Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Difficult problem. doors wont open.

Views : 613

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 6th, 2018, 13:31   #1
gottobeg

Default Difficult problem. doors wont open.

Hello.
I own a 2002 volvo v70. Yesterday as usual i locked the doors with a key (don´t have a remote) and today they would not open. The key turns nicely both ways but somehow it wont unlock the doors. from between the doors i tried pulling up the knobs with a string. the knobs moved up nicely but still nothing. then i tried pulling the handles with a wire but still no luck. there are also no other keyholes other than the driver door one. It seems that the doors are deadlocked and the pin might have come loose from the driver lock shaft so it wont turn. now i have ran out of ideas of what to do. for my disadvantage i have previously disconnected the driver main window mechanism. so even if i attach a key to the wire and turn the ignition on, i still can not lower any of the windows to get inside of the car. as i have studied and searched from the internet for hours i am starting to lose hope and it seems that my only option is to bust a window, remove the driver seat, rip off the driver door panel and somehow press the brass latch that will open the driver door. Is it possible that some of the fuses are bad and that´s why it wont open the driver door (to my understanding, the door should still open with a key, even if the deadbolt is activated) or are there any other methods of how i could get inside or just something that helps. i would not like to smash in a window i´m getting desperate.
gottobeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 14:22   #2
abdiel
VOC Member

Default Doors won't open

The doors are deadlocked, so try turning the key to open the door as usual but when the key appears to not want to go any further, apply more pressure to force it further forward. You may think that you will snap the key if you try any harder, but the key will release the deadlock if you turn it hard enough!

Kind regards, Phil.
abdiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 15:58   #3
gottobeg

Thanks Abdiel, i will try it out. I got inside the car by attaching a key to a wire rod and turning the ignition on. Then used another wire rod to press down on the sunroof button making it to open. (since its not connected to the powerwindow panel) Then climbed in and opened the hood to unplug the battery. My friend told me that unplugging the battery for half an hour should cause the deadlock to disengage. He was not sure tho. If that does not work i will try the method you told me. I got the car like a year ago and it had an issue that the doors would not lock. After watching some videos i found out that the lock rod was not in its right position. I took the door apart, put the rod in its right position and got everything to work properly. Maybe now the same thing happened that the rod came loose but in a locked position. I wonder if i get the door open or not after all this hustle. At the moment i have my sunroof covered up so the rain wont get inside. I will keep you updated. Thanks again!
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 16:44   #4
gottobeg

I now tried both methods:
1. turned the key as hard as i possibly could. No response
2. unplugged the battery and reconnected it 30 minutes later. No response.
All of the doors are still shut. Locking knobs up or down but the inside handle wont open any of the doors. Same thing with the outside handles. The boot latch located on the driver side door also has no effect on opening the boot. I now only have the sunroof open but other than that its a total lockdown. Any more ideas?
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 19:21   #5
reggit
Premier Member

If the car is a 7 seater with the fold down boot seats, there will be a key slot in the boot, on the right above the number plate. If not, you'll see a pressing on the panel in it's place.
Long shot, but may get you in the car without climbing on the roof.
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 20:03   #6
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggit View Post
If the car is a 7 seater with the fold down boot seats, there will be a key slot in the boot, on the right above the number plate. If not, you'll see a pressing on the panel in it's place.
Long shot, but may get you in the car without climbing on the roof.
Whilst mine is indeed 7-seater..

I thought this lock to be standard thing, just in case one cannot open other door?
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 20:20   #7
reggit
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
Whilst mine is indeed 7-seater..

I thought this lock to be standard thing, just in case one cannot open other door?
It’s only on the factory 7 seaters. And the s60 as a way into the boot of it gets a dead battery.
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 20:56   #8
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

ok.. I have to accept that..
I have to also accept that there is some logic behind it...

but i still dont like it

crawling all the way back to open the boot if the battery is dead (standard V70)..

what if theres loads of stuff in the boot?

as i sai- i don`t like it (on standard V70s- mine is "immune")
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 20:58   #9
gottobeg

I have the small latch above the number plate where you should be able to unlock it but if i pull up the latch, there is only plastic without the keyhole. Just as if it is intended there but not included. This still does not fix my main problem, which is opening the doors. Thanks anyway
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 22:29   #10
reggit
Premier Member

Do the dead locks release if you start the car? Or does the unlock button work then?

My only other idea involves probably badly damaging the door card to get to the mechanism. Hopefully someone else will know a trick or 2.

Or go to volvo and get a remote coded to the car?

Tags
deadbolt, door, door problem, help me, volvo v70