - XC60 D5, 2 x V70, Santa Fe, Mondeo, Primera, Metro
DriverDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 15:59   #17
skippyfox
VOC Member

Quote:

regards
Adblue can't be used unless the car is equipped for Adblue. Adding into the diesel tank will lead to an expensive day at the workshops. Regarding benefits it's for environmental reasons to cut emissions and does diddle squat to performance.
skippyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 18:01   #18
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:

regards
Don't even think about adding it to your tank, it would be the same as a classroom full of kids all p***ing in the fuel tank with the same effect on the engine/fuel system.
Ad-blue is Urea and is injected into an SCR (selective catalytic converter) in the exhaust system to reduce emissions, cars that use it have a separate tank for it and all the the kit required to inject it as well as the catalytic converter.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 19:16   #19
warwick

Its a pity in the UK fuel stations don`t have Ad Blue pumps along with the standard fueling positions for cars which they have in France at least I haven't seen any. Filling by pump just as you do your fuel tank is very easy compared to trying to hold a container.
warwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 22:10   #20
driver99

Quote:
Originally Posted by warwick View Post
Its a pity in the UK fuel stations don`t have Ad Blue pumps along with the standard fueling positions for cars which they have in France at least I haven't seen any. Filling by pump just as you do your fuel tank is very easy compared to trying to hold a container.
I’ve seen them. Texaco have them. 99p per litre.