Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Our C70, 11 years on...

Views : 2774

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 30th, 2009, 22:49   #1
irishcarfan
Master Member

Default Our C70, 11 years on...

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd share some thoughts here from Ireland.

In April 98, my dad bought a brand new C70 coupe T5 Auto with GT pack etc - it was maybe the 4th car brought here. It's Nautic blue/beige leather with the 17' wheels. After 11 years, it has just turned 16,900 miles on the odo, mainly because he hates the car. He traded in his much loved 740 GLE for the C70 and having driven a few 850s, assumed the car would drive like one of them with the added bonus of having the T5 engine. He didn't bother testing it, just walked in and paid the nearly 40k sterling (this in 1998) and drove it away. On the way home, he immediately drove it straight to another Volvo dealer because the car felt like the suspension was falling out, the brakes didn't seem to work and after the the 740/850, the 'heavy' steering was shocking.

Anyway, he gave it a few months and decided he hated the car for the above reasons which were never really fixed. He tried to get Volvo to sort the car out but Volvo didn't want to know, and the best they would do was give him a then brand new S80 T6 for a little off list price. He drove the T6 but that car was a similar story to the C70. Looking back, as a long time customer of the brand, he was treated absolutely terribly by Volvo Ireland. At the time, he was far too busy with a million other things to worry about trying to do anything involving the courts; he simply wanted the car to work as he had expected it to. So, as always, he solved the problem himself; he bought another Volvo that August - possibly the last or second last 940 estate in Ireland!! It was almost identical to the 740, only with the LPT and with AC, he liked it even more!

So, the C70 got parked. For the first four/five years, it was used every so often but from 01/02 when us kids started getting cars, it pretty much didn't get any use. The 940 meanwhile became the workhorse and has completed 122,000 faultless miles in stop start traffic! He bought a few S40/S80s since then too which are still floating around, and a new Hyundai Sonata this year as well. Despite them all, he still drives the 940 over any of them - but the worst of the lot is the C70, which remains parked!

And that's my reason for posting here. Having driven and owned so many Volvos (240/66/340/740/S40/S80/940) we just can't understand why the C70 is so bad. Dad even drove the new C70 CC there in 06 and if it wasnt for the poor quality interior yet huge price over here (it should not be called a C70), like the other C70, he would have bought it there and then. So how could they get the first one so wrong?!?! In our view, it compromised everything that Volvo were about up to that point.

Here is a list of things that have gone wrong with the car:

Steering is just 'wrong'. How could Volvo of all people abandon the turning circle? I don't know about you guys, but I would hazard a guess of ~13m being the turning circle on our car. Strange knocking noise/feeling from day one. Weighting is odd and inconsistent, but having driven some S40s, I don't know what Volvo are up to here at all. 940 is much more normal, but it's rwd obviously.

Brakes don't work - pedal goes to the floor first time - then will be ok next time. But then might be down to the floor again. The system has been bled multiple times and Volvo keep saying it's normal. Nothing leaking though. I've driven Micras and cars that cost €400 with better brakes.

Suspension. I was quite surprised that it is quite good at high speed, but only on billiard-table smooth roads. Around town etc. it's unsettled and too hard. But I can forgive it for that, kind of. Volvo/TWR probably had a difference of opinion.

Drivers door started to fall off. Hinges aren't strong enough for long door - apparently S70 hinges are used and Volvo didn't feel the need to reinforce them. Anyway, the sagging, caused the rubbing strip to get pulled off between door and front wing. Broke out hearts.

Driver's door window has fallen out. I don't know what to say about that.

Window surround trim that arcs from front to back windows fell off on both sides, that was quite soon after we got it. Volvo used double sided foam tape to hold them on. Double. Sided. Tape. On a so-called 150 mph luxury coupe?

Passanger door just opened by itself one time when we were driving. Turned out that it was falling off.

Stereo/electric Seats/Aerial are all tempermental.

Battery. Has gone through many! Battery will go completely flat for no apparent reason. I still haven't worked this one out. It can be a bit embarrassing getting jump-started by a 1996 Nissan Almera in a carpark - but it's happened. Since 01/02, we never alarm the car but even this doesn't help.. I suppose the way it get's laid up these days for so long doesn't help either. But it's started on a weekly basis if not driven.

Leaks. It leaked like a sieve from day one. Probably didn't help with the door falling off. We didn't even realise it at first just noticed a waterfall one day running down the interior.

Wind noise. Where the door mirror meets the frame. Multiple air aroutes here and it is impossible to track down. At speeds over 70 mph, the car is unbearable. Even on windy days at low speeds, it sounds like a gale.

Engine/Gearbox are fine, thankfully. It's very fast, only not quite as fast as we'd hoped - but good enough.

General living: You have to plan your journey in the C70. First of all, getting it out on to the road. With the turning circle of the QE2, this takes a while, so you'd better not be in a hurry. What road? Around here in Dublin, there are certain roads you just CAN'T drive on. Whatever about getting rattled around inside, it's heartbreaking to hear the car shudder/squeak itself to bits over any potholes, so we avoid them altogether. Shopping? Only certain car-parks around here will do it. To drive the C70 around a multi-story car-park is an art form; I believe you become a better driver for it btw! Closing the door behind you. You might think this is a simple task, but given the way it's prone to sagging, our driver's door has to be lined up by sight. It takes a few goes to get right, otherwise it catches the seals incorrectly and causes leaks/trim to fall off. Closing the door with you in the car. You lower the window *slightly* close the door, raise the window. Easy, right?!

Anyway. That's out C70. When I see the problems written there, they don't seem so bad. But this is a car with 16,800 miles on it - it's barely run in! Even if it is 11 years old! It's little annoying things though that hurt. You end up looking at brand little £5000 Suzukis and the like and think, 'I bet their door isn't falling off! I bet their car isn't leaking!!!'...

It's an early car, and it's the only one of it's type that I've driven. I always hoped that by 2002 or so, and maybe in 2.0 LPT guise, it might have been an easier car to live with and by then build would have improved? Anyone here got one?! We'll always keep this one, even though Dad hates it so much. I secretly like it. It's very comfortable for a start - I'm always surprised when I sit into it by the seats; they just seem right. We all agree that it looks absolutely fantastic. I will never forget the first time I saw the car. For me, it is about as good looking as coupes get and that's whatever the badge. If it was RWD it would have been perfect, maybe I'll get a Holden Monaro someday! So, meanwhile, our C70 remains sitting under the carport where it does what it does best; looks good!

Also, the driver's door is falling off again, anyone got any ideas?!?!? I'm off home in the 940!
irishcarfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 23:41   #2
AcidicDavey
Younger Member

Well a brand new car could be a shed and the customer should allways check over the car thourghly and has the right to not accept delivery. If the brakes are as bad as you say they are, how's it got through it's MOT and done 16K?
AcidicDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 08:06   #3
Simon J
Premier Member

Quite a horror story, and your Dad is a very tolerant guy. Our C70 T5 GT convertible (Nautic Blue, beige leather, etc.) is six years old, 66K miles and while some of your woes are familiar I'm still delighted with mine. Maybe we get better treated here in the Wee Six!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcarfan View Post
Hi guys,

Steering is just 'wrong'. How could Volvo of all people abandon the turning circle? I don't know about you guys, but I would hazard a guess of ~13m being the turning circle on our car. Strange knocking noise/feeling from day one. Weighting is odd and inconsistent, but having driven some S40s, I don't know what Volvo are up to here at all. 940 is much more normal, but it's rwd obviously.
Agreed, the turning circle is dire, but the creaking and groaning seems to be a trait of the C70 and is easily cured by lubricating the steering stops which are there to prevent the larger wheels fouling the arches.

Quote:
Brakes don't work - pedal goes to the floor first time - then will be ok next time. But then might be down to the floor again. The system has been bled multiple times and Volvo keep saying it's normal. Nothing leaking though. I've driven Micras and cars that cost €400 with better brakes.
Never had this problem on our C70 but it did happen on my previous V70 and the master cylinder was replaced immediately under warranty by our dealer.

Quote:
Suspension. I was quite surprised that it is quite good at high speed, but only on billiard-table smooth roads. Around town etc. it's unsettled and too hard. But I can forgive it for that, kind of. Volvo/TWR probably had a difference of opinion.
Never driven a coupe but certainly the convertible is a harsh ride on anything other than billiard smooth roads.

Quote:
Drivers door started to fall off. Hinges aren't strong enough for long door - apparently S70 hinges are used and Volvo didn't feel the need to reinforce them. Anyway, the sagging, caused the rubbing strip to get pulled off between door and front wing. Broke out hearts.
Can't relate to this one at all. There is absolutely no drop whatsoever in either door and they have never given any problem.

Quote:
Driver's door window has fallen out. I don't know what to say about that.
Yep, had that twice! Each time fixed under warranty, but now my warranty has expired :-(

Quote:
Window surround trim that arcs from front to back windows fell off on both sides, that was quite soon after we got it. Volvo used double sided foam tape to hold them on. Double. Sided. Tape. On a so-called 150 mph luxury coupe?
I guess this is a coupe issue - don't have it on the convertible.

Quote:
Passanger door just opened by itself one time when we were driving. Turned out that it was falling off.
No problems with either door, ever.

Quote:
Stereo/electric Seats/Aerial are all tempermental.
I deliberately didn't specify the electric seats as they are so slow, but we've had no problems with the radio or aerial. The secret with the aerial is to install an aerial down switch that allows you to keep the aerial down when just playing CDs. That probably reduces the wear and tear on it.

Quote:
Battery. Has gone through many! Battery will go completely flat for no apparent reason. I still haven't worked this one out. It can be a bit embarrassing getting jump-started by a 1996 Nissan Almera in a carpark - but it's happened. Since 01/02, we never alarm the car but even this doesn't help.. I suppose the way it get's laid up these days for so long doesn't help either. But it's started on a weekly basis if not driven.
Yep, I've had this problem and it seems to have been caused by a faulty boot lid switch that popped the boot and then left the interior light on. The switch was replaced under warranty and it seems to have been OK ever since.

Quote:
Leaks. It leaked like a sieve from day one. Probably didn't help with the door falling off. We didn't even realise it at first just noticed a waterfall one day running down the interior.
Never had any problem and our car has sat outside for most of its life. Only recently have I noticed a slight tendency to drip a little from the upper part of the driver's window in really heavy rain, but that is simply wear and tear on the seal after six years and not unreasonable

Quote:
Wind noise. Where the door mirror meets the frame. Multiple air aroutes here and it is impossible to track down. At speeds over 70 mph, the car is unbearable. Even on windy days at low speeds, it sounds like a gale.
I guess I don't notice this as I'd expect the convertible to be somewhat noisy.

Quote:
Engine/Gearbox are fine, thankfully. It's very fast, only not quite as fast as we'd hoped - but good enough.
Agreed, faster is better!

Quote:
General living: You have to plan your journey in the C70. First of all, getting it out on to the road. With the turning circle of the QE2, this takes a while, so you'd better not be in a hurry. What road? Around here in Dublin, there are certain roads you just CAN'T drive on. Whatever about getting rattled around inside, it's heartbreaking to hear the car shudder/squeak itself to bits over any potholes, so we avoid them altogether. Shopping? Only certain car-parks around here will do it. To drive the C70 around a multi-story car-park is an art form; I believe you become a better driver for it
Agreed, car parks are a nightmare!

Quote:
It's an early car, and it's the only one of it's type that I've driven. I always hoped that by 2002 or so, and maybe in 2.0 LPT guise, it might have been an easier car to live with and by then build would have improved?
I think you've hit the nail on the head here. These cars were hand built and from what I've read the early ones were pretty dire, so much so that Volvo brought the manufacturing in house, or at least more under their direct control. Certainly I recognise a few of your problems in my car, but they have been relatively minor in the grand scheme of things. I love mine - maybe you can learn to love yours!

Last edited by Simon J; Jul 31st, 2009 at 08:08.
Simon J is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon J For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 12:09   #4
bigV

This sounds exactly like my experience of the C70..... a very, very pretty car with a great engine but just too many design faults to be enjoyable / usable day to day........ I had all the issues you describe and mine was a 98 model too.

I have now gone back to the 850 T5 which is a much better car to drive IMHO.

Last edited by bigV; Jul 31st, 2009 at 12:12.
bigV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigV For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 17:55   #5
oakeyfamily

Irishcarfan, so sorry to hear about your car, mine is a 2000 (W) 2.0 turbo Cabriolet and whilst our car has a lot of the "niggles" yours has it is still a beaut. My wife loves it as it was her 50th birthday pressie. we have not had the door falling off but most of what SimonJ says about the model has happened to us. Stick with it kid and get the big things sorted thru the forum.
best of luck,
oakeyfamily
oakeyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oakeyfamily For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 13:40   #6
irishcarfan
Master Member

Thanks for the replies guys!

@Simon J. Thanks for the very detailed reply!! I thought I was going crazy when I read my post back - i.e. - is it just us??! I think the problem with us was mainly Volvo Ireland's total lack of help with it, suppose it just left a bad taste in the mouth. But I know they were keen to get the car back from Dad especially in the first year as there were NONE over here - it was a real headturner back in 98 - especially over here as we were yet to experience any of the silly property boom stuff - so nice cars were rare.

The steering. Yeah I'm aware of the stops alright, but in ours they feel kind of... ambiguous?! It's hard to describe, in most cars there is a definite 'stop' but in the C70, as you put on the lock, the steering gets heavier towards the end before it hits the lock - kind of rubbery? It's odd, it feels as if something isn't alligned properly... But I think I'll have to get out and have a look.

The master cylinder - I've been wondering about this for a while. Any idea what kind of unit went into yours?

Bootlid switch? Hmm, yeah that's similar to what I thought was happening on ours only that I can't detect what is faulty/running down the battery!

Yeah, ironically I think the convertible is probably ok on the leaks front! The coupe has this strange system of rubbers that just doesnt work. The seals work on the basis of the door window's pressure on the rubber, if you read me. There's no lip as such, as Volvo were trying for a 'clean' design. So if that pressure isn't there, like when say the door is falling off, the car isn't water-tight.

I forgot to say that back in late 98(?) Volvo offered us the first demo convertible here. It was a dark green one and myself and Dad went to see it. The roof stopped working in the Volvo showroom - and that was just before the Volvo guys asked dad if he had crashed the C70 (their reasoning behind all the problems). As you said my dad is a very tolerant guy.

But good to hear that yours is going well. They are becoming rare again over here - I saw an 04 convertible yesterday and it made me turn my head!! They really are super looking things and when you do hit a nice road with no traffic, say at 2am, I find it's great fun. So, yep, I do like the car but, I'm currently working on an old Daf 66 Marathon Coupe - another of the cars Dad bought new back in '73 or so - It almost rubs salt into the wounds to see a car from the 60s essentially that doesn't leak... has brakes... windows don't fall out.... door isn't falling off Ah well, life is more interesting when these things happen!

@bigV: yep can understand that. I haven't driven an 850 T5 but years and years ago I briefly drove a 2.5 and it went very well. I think that's what annoys me though as well, the 850, a perfectly nice easy car to drive and comfortable too - with a great turning circle - how did Volvo undo that?! Drove the 940 the other eve, I'm sure some hate it, but in the damp, the rwd is great fun - wish it had more power though. Shame Volvo went fwd, but as far as fwd goes, most Volvos are pretty good.

@oakeyfamily: thanks for the enthusiastic reply - again, great to hear that yours is going well too, and believe me, I understand why you like the car! I must talk to Volvo again and see what the story is with the hinges, maybe they were eventually reinforced. They are heavy old doors. The driver's window is up to something again. When it is down, it is rattling away inside the door as if it has come away from the mounts. But it's only when fully down and is normal apart from that!

Thanks again for the replies guys. I'll see about doing some of these things. Busy here though
irishcarfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 21:29   #7
Christerart
VOC Member

Default Maybe I shouldn't resurrect old thread..=*^)

I was searching the thread for the noises I got from the front end today of my newly bought 2000 C70 LPT coupe with 73K (cam belt exchanged at 68K) on the engine.

I read the posts in this thread and I just wanted to say that this couple is still tight, no rattles *at all* (ok, it *is* a coupe) - everything works (including the arial and CD player).

The car has the Pro Logic sound system which is absolutely awesome, works *very* well with a £22 Griffin RoadTrip transmitter from eBay and one of our old smaller iPods. The antenna works - oops - wrote that already. The climate control works - perfectly.

The brakes grip like you threw out a 5 ton anchor, the locks and boot works perfectly. Actually - so far with about 400 miles on the car, some local, some over the road, I've not found anything that doesn't work.

On a 100 mile trip today down to Colchester doing 65 - 70 true (GPS) on cruise (yes it works perfectly as does the computer) I was getting 40 - 45 mpg most of the time.

Anyway - yes - the large turning circle is certainly a negative and it takes some time getting used to - and a pain in the derriere when you're in a place where the streets are narrow and the parking ramp is even tighter - which is why I for the first time got to hear the creaking and groaning when I had to make some very tight turns in the very tight parking ramp. So, the grease is going to be applied directly..=*^)

Truly, the car is lovely, the manual leather seats are incredibly comfy and the seat warmers works (in both seats) - and what a pleasure that is in this climate. Jess and I are thinking we're not going to fly to Sweden for the yearly summer sailing but drive it there - we enjoy it that much (so far anyway)..=*^)

The sunroof works, the doors close perfectly, do not sag and the wind noise is no more than any other two door hard top with the same lack of B pillar - in other words - the seals are still good. All the trim looks like the car was new - not almost 13 years old.

Jess loved the way the front passenger seat belt is attached to the slide bar by the floor and the way the seatbelt slides out of the way when the passenger seat is pushed forward - no complaints at all and she was the one sitting in the back today..=*^)

And when you want to - the car *moves* - with a lovely sound from the front.

There's an oddity with ours I've not seen on pics of any other C70 - it has "TURBO" at the bottom and the middle of the trunk lid.
Christerart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 23:26   #8
Keith M

Default C70 discharging battery

Hi, new to posting but had a 2003 C70 Convertible for about 4 years and been very happy with it.
It continually discharged battery when I first bought it. If left for a week, it would be flat. Managed to eventually track it down to the standard fit radio. Got another from a scrappy and been ok since. Just pull the radio out for a couple of weeks and see how it goes.
Best of luck
Keith
Keith M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2019, 17:52   #9
DSK
C70 T5

I've got 2 and they both do 1,000 miles a week snow or shine.... (I also have the S70R)

Turning circle is a PITA but you kinda get used to it.

I have to disagree about the suspension. Standard OEM is compliant, silky smooth but soft. I'd agree some hard ruts etc can become quite noticeable around town. Both of mine has been upgraded since and IMO Eibach spring and Bilstein B4 make it nicer improving body control without impacting outright comfort, which my 2nd shows in comparison on Bilstein B12. One of the best motoryway cruisers period.

Door hinges, wind noise, brake issues cannot be common unless something was not done right on a given car. One thing I liked about the C70 was the rock solid brake pedals which they both retain some 200,000+ miles on! Not has any issues with seals etc either.

I comfortably get around 38mpg average on a non eco trip between the midlands and London and then a tank average of around 33mpg commuting to/from Berkshire/London during the week.

This destroys my 2013 Astra 2.0 GTC and 2010 Merc E350 diesels I tried on lease and just went back to using the C70's as they feel/are more refined pieces of quality rather than plastic crap.

My 2007 CLS 320 CDI only has 65,000 genuine miles on and has been family owned since new, even that doesn't feel as luxurious sf the C70 cruising the motorways.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2019, 22:20   #10
eternal optimist
Master Member

This is a ten year old thread. I wonder how the OP’s father is getting on with the car now?
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eternal optimist For This Useful Post:

Tags
c70, door, leaks, steering, t5 engine