Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

740 Front brake pads

Views : 620

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2019, 20:23   #1
panda529e699

Default 740 Front brake pads

Hello,

I had noticed that one front wheel was always coated in brake dust a lot more than the other, so I ordered new brake pads and a new tub of copper grease, after changing the pads the front calipers needed bleeding, just a thought if any one has this before, at least both front wheels rotate freely now anyway.
I used the YouTube video that was previously posted, and luckily they were the same calipers as mine and very helpful.

Andrew
panda529e699 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to panda529e699 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 22:19   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

A good job well done!

Also worth checking your guide pins to make sure they're not sticking and are well lubed - two schools of though, after the intial cleaning with a wire brush in a drill or similar, either use copper grease or silicone grease/red rubber grease.

One school of thought says copper grease can make the rubber bellows on the guide pins go soft and manky, the other says it doesn't. I've never had a problem with copper grease doing that so i wouldn't mind which i used out of the three.

Also worth noting that if you have ABS, you should open the bleed nipple about 1/4-1/2 turn while pushing the piston back to prevent dirt being forced backwards up the brake lines to the ABS modulator and/or the master cylinder then bleed afterwards.

It's good practice to do it whether you have ABS or not but almost essential with ABS - either way it make pushing the piston back into the caliper much easier!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 22:33   #3
panda529e699

Default 740 Front Brake Pads

It was surprising just how much resistance was on the wheel in question. Also how much the pads had worn down compared to the other side. Hopefully will see a bit of a drop in fuel consumption now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to panda529e699 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 22:46   #4
Ian21401
Premier Member

I use copper grease on all the metal to metal contacts, edges of the pads, shims and the inside of the pistons but silicone grease on anything rubbery like the guide pin dust covers.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 23:02   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda529e699 View Post
It was surprising just how much resistance was on the wheel in question. Also how much the pads had worn down compared to the other side. Hopefully will see a bit of a drop in fuel consumption now.
If you consider that across the two front wheels, they have to do the job of stopping most of the momentum of 1500kg traveling at any given speed, with the rear brakes just there for stability really, there will be a lot of resistance on the front brakes even if they're only slightly on.

It will of course wear the pads pretty quickly as well.

I'm surprised you didn't feel the steering pulling to whichever side was stuck?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 23:38   #6
kelvinp

Quote:
Hello,

I had noticed that one front wheel was always coated in brake dust a lot more than the other, so I ordered new brake pads and a new tub of copper grease, after changing the pads the front calipers needed bleeding, just a thought if any one has this before, at least both front wheels rotate freely now anyway.
I used the YouTube video that was previously posted, and luckily they were the same calipers as mine and very helpful.

Andrew
Also worth checking whether the pistons themselves are sticking. I found one of them was on my 740, the dust seal had been damaged in the past at some point and despite a number of attempts to clean it up and lubricate it, the calliper was still dragging and causing the brake to run hot. There was obviously dirt or debris that was stopping the piston fully releasing.

In the end I had to fit a new calliper.
kelvinp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kelvinp For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 23:54   #7
panda529e699

Default 740 Front Brake Pads

I know what you mean, it is strange, even before changing the pads, I tested under harsh braking, it pulled slightly to one side, but I certainly didnt have to grab the steering wheel. Even whilst towing a caravan it performed as usual. Going on a 800 mile run in the next few days, so will see how it performs, will take a note of the MPG figures as well for the post about that, see if I can beat the 38 MPG think it was.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to panda529e699 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 00:38   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I know what you mean, it is strange, even before changing the pads, I tested under harsh braking, it pulled slightly to one side, but I certainly didnt have to grab the steering wheel. Even whilst towing a caravan it performed as usual. Going on a 800 mile run in the next few days, so will see how it performs, will take a note of the MPG figures as well for the post about that, see if I can beat the 38 MPG think it was.
If the pads are dragging the disc because they are for example sticking in the caliper but can be forced onto the disc by the piston, let's say when they're dragging they give 10% of the available braking force but when the brakes are applied, they give 100% of the braking force. The other caliper that is free to move goes from 0 to 100% of the available braking force.

As such, under harsh braking, the constant drag is overcome by the full force of the brakes on both calipers so unlikely to pull under braking - just while driving.

Quite often with new pads, there is a burr on the edges of the back-plate - this needs taking off with a file before fitting and also it's good practice to wire brush the mating surfaces of the inside of the calipers where the pads sit to remove any corrosion.

Highly possible whoever fitted the previous pads did niether of these two simple tasks which can lead to the pads sticking in the calipers.

Another useful little task is to wedge a file in the caliper so the file is resting on the edge of the disc, where the lip builds up from where the disc is worn. Put some pressure on the handle of the file and then using a screwdriver, spanner or similar long, flat tool between the wheel studs, turn the hub/disc so the file rubs off the lip on the dege where the pads don't contact.
Don't forget to do the inboard edge of the disc as well.

A few "silly" jobs there, on their own, each job doesn't contribute much to a "nice" braking system but together, they make a big difference, improving long term reliability as well.

Old Feb 17th, 2019, 11:24   #9
Ian21401
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post

Quite often with new pads, there is a burr on the edges of the back-plate - this needs taking off with a file before fitting and also it's good practice to wire brush the mating surfaces of the inside of the calipers where the pads sit to remove any corrosion.

Highly possible whoever fitted the previous pads did niether of these two simple tasks which can lead to the pads sticking in the calipers.

Another useful little task is to wedge a file in the caliper so the file is resting on the edge of the disc, where the lip builds up from where the disc is worn. Put some pressure on the handle of the file and then using a screwdriver, spanner or similar long, flat tool between the wheel studs, turn the hub/disc so the file rubs off the lip on the dege where the pads don't contact.
Don't forget to do the inboard edge of the disc as well.

A few "silly" jobs there, on their own, each job doesn't contribute much to a "nice" braking system but together, they make a big difference, improving long term reliability as well.
Concur to all of the above. Silly little extras but they all add up. I try to clean/service the brakes once a year. If they are done regularly they don’t take long and there aren’t any surprises.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 13:18   #10
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default 940 tdi auto 1995

hi all
one of my dust seals on the front wheel is slowly coming out of the caliper over the years . all original parts i clean all the bits i can yearly remove guide pins and clean and regrease but ive never had the callipers of the car ive done discs on front twice now in 19 years but the clapper dust seals look a bit daunting as it woud mean new hoses too . i have been thinking of getting new/reconditioned callipers from some where like BIG RED or BRAKE PARTS UK
all comments welcome
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpliddy For This Useful Post: