Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"44" on screen-s60 2.0T

Views : 886

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 1st, 2011, 23:35   #1
excalibur1

Default "44" on screen-s60 2.0T

Hi everybody, my s60 2.0T, 2001 reg with 132000 miles on the clock is displaying "44" on the message screen and an on/off engine system service required warning or just a service light on the right side screen, is it the "44" the fault code? and how could i get rid of this warnings?My car runs like a dream apart from unstable idle from cold start which will disappear after a couple of minutes.
Please could anybody advice me.Thank you.
excalibur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 01:04   #2
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

Its Funny that this has popped up now I was talking to Bri (MY Volvo indie Man) only last week about a "44" showing up on the dash ....

(I'm assuming here the "44" is showing on the Speedo NOT the DIM)

After MANY phone calls to Sweden Bri "Thinks" he's tracked down the Answer

its a "Glitch" in the Computer software ..... for each ECU/Computer fitted to Each car the ECU has to know WHERE its being used i.e. for WHICH "Market" (USA UK France, Belgium Switzerland ect ect)

Because its Impossible to tell the Computer "Hey your fitted to a UK spec Car" each Computer/ECU is programmed with EACH countries "International Dialing Code" (because its purely Numerical) ........ 44 being the UK ect ect...

Its Buried DEEP in the programming but some randomly "pop up" on the dash (especially the early S60 ones)

to get rid of it (Coz its of NO USE to you) ...................

Try this process it should reset the system.

- Turn the ignition key to position I
- Ensure that the trip display is on T1 and shows some miles (not zero ).
- Press and hold the T1 reset button and wait for the odometer to set to zero
- Turn the ignition key to position II, and watch the odometer
- When the previously displayed miles reappears, quickly release the reset button and then turn the key to the off position.

Keith
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 11:21   #3
kebab10
Premier Member

Yet another weird thing about Volvos. When will they start talking to us?
kebab10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 11:35   #4
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebab10 View Post
Yet another weird thing about Volvos. When will they start talking to us?
TBH I often wondered HOW they knew which Car was for Which Market ect ect ... (obviously LHD/RHD is Simple) but the difference between a Canada Spec & a US spec ect is harder to tell ... using the "Dialing codes" is a Bloody Good idea

Keith
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 14:38   #5
kebab10
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
TBH I often wondered HOW they knew which Car was for Which Market ect ect ... (obviously LHD/RHD is Simple) but the difference between a Canada Spec & a US spec ect is harder to tell ... using the "Dialing codes" is a Bloody Good idea

Keith
Which begs the question, how long have the dialling codes to identify countries been around? Simple idea but it obviously works.
kebab10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 20:25   #6
excalibur1

Hi Keith, the "44" displays on the left hand side small screen where you can read the "engine System Required Service"...but before that the screen will display "you have 1 message(s) then changes to "44"...it confuses me now coz my car is still running beautifully.It is my first s60 and i really enjoyed it.

It has been serviced 3 months ago, new wishbones, links, top strut mounts and top and lower engine mountings.It's just these messages kept on showing up that annoys me, will disappear for a day then shows up again especially during early starts up.I will reset it again and look if what will be the result.
Thank you very much.
excalibur1 is offline   Reply With Quote