Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General > x40 S1 Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 mk1 n/s passenger side headlight wanted

Views : 747

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 21st, 2018, 21:49   #1
bigbropo

Default V40 mk1 n/s passenger side headlight wanted

My headlight adjustment is broken so I need a headlight, I've thought about trying the adjustment repair kit on ebay but not sure about condensation problems after resealing, any advice would be appreciated, cheers
bigbropo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 22:38   #2
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbropo View Post
My headlight adjustment is broken so I need a headlight, I've thought about trying the adjustment repair kit on ebay but not sure about condensation problems after resealing, any advice would be appreciated, cheers
What year is your car? If you can repair the headlight with the repair kit, then go for it. The last of your problems will be the resealing. I have removed the glass on the headlights upteen times and its not a problem at all, even when the rubber seal has come unglued partially from the glass. The clips that secure the glass to the headlight casing put enough pressure to compress the rubber seal and give near perfect seal

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 23:52   #3
bigbropo

Hi, thanks for the advice, do you use a new seal? it's a 97 model with the single headlight
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 10:29   #4
gatos
Premier Member

No, I reuse the old seal and never had a problem. Only once, was the rubber a bit dry and damaged, in which case I replaced it. The seal sticks on the glass itself and should remain there normally. If it has become undone, use a bit of adhesive spray on the rubber to stick it back on the glass. But even if you don't do so and just put everything back together, the pressure from the clips will give a good seal. If you manage to find a Phase 1 spare headlight, most probably the adjuster will be on its way out anyway, you would be better off getting the repair kit and following DWM's excellent guide here: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=104675

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 22:38   #5
bigbropo

Sounds good, thanks for the advice, I'll let you know how it goes!
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 18:12   #6
bigbropo

Just had a read, a very extensive tutorial, I was also looking at a generic ebay repair kit which wouldn't have been up to the job.
Thanks again