Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30 - Burnt clutch issues

Views : 2307

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 20:47   #1
Vesta Rose

Default C30 - Burnt clutch issues

After noticing a burnt rubber smell inside the car, I arranged for the car to be taken to the Volvo garage. They have told me that I have burnt the clutch because of the way I have been using the car and because it is my fault it will not be covered by the warranty and I have to pay costs os around £1200.

How can this be. I have been driving for more than 15 years and have not changed my driving so how come I never burnt a clutch before? The car is diesel and only 2 Years old with 7000 on the clock and was serviced by Volvo in January. I use it for normal driving - I am no boy racer so how could this be fault?

I am having a computer no says moment when speaking to Volvo who are adamant this is my fault.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Many thanks.
Vesta Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 21:14   #2
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Well the burden of proof is all on the garage. They have to prove that it is due to the way you have been driving that has caused it to fail. I think the garage is on a lose lose here IMHO.

I wouldn't have thought no mater how had you drive a car that the (under normal driving) that you could ruin the clutch in only 7000 miles. You would have to be revving the bollocks off the car and dropping the clutch every time you pulled off for it to fail normally.

The dealer CAN read data from the car on how it has been driven and they have the right to (read your handbook). This said though, just insist that it is not your fault and there must have been something wrong with the clutch. As long as you stick to this the dealer then has to prove otherwise.

It is a common problem on diesels that the DMF (dual mass flywheel) fails and this problem is in no way limited to Volvo. All manufacturers have these DMF problems.

Last edited by SonyVaio; Oct 3rd, 2011 at 21:22.
SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 21:18   #3
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

Clearly a fault.

Reject the car, leave it on their forecourt.. and tell them you're getting trading standards (get an incident number) involved and sueing them.

Also - start calling and writing to the MD of their company.

They'll realize your trouble fairly quick and solve your issue!

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 22:10   #4
Spanny

Trust me, a clutch can be completely burnt out inside 50 miles if there is either something wrong with the car, driver, or something thats happend during installation......
7k miles you can rule out a genuine manufacture or material defect.... my guessing would be a thermal over load on the clutch lining..... Do you hold the car on the biting point on a hill?? move off in 2nd gear?? have they stated whats wrong with the clutch?? how's it burnt out?? lining completely gone on the plate??

Let me know what you can and ill try to advise..... also if you have any pictures let me know.
Regards
Dan
Spanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 22:12   #5
Spanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
Clearly a fault.

Reject the car, leave it on their forecourt.. and tell them you're getting trading standards (get an incident number) involved and sueing them.

Also - start calling and writing to the MD of their company.

They'll realize your trouble fairly quick and solve your issue!
Not being funny but you can't just spit your dummy out like this.... it won't solve anything, if anything it'll make them dig there heels in and tell you to get it sorted, or get it off there property......

Last edited by Spanny; Oct 3rd, 2011 at 22:30.
Spanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 23:10   #6
Vesta Rose

Thank you for your posts. I do think I am being fobbed off by Volvo. The authorised garage simply have the view that if Volvo hold to their gun that this is not a fault under warranty then why should the garage pay for it. I will therefore have to argue it out with volvo rather than the authorised repair centre but I will give them a chance to do the right thing.

Wondering if anyone else has had similar problems with their clutch, as obviously if there is pattern that may help my case.

Many thanks.
Vesta Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 08:36   #7
v40bart
Master Member

There could be various reasons for untimely demise of your clutch. First and most common is prolonged slipping of the clutch while moving off or resting your foot on the pedal while driving, but as you have been driving for 15 years without burning out all your other cars' clutches I think we can safely assume it was not the case. The other reason could be the slave cylinder not returning fully and not allowing the clutch to engage fully (seen that before). Next could be a knackered dual mass flywheel, in extreme cases causing clutch slip. Faulty master cylinder? Maybe something obstructing the clutch pedal not allowing it to return fully? Bad adjustment? Faulty self adjusting pressure plate? Without examination of the clutch components out of the car no one can tell. You could get the clutch examined by a third party engineering company or something to avoid the obvious bias.
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 08:51   #8
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanny View Post
Not being funny but you can't just spit your dummy out like this.... it won't solve anything, if anything it'll make them dig there heels in and tell you to get it sorted, or get it off there property......
Maybe... but as he said he's just getting fobbed off.

I've worked in customer service (at John Lewis) before dealing with loads of complaints... and the people who make the biggest noise generally get what they want.

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 08:57   #9
Buckers

Thought I would enter the fray with my ten pence. Having mentioned that it might be a faulty master cylinder it would be worth going to a Volvo dealer,my 2010 S40 2.0D R-Design was in the garage for a lumpy running engine for tests for two days. When I went to collect the car the service dept told me that they had replaced the clutch master cylinder as it was subject to a recall. I am sure there are more knowledgeable people here that can tell you how to check if your car is affected. Might be worth a look though, especially if it saves £1200.
Buckers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 09:04   #10
v40bart
Master Member

Recall is unrelated. It concerns a design fault where a pushrod is made of plastic and it can snap. Replacement has a metal pushrod.