Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Unusual headlight issue

Views : 1870

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 30th, 2017, 18:58   #11
RowersS40

Default Photos

If there's anything specific you needed let me know!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170830_183947.jpg (347.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20170830_183950.jpg (252.4 KB, 14 views)
RowersS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2017, 11:52   #12
loely

Do you have the "old" H4 headlights or the newer H7 double headlights ? My guess is the older type.
loely
loely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2017, 12:33   #13
loely

Rowers40,
If you have the H4 lamps at the top is the negetive, by you measurements left side (0v to the +) is high (or low beam) and at the right (+3,5v to +) there is the voltage to low making the lamp go dim ( 12v - 3.5v.= 8.5v to light up the bulb)You have troubles on the + side Batt,relay ,wire connectors fuse or a kind of this.
If you try positive wire connected at the batt and removig the fuse for the headlamps and touch the right side of your bulb it should shine bright as befor.If this is the case check the relay and fuses , in a short word everything from bat till lamp.There is a bad connection somewhere.Most likly relay problem (as they wrote befor).
Good hunting
Loely

Last edited by loely; Aug 31st, 2017 at 12:38.
Old Aug 31st, 2017, 14:02   #14
RowersS40

Quote:
Originally Posted by loely View Post
Rowers40,
If you have the H4 lamps at the top is the negetive, by you measurements left side (0v to the +) is high (or low beam) and at the right (+3,5v to +) there is the voltage to low making the lamp go dim ( 12v - 3.5v.= 8.5v to light up the bulb)You have troubles on the + side Batt,relay ,wire connectors fuse or a kind of this.
If you try positive wire connected at the batt and removig the fuse for the headlamps and touch the right side of your bulb it should shine bright as befor.If this is the case check the relay and fuses , in a short word everything from bat till lamp.There is a bad connection somewhere.Most likly relay problem (as they wrote befor).
Good hunting
Loely
Thanks loely. Yes I do have the H4 lamps.

I'll try your idea when I can, might not be until next weekend, and also hunt for where the fault is.

I've just been sat for 45 minutes with the solar panel on as it wouldn't start in a car park - it couldn't give the final push to start the car, so I fear it's a symptom of a wider issue.
Old Sep 1st, 2017, 09:05   #15
loely

When you lose power while driving you should look at the voltage you have on the batt (while driving) try at the cigaret lighter. While driving it should go up to around14 v or up .If not you have alternator problems or the connection to the + batt.You can not charge when the alternator does not "sens" the batt.
If it happens while the engine is not running ,the alternator can lose power true the regulator build in (you can not see it).
Old Sep 1st, 2017, 09:10   #16
RowersS40

Quote:
When you lose power while driving you should look at the voltage you have on the batt (while driving) try at the cigaret lighter. While driving it should go up to around14 v or up .If not you have alternator problems or the connection to the + batt.You can not charge when the alternator does not "sens" the batt.
If it happens while the engine is not running ,the alternator can lose power true the regulator build in (you can not see it).
Thanks, I'll give that a go next week during my commute - worth trying to work out if it is the alternator or the mysterious oil leak that causes the power loss.
Old Sep 1st, 2017, 18:46   #17
V40T4R

Quote:
Or maybe the negative cable from battery to gearbox, see under battery tray.
Old Sep 9th, 2017, 17:17   #18
RowersS40

Default Some findings

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I had some investigations done today by the AA after my car wouldn't start:

He traced the issue with the headlights to a relay somewhere.

After investigating the stalling issue he disconnected the battery to reset the control unit (suspecting that it needed to re-learn the voltage to keep the car idling) and now only the nearside light works, and is on with full brightness.

The starting issue has been traced back to a suspected fault on one of the coils. He also suggested this was the issue with the power loss whilst driving. This could also explain my lambda sensor and rich smell when the car is going.

Combined with a few other issues, it's looking like it might be too expensive to fix, unfortunately. Unless there are further pearls of wisdom here!
Old Sep 10th, 2017, 08:09   #19
loely

Hi,
If it is a relay for the headlamps, it can probably be found in the CEM module,You can change it yourself, see topics about this.Costs only a few £
he starting thing can be a coil in the starter but to me it looks od to lose power by it as the starter is disconected by a relay when not used.Loosing power while driving ,to my knowledge,can only by not loading enough or some BIG electric user (you load at 60 or 70 amps ).That seems unlikely.Are you shure your batt is ok?Can you try a different one for a while.
Your lamda thing can be a result off the low voltage seems to me but that is not my thing.
loely
The Following User Says Thank You to loely For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 08:36   #20
RowersS40

Hi all

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Unfortunately, I've decided to buy a new car due to the large number of faults outside of those mentioned here, continuing problems and unreliability. I decided the cost of finding the faults (given my technical ability), and fixing them, outweighed the benefit.

It would probably make a great car for a new mechanic to learn on!

My new car is a Volvo but hopefully, won't need to come on here for advice for a while...!

Tags
headlights