Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

headlights

Views : 2751

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 22nd, 2014, 19:26   #11
Rover95

There is one for sale on ebay usa. Needs knob but sure you could use the one from your original switch.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-D...item1c3f529f3f
Rover95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2014, 20:46   #12
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

hi ya

if you get stuck i have a spare light switch ...
kind regards
robert

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 02:52   #13
volvogv
Master Member

Congratulations on finding the corroded wire. These electrical problems can seem intimidating but with patience and a sharp eye, they can be flushed out.
I'm glad I could help. The guys here on the forum have been great when I needed help so it's good to give back.

Mike
volvogv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvogv For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 10:23   #14
jpws

Evening driving test all OK. All lights working currently, and I can even carefully adjust the instrument brightness while keeping the headlights on.

However I think I only got one light bulb working to light up the instrument panel now (assuming there are two, only right side brightly lit up). Are these bulb(s?) and wiring readily accessible from behind, or is it a major job of taking the speedometer out and apart? Or is there only one bulb to light up the panel? Anyone know?

I saw a switch on ebay UK today. Tempted, just to have a backup....

Thanks a lot Mike for all your help.
jpws is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jpws For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2014, 09:11   #15
Audrey Old
VOC Member

jpws - Sussex Volvo Spares are currently working on an autonatic Amazon for a customer, their brief includes electrics..... Not connected with them, except we live in the road behind them and they have done lots of work on our Volvo's including a new clutch in my 164 and an exhaust to my 240. However, they get bits in for the older Volvo's, they don't hold spares for them.

Incidentally, was your car the red LHD one when I was booking my 164 in to CJs at Worthing for some body work the other day?

Paul
Audrey Old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2014, 21:16   #16
jpws

Paul - thanks, good to know there are Volvo experts nearby for future electrical and other works. Touch wood...

The red one was in the week before mine at CJs. Mine's green RHD. Will try to come to the meet at Bentley Manor later in the year.
Old Apr 24th, 2014, 23:11   #17
Volvorama
Too many cats

Default .. another one...

Have come across these problems many times. Foot switches are a pain and one trick is to modify using a 140 series type headlamp relay so you can do the dip/main thing using the headlamp flasher on the column.
Also had several dashboard headlamp switches develop high resistance joints and overheating/failure. Problem is made worse if car is running halogen headlamps due to larger current draw. This can be solved by fitting a simple additional relay (preferably in the engine compartment) which is triggered by the headlamp switch. As a result there are no longer any high currents through the headlamp switch.
You can solve most horn problems the same way too.
I do these mods using as much of the original wiring as possible, eg use the old headlamp wires in the passenger compartment to feed the relays. Everything seems to work much better and as I recall I only had to cut one original wire.
Old May 14th, 2017, 16:20   #18
jpws

The light switch saga Part 2

My main beam and high beam failed again the other day. So this weekend I took the switch out and saw that the plastic sleeve around the female connector at terminal 56 on the main light switch was melted and once I took the switch out saw that it is pretty black around the connector (see pictures). The contact was heavily corroded (in the pictures I scraped the corrosion off and also removed the copper paste from the contacts).

After the previous issues, luckily I had already sourced a replacement switch on ebay. I've fitted this and lights are working again. I've not added any copper paste this time.

Anyone got any suggestions how the sleeve could have melted and may this likely occur again? Was it likely an issue with the switch or possible issues with the cabling further "upstream"?

I'm no electrics expert, so any guidance and advice as ever much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2649.JPG (71.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2648.JPG (65.3 KB, 15 views)
Old May 14th, 2017, 19:08   #19
Volvo_133
VOC member

Hi,
Your switch shown does not have burning marks at the output side of the switch. If you had too much current flowing through the circuit, i would expect to see the output terminal burnt also.
I would suggest the push on spade connector has been a loose fitting onto the switch terminal which causes arcing and burning. Ensure the cable/crimp/switch terminal are secure. Do this asap or your replacement switch will also suffer the same damage.
Volvo_133 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Volvo_133 For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2017, 20:16   #20
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

And the rivets that hold the connector may get loose. The cooper get soft by heat and they loose the force. I always modify the electric system with a relay to the lights, and a change relay for high beam. You will have more bright lights at your amazon with this uprate.
I recommended this for 15, switched power for key in ignition, too. You can hide the relays if you want the original look. I give a fart to this.

regards, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote