Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Chas x posts from RT Mechanics thread

Views : 23210

Replies : 185

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2011, 11:00   #171
Toplights
VOC Member 23660

OSA,once signed never recinded imo.I sighned it many years ago when working in the Aerospace industry,and as far as i'm concerned its still in force.
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 13:30   #172
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toplights941 View Post
OSA,once signed never recinded imo.I sighned it many years ago when working in the Aerospace industry,and as far as i'm concerned its still in force.
and your right to think that, there is no "expires" date on it, once you have signed it, thats that.
from another who signed it in the Distant past, due to the job i was doing at the time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 08:51   #173
s60ben
Master Member

The OSA doesn't have to be signed in any case.

The OSA is an Act of Law - Hence Official Secrets ACT and it binds everybody within the UK.

The "signing of it" is purely a ceremonial act as such, and a reminder to those people it particularly applies to, that their balls are in a vice should they step incorrectly.

RT Mechanics Info:
RT Mechanics Legal Threats
RT Mechanics Poor Work
s60ben is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to s60ben For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 10:05   #174
MacV70T5
I've Been Banned

The OSA has different levels and was revised 1989 the following is an extract from the latest and up to date part of the Act covering Security and Intelligence.

__________________________________________________ ________________
Security and intelligence.E+W+S+N.I..(1)A person who is or has been—.
(a)a member of the security and intelligence services; or.
(b)a person notified that he is subject to the provisions of this subsection,.
is guilty of an offense if without lawful authority he discloses any information, document or other article relating to security or intelligence which is or has been in his possession by virtue of his position as a member of any of those services or in the course of his work while the notification is or was in force.
(2)The reference in subsection (1) above to disclosing information relating to security or intelligence includes a reference to making any statement which purports to be a disclosure of such information or is intended to be taken by those to whom it is addressed as being such a disclosure..
(3)A person who is or has been a Crown servant or government contractor is guilty of an offense if without lawful authority he makes a damaging disclosure of any information, document or other article relating to security or intelligence which is or has been in his possession by virtue of his position as such but otherwise than as mentioned in subsection (1) above..
(4)For the purposes of subsection (3) above a disclosure is damaging if—.
(a)it causes damage to the work of, or of any part of, the security and intelligence services; or.
(b)it is of information or a document or other article which is such that its unauthorized disclosure would be likely to cause such damage or which falls within a class or description of information, documents or articles the unauthorized disclosure of which would be likely to have that effect..
(5)It is a defense for a person charged with an offense under this section to prove that at the time of the alleged offense he did not know, and had no reasonable cause to believe, that the information, document or article in question related to security or intelligence or, in the case of an offense under subsection (3), that the disclosure would be damaging within the meaning of that subsection..
(6)Notification that a person is subject to subsection (1) above shall be effected by a notice in writing served on him by a Minister of the Crown; and such a notice may be served if, in the Minister’s opinion, the work undertaken by the person in question is or includes work connected with the security and intelligence services and its nature is such that the interests of national security require that he should be subject to the provisions of that subsection..
(7)Subject to subsection (8) below, a notification for the purposes of subsection (1) above shall be in force for the period of five years beginning with the day on which it is served but may be renewed by further notices under subsection (6) above for periods of five years at a time..
(8)A notification for the purposes of subsection (1) above may at any time be revoked by a further notice in writing served by the Minister on the person concerned; and the Minister shall serve such a further notice as soon as, in his opinion, the work undertaken by that person ceases to be such as is mentioned in subsection (6) above..
(9)In this section “security or intelligence” means the work of, or in support of, the security and intelligence services or any part of them, and references to information relating to security or intelligence include references to information held or transmitted by those services or by persons in support of, or of any part of, them..

__________________________________________________ _____________

There is a similar document which is available for the Data Protection Act. I would suggest if any person is in a position of responsibility and has access to Information covered by the Act should read it if they contemplating releasing that information to the Public. It is a criminal offense.
MacV70T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 10:28   #175
Toplights
VOC Member 23660

I actually signed this in the late 60s,when working for Hawkers.
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 10:50   #176
RWD
Brick Pilot

I had to sign it when doing work experience at Vickers (a few years ago now!), as far as I recall its binding forever!
'98 V70 AWD B5254T Manual, sadly no more
‘95 940 LPT Celebration Estate, '88 740 B230FK Estate, '90 340 1.7
RWD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RWD For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 11:17   #177
Simeyb
SimeyB

Any news yet on LV having a word with their (for the moment) employee?
Simeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 11:24   #178
Toplights
VOC Member 23660

The Hitcher keeps going awol.
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 11:32   #179
MacV70T5
I've Been Banned

Somebody referred to the suggestion that we are all covered by the official secret act. I do not believe that this is totally true as the Act as above refers to persons that have access to information covered within the act. I held a commission with the TA and certainly at that time was covered by the Act. The Act was revised in 1989 to cover various ambiguities regarding who is covered and who is not.
Not wishing to derail this topic and would certainly not wish to take any sides but in the case of releasing information to the public that is covered under the Data Protection Act I would advice the person who may have accidentally released this information seek legal advice as it is now classed as a criminal offense. If it can be proved as a malicious attempt to slander or libel another I would be very worried. I am however not sure about the personal information given to a Forum to register is covered under the Act.

The Data Protection Act 1998 is as follows:
Your Firm and the Data Protection Act

All businesses that keep any information on living and identifiable people must comply with the Data Protection Act. The Act applies to any computerized or manual records containing personal information about people.

All businesses using personal data must comply with the data protection principles - enforceable rules for handling personal information - and some will also have to register (or notify) that they use personal information. This briefing covers:

•Whether you need to register.
•How you can comply with the Act.
•What circumstances are likely to trigger action by the data protection authorities.
•Some particular danger areas.

I post this information to help persons who may or may not be aware of the current situation regarding the OSA and the DPA I hope it is useful. It is of course subject to interpretation by those involved or having problems. I am not an expert and always open to advice that can be offered by persons with a greater knowledge than myself on this subject.
MacV70T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 12:37   #180
RobbieH
Two wheeled lycra lout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacV70T5 View Post
but in the case of releasing information to the public that is covered under the Data Protection Act I would advice the person who may have accidentally released this information seek legal advice as it is now classed as a criminal offense. If it can be proved as a malicious attempt to slander or libel another I would be very worried. I am however not sure about the personal information given to a Forum to register is covered under the Act.
Oh it was not accidental and definitely malicious.

54 V70 D5 SE (163, EUIII) MTE, Eibach, Powerflex, IPD arb's, TWR FMIC, Ferrita cat-back.
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bruce is bricking it, bruce mcfooknuggett, bye bye brucie, chas is a mann, cv writing tips, epic fail, lv= say goodbye to bruce, peado mcfecknuggett, pedro fandango, vpchav posterboy