Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Defrosting Car Windscreen/Windows - What do you do?

Views : 3665

Replies : 57

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 22:50   #41
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
If you have something like a Tesla, then you open the App on you smart phone and heat the cabin remotely.
Pah! Even my 2002 Rover 75 had ‘bathrobe mode’ - the fuel burning heater could be started on the remote from indoors.
Old Jan 24th, 2021, 00:30   #42
morwenna240

I'd agree with all the self doing methods; the de-icers, screen wash etc are just more chemicals, bad for enviro. Never used screen wash in life, water jet aimed AT SCREEN, rather than over the top of the car, from washers, does job just fine. Nor does it freeze in lines from wash bottle. Oh all ye, stop buying screen wash!
morwenna240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 10:21   #43
Rocinante
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morwenna240 View Post
I'd agree with all the self doing methods; the de-icers, screen wash etc are just more chemicals, bad for enviro. Never used screen wash in life, water jet aimed AT SCREEN, rather than over the top of the car, from washers, does job just fine. Nor does it freeze in lines from wash bottle. Oh all ye, stop buying screen wash!
Am I understanding you correctly, you don't use screen wash and instead put plain water in the washers, and it doesn't freeze ?

Can you explain how plain water does not freeze when the temperatures go below OC ?
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocinante For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 15:01   #44
V8XCV

De-icer sprays work by lowering the freezing temperature of the ice, so it melts the ice but cools the glass - so it steams up inside. Stopped using them years ago.

I used the warm water in 2L bottle method during the hard winter of 2010 on the V70 and never had an issue.

Now I pop them on and wait for engine to warm up, full heat, full fan, crack the side windows to let the moist air out (ours tend to freeze both sides of the windscreen as we oop north) and wait.

Screen wash needs to be rated to at least -12 here or it will freeze onto the screen in the morning, surface temperatures go very low on a clear night.

V70 T5 (1996)
V70 P2 D5 EUIII (2002)
XC90 V8 4.4 (2007)
V8XCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 20:56   #45
morwenna240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Am I understanding you correctly, you don't use screen wash and instead put plain water in the washers, and it doesn't freeze ?

Can you explain how plain water does not freeze when the temperatures go below OC ?
Well, i don't use screen wash/wipe straight after a below 0 start, maybe 5 mins later, when engine heat has warmed engine bay up. Thereafter there's no prob.This is 35 yrs experience in several car types, albeit mostly volvos an merc w123's.
morwenna240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2021, 09:56   #46
coreyreyes

Anyone tried homemade de-icing sprays? That's 2/3 white vinegar to 1/3 part water. Does it work pretty well?
coreyreyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2021, 11:11   #47
V8XCV

The freezing point of white vinegar is about -2C so in theory it would melt the water, but only very slightly, I've not tried it

V70 T5 (1996)
V70 P2 D5 EUIII (2002)
XC90 V8 4.4 (2007)
V8XCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2021, 11:27   #48
Rocinante
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morwenna240 View Post
Well, i don't use screen wash/wipe straight after a below 0 start, maybe 5 mins later, when engine heat has warmed engine bay up. Thereafter there's no prob.This is 35 yrs experience in several car types, albeit mostly volvos an merc w123's.
On my V60, with screenwash in the tank, when it's particularly cold, I can drive for an hour, and still not be getting anything out the washers. I'm not sure if you are suggesting water would outperform screenwash in sub zero temperatures ? I might give it a try.

I suspect though it's down to the model of the car and perhaps where the lines run/amount of engine heat given out. As far as I can tell the lines run from the tank in the front wing, along the wing somewhere and then along the back edge of the bonnet. None of which is particularly exposed to engine heat.

I might have to buy better screenwash.

Last edited by Rocinante; Jan 27th, 2021 at 11:30.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2021, 14:23   #49
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
I might have to buy better screenwash.
Prestone is the best. Job jobbed.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 02:16   #50
volvocat

I find VOC remote start from iphone works wonders (car stays locked and cannot be driven) - as long as I remember to set it soon enough before dashing out when I’m running late!
But I could just as easily forget to make time for the warm water / scraper method - great thing this forward planning...! 😳
volvocat is offline   Reply With Quote