Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Changing wiper blades

Views : 626

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2019, 10:05   #1
Barnacle58

Default Changing wiper blades

I don't think I've ever managed to change a wiper blade on any car that I've ever owned without cutting myself, ruining the new blade and ending up going to Halfords and paying for them to fit new ones leaving me with one good blade and losing any saving I made by buying the blades over the internet.. But there is a first time for everything. And so to page 205 of the handbook.

1. Fold out the wiper arm and grasp the wiper blade. What does "fold out the wiper arm " mean? Does it mean put the arm off the windscreen so that the blade is facing the sky instead of the windscreen? What does "grasp the wiper blade" mean? Where do you grasp it and how hard-are you trying to throttle a snake or handling your Aunt's best china?
2. Press in the ribbed spring catch on the wiper blade while lifting it off at the arm extension. Does "press in " mean press it towards the wiper blade or squeeze both sides? And what is the "arm extension". How exactly do you lift it off? Does it just become loose ?

Thanks
Barnacle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 10:18   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Fold out means to move the wiper arm out away from the windscreen, so that you can access the wiper blades.

Then unclip the blades. View the clip to see how it works.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 10:23   #3
nu11eaf
Premier Member

I think you might be better leaving it to Halfords, its a really complicated procedure involving lifting the arm away from the screen, pressing a button in and lifting wiper blade off the wiper arm. And then you have to fit the new one which involves pushing the wiper blade back on the arm until it clicks into place and then placing the arm back onto the screen. Yes best leave it to the professionals who have trained technicians.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Jan 19th, 2019 at 10:28.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 10:43   #4
Barnacle58

SwissXC90 -did you mean to post a video clip? I have found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Uc-0hVLSM but it is too fast and not close up enough.
Nu11eaf. OK I'm not good with cars but I'm trying and was I was explaining my difficulty. I find it disappointing that you have to take such a tone.
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 12:14   #5
nu11eaf
Premier Member

It was a tongue in cheek reply not meant to be taken seriously or cause offence. Sorry if you took it any other way. My video is of my 2017 spa model XC90 which is a bit different to yours, thats why I did not post it.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 12:25   #6
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnacle58 View Post
I find it disappointing that you have to take such a tone.
Tone??
What tone??

You asked questions and I tried to answer them in a clear, concise and helpful manner.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 12:42   #7
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Tone??
What tone??

You asked questions and I tried to answer them in a clear, concise and helpful manner.
The Tone remark was aimed at Nu11eaf not you.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 12:53   #8
Barnacle58

Right moving on, tried to squeeze the clips on both sides and nothing happened. Got a neighbour to have a go and he got nowhere either. As it so cold, I'm reluctant to get the pliers out as I'll probably break the things and end needing a new arm.

Swiss -as SC60 said, not aimed at you and Nuleaf, sorry for taking wrong way.

I find my incompetence at simple car jobs quite staggering when I can do other things round the house without any difficulty.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnacle58 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 14:16   #9
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

https://www.ezwipers.com/wipers/Volvo/XC90/2010/change

Is this any help?

There are instructions for different years in case the method changed along the way

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 15:41   #10
Barnacle58

From that "Note: if you have OEM blades on your car, they will release in reverse -- push down on the rear of the blade so the wings disengage."
Will try tomorrow -this could be why I'm failing