Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Optimax" anyone..????

Views : 2514

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 17:54   #1
Dave M

Well.... any one dared try this at home??

Just curious to see if any one has fired a tnakful in the Ol' girl with good or bad results, especially in the old B280 V6 engines:-)

Just some of the mates have tried it and raved all about it:-)

Curious......

Regards
Dave M
Old Sep 17th, 2002, 18:01   #2
GorgeousGeorge
Bostin !!!

Default RE: "Optimax" anyone..????

yep, use this all the time in the 2.0T, it was pointed out on this site before that optimax is 98RON or above whereas the BP Super is only 97RON

scott
GorgeousGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2002, 17:54   #3
Mike Clift

My nearest Shell garage is a 32 mile round trip so don't get to fill up with it too often. However when I have the car definitely runs better.

Mind you, as I never go above 30 mph anyway it probably doesn'y make much difference!

Mike
V40 T4 SE Auto
Old Sep 18th, 2002, 19:54   #4
Dave M

Say .....Your T4, It's not white per chance with a fluorescent Yellow jacket on the rear parcel shelf is it??? Blue lights optional extras??? :-)

Just curious...

Regards
Dave M
Old Sep 18th, 2002, 20:30   #5
Mike Clift

How did you know that?
Old Sep 18th, 2002, 23:18   #6
Matt360

Hi All,

tried it in my 2.0 360 carb man

erm what was supposed to happen where was this sudden burst of speed when i put my foot down..

thinking about it how does the petrol know when ive put my foot down so that it releases that extra burst of speed

more bangs per buck NO

more hype per ad probably

seem to remember about the extra agent added by esso or maybe

shell in the 80,s the unique engine cleaning additive...

how much did they add to a tankerfull???

and how much was needed to clean the engine??

call me a cynic but

shell optimax was a non starter

matt
Old Sep 19th, 2002, 14:35   #7
Dan F
Premier Member

Default RE:

Hi.

Optimax will just minimise the chance of pinking, which in modern engines allows the ECU to advance the ignition to its maximum setting.
I don't think your 360 will have a knock sensor, and certainly no engine management, so the ignition although it is electronic, will not be able to compensate. The GLT with electronic ignition may be a different ballgame however.....
You need to get your ignition advanced a bit to take advantage of it I think.

With my T4, 98+RON is a must, as resistance to knock is paramount.
Also with a full engine managment system, the computer can compensate automatically and release more power which is commensurate with advanced, and hence more efficient, ignition timing.

Cheers,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2002, 03:11   #8
brainsaw

Tried it in many vehicles from me t5 to me 600cc single bike... and I always notice on the 1st tank but the effect seems to wear off... so I will put normal in for a while and not notice it being any worse...

Probly due to the cleaning effect!
Old Sep 20th, 2002, 12:27   #9
Dan F
Premier Member

Default RE:

Hi.

Of course you won't notice anything after the first tank as the effect won't change from after the first one as you are putting the same thing in.
;-)

I have found the 98 ron to be the best insurance I can have against engine damage, especially on a HPT car such as mine.

Cheers,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2002, 17:26   #10
pettaw
Forum Support Team

Default RE:

No point putting it into any car that doesn't have a 'floating' ign and fuel timing system, so it won't help much at all in a 360, although it might make it run a little bit smoother, it won't increase the power, because the engine won't be able to adjust to take advantage of it.

pettaw is offline   Reply With Quote