Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sunroof mystery

Views : 421

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 24th, 2024, 14:21   #1
MWMan

Default Sunroof mystery

Hi all
Had my Heater Blower pack in this week, and have just about crippled myself changing that out. However, when I pulled back the passenger footwell carpet to gain access, I found the floor covered in water. I had a look at the drain from the heater blower motor (blowing down it to prove it was clear, I have checked the drains in the plenum area below the windscreen, and I also had a look at the sunroof drains.

All of these were clear, so as yet, I don't have a definitive asnwer as to why there was so much water. However, when I pulled back the sunroof (which I rarely use) to check the drains, I noticed two plastic components (picture attached), each lying in the corner near the drain holes. I have had a good look at the sunroof rail, but I cannot for the life me work out where they have come from.

Could some kind soul with a sunroof have a look and see if they can see where these have come from. They are about an inch long.

Many thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sunroof components.jpg (169.6 KB, 20 views)
Old Mar 24th, 2024, 15:06   #2
keith240
keith240

Having had the sodden floor in both a V50 and XC90, I would bet that the drain pipe has come adrift behind the A pillar trim. The pipe runs down the pillar and a join just above the dashboard shrinks over time and comes apart allowing the water to drain straight down in to the footwell.
keith240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keith240 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 09:40   #3
b1mcp

I did the heater motor replacement a few days ago and I also discovered soaking carpet so I'll follow this with interest.

I was short of time and only had a chance to do a quick check on the scuttle drains that looked OK also. Wife is away in car for a week so I won't get a another chance to look properly until weekend.

I'll certainly look at the sunroof and that A pillar pipe.

Also found a useful video on Youtube that's worth a look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzpaJ4ulRic

On a side note. How did you get on with doing the heater motor? I found it very difficult (actually impossible) to get the new motor/housing back in to the car. I ended up taking a hacksaw to the bottom of the glovebox aperture. It went straight in then. I'm pretty sure that's not the right way
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 11:30   #4
MWMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith240 View Post
Having had the sodden floor in both a V50 and XC90, I would bet that the drain pipe has come adrift behind the A pillar trim. The pipe runs down the pillar and a join just above the dashboard shrinks over time and comes apart allowing the water to drain straight down in to the footwell.
This is good to know, however to prove the sunroof drains were clear, I used a small diameter pipe and poured water down each side. I could see the water running out of the drain under the car, and didn't see any water coming into the car itself. Still, a good point to note for the future. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1mcp View Post
I did the heater motor replacement a few days ago and I also discovered soaking carpet so I'll follow this with interest.

I was short of time and only had a chance to do a quick check on the scuttle drains that looked OK also. Wife is away in car for a week so I won't get a another chance to look properly until weekend.

I'll certainly look at the sunroof and that A pillar pipe.

Also found a useful video on Youtube that's worth a look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzpaJ4ulRic

On a side note. How did you get on with doing the heater motor? I found it very difficult (actually impossible) to get the new motor/housing back in to the car. I ended up taking a hacksaw to the bottom of the glovebox aperture. It went straight in then. I'm pretty sure that's not the right way
I am 6' 1" tall and 69 years old. Not agood combination for getting under there in the first place. However, having just manging to get it out of the housing, I could not get it back in there. It seemed to be the foam padding over the cable channel that was stopping it, so I cut a section out of that. That enabled it to slip in quite easily. I then just duct taped the cutout section back in place.
Old Apr 5th, 2024, 11:16   #5
b1mcp

Just to follow up on my water leak. I found it and have fixed it (hopefully).

I removed all of the carpets, front and back and dried the interior floor. The carpets were soaking and needed drying out. I checked all of the drains with copious water from a hose but could find no issues and no water coming in.

I then used the hose to spay all of the front windscreen area and almost immediately had a trickle of water running down the soundproofing in the passenger footwell. On closer examination I could see it coming out from the edge of the Heater Motor housing near one of the mounting screws. All of the screws were tight so that wasn't a problem.

I removed the Heater Motor and then saw that the water was coming in at the lower windscreen trim. The photo below is taken from the passenger footwell, looking up through the aperture where the heater motor fits. In the picture the dark grey strip with the water drop is the lower screen trim piece. To the left of it is the actual windscreen, and to the right is the plastic scuttle below the screen.

I removed the trim but could see no obvious damage or corrosion, but it was quite dirty. I cleaned the lower edge of the screen and the trim, and put a bead of sealant in the trim on the windscreen side only and refitted it. Left it overnight to cure and then repeated the test. No more water.

Left car out in the rain for 4 days without the carpets and still no water. So I'm optimistic it's fixed.

@MWMan - I did check around my sunroof while doing the work but could not see any parts that resemble your photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2024-04-05_105550.jpg (121.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 2024-04-05_105612.jpg (175.4 KB, 34 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to b1mcp For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2024, 04:34   #6
MWMan

Thanks for this - very interesting. After fitting the blower motor and proving it OK, I put all the carpets and trim back in. Almost immediately I ran into another problem, which looks like the fuel pump and sender unit. I have ordered these and will be changing them at the weekend, once the parts arrive.
Based on your findings, I think I will remove the carpets again and check for water. If there is some in there (we have had a lot of rain since I changed the blower), I will do the same as you with regards to sealant, and see if that works.
Many thanks for this and for looking at the sunroof, which is still a mystery!