Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Random D5 cylinder 4 misfire solved - check your D5

Views : 7062

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 18:38   #1
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Default Random D5 cylinder 4 misfire solved - check your D5

So on my MY2009 185hp D5 diesel I would occasionally - as in once every few weeks or months - get a misfire on cylinder 4.
Never noticeable when driving, but logged in the engine ECU.
Very rare, and no discernible pattern to it.

So a few weekends ago, after chatting with a fellow forum member, I checked the fuel trim balance between cylinders - all very well within spec, and then decided to have a good close look at the injector electrics.

I removed the injector cover, and unplugged all the injectors and inspected the connectors.
All but cylinder 5 were clean and dry. Cylinder 5 had the start of white oxidation on it.
I used contact cleaner spray on all connectors and on the injectors as well, and got them all clean.
Tip: when still wet with contact cleaner, mate the connector a few times in and out so that the contacting surfaces of the pins have contact cleaner moving about on them. Helps to clean the mating surfaces.

I also cleaned all the dusty injector connectors so that the weather-proof rubber seal would mate well.
In fact, I cleaned everything under that injector cover as best I could.

I then inspected the wiring loom and found something I suspect was the root cause of the problem.
Most of the injector wiring loom is inside a plastic semi-flexible trunking, except where wires break out of the loom to go to an injector.
At these breakout points, the wires are protected inside a flexible braided sleeve.

Exactly on injector 4, the loom was hard pressed against the injector, so hard that the wiring loom had formed a molded curve as it went around the injector casing.
Given that the injectors can be at 90°C then the engine is running, and that the injector body is bare metal, I was not happy with that at all.

I cable-tied the loom back to the wiring loom guide, so that it was well clear of all injectors (and any other metal bodies where vibration and chaffing may occur).

Since that cleanup of injector contacts and re-positioning the loom away from the injector bodies, I have not logged a single ECU misfire.

I'm hoping I found the root cause of the problem and have fixed it for good.

At any rate, I recommend you check your injector wiring loom and make sure the loom is clear of the injectors.
And check the injector connectors for cleanliness as well, and remove any signs of oxidation using contact cleaner spray.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 23:59   #2
Whizzer

Can't agree more!

Corrosion to the injector connections (cylinder 4 in my case) was the downfall of my trip to Austria last year resulting in abandoning my car at Stuttgart Volvo and continuing in hire car!

Fortunately not too expensive repair (new connector), just a pain!

I regularly remove these connectors and use contact cleaner as Swiss says.

Off to Austria next week - fingers crossed.
Whizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Whizzer For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2018, 12:41   #3
SwissXC90
Premier Member

2 Month Update
It's been at least 2 months since I cleaned the injector connectors and re-positioned the wiring loom

Not a single ECU error logged in all that time... great!
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 30th, 2019, 11:30   #4
Mijasman

Default Where can I get them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizzer View Post
Can't agree more!

Corrosion to the injector connections (cylinder 4 in my case) was the downfall of my trip to Austria last year resulting in abandoning my car at Stuttgart Volvo and continuing in hire car!

Fortunately not too expensive repair (new connector), just a pain!

I regularly remove these connectors and use contact cleaner as Swiss says.

Off to Austria next week - fingers crossed.
The electrical connector to number 5 injector on my 2006 XC90 is broken. In order to avoid buying a complete engine wiring loom, I am desperately searching for a replacement connector but am unable to find one. Do I really have to replace the entire wiring harness? I cant even locate a used harness.

Help please
Mijasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2019, 14:29   #5
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Volvo can sell you a spare connector
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 07:28   #6
Davidasherson

Default D5 misfire 2014XC 60

So delighted to find these posts. I have been told by mechanics that my car engine is perfect on the one hand to needing to replace the small turbo on the other! Gave up in the end. My misfire is so sporadic and I am sure it is electrical. There is one specific corner in which I can sometimes replicate the miss. Probably because of a shift in weight in the engine that causes the injector wiring to shift.
Will give it a try and report back.
Many thanks to all.
Davidasherson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
connector, injector, misfire