Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Possible leak from windscreen

Views : 3180

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 9th, 2018, 18:20   #31
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Blowing that up as large as i can suggests the metal around that hole has rotted and gone porous, exactly as mine did in my response with the photo (7th post into this thread i think) so expect a fairly big bill for welding in a new patch of steel.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 09:49   #32
Delta66

It is still solid enough to take quite a battering, fingers crossed since I know about 3 weeks ago it was dry, that it is not as bad as yours. Now booked in to the garage, carpet etc out and soak it to see where the leak is coming from.
Delta66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 10:41   #33
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Mine was solid but the metal had gone porous through corrosion. It didn't even look bad until the grinder came out!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 12:35   #34
Delta66

It looks solid enough;

I removed the underlay, which was very wet. The upper underlay I cannot get see how to remove. It is a bit damp underneath, I dried it as much as I could.

I have laid out kitchen towel and will see what appears with the next rain, due this evening.
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 15:33   #35
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default 940 tdi auto 1995

hi looks like you are making some progress . i still think i woud remove the carpet and sound damper from behind the foot pedals then you are stating with a clean sheet so to say leave it like this for now and you will find the leaks . these leaks will cause major body problems if left . im sure you will find it and hopefully fix the leak yourself with the right mastics and save lots of money . don't give up
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jpliddy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 19:41   #36
Delta66

I cannot see how to remove that upper underlay and I do not want to cut or pull it off. I have propped it up so it can dry out underneath, not that underneath is particularly wet. The material used is nothing like as absorbent as the underlay I removed.

When I tipped it on its side water actually flowed out of it. It is now pouring down outside, so I will see what the result is tomorrow.
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 20:01   #37
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta66 View Post
It looks solid enough;

I removed the underlay, which was very wet. The upper underlay I cannot get see how to remove. It is a bit damp underneath, I dried it as much as I could.

I have laid out kitchen towel and will see what appears with the next rain, due this evening.
I'm trying to figure out what that brown thing is on the right hand side of the photo, from the anlge it's difficult to tell if it's the body work, the ECU or something else.
Either way it looks water-stained so my be an idea to follow that upwards.

As for the soundproofing (the black underlay) that just lifts up and away or should.

Old Feb 10th, 2018, 20:11   #38
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default 940 tdi auto 1995

hi yes i haven't got the brown thing on the bottom right pillar either .
i did cut my rubber type under lay to gain access to this area behind foot pedals
it can be just put back in place after but be very careful as you will need a very sharp/new stanley knife one slip and you will be making a trip to the A and E
SORRY TO SOUND OVER CAUTIOUS
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jpliddy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 20:19   #39
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Over cautious nothing Jim! What you say is right!

It's very tough rubber that the soundproofing is made from and will blunt the Stanley blade fairly quickly too. An old (sharp) pair of kitchen scissors is another option but is harder work.

With the trim out of the way, mine peeled back with the carpet fairly easily so it was out of the way for the welding.

Old Feb 10th, 2018, 20:22   #40
Delta66

The underlay is attached around the peddles, I supposed I could cut it, but it is working to just lift it. The darker patches are not all wet, just the lower edge where it was in contact with the underlay.

The underlay is drying surprisingly quickly, propped up next to a radiator.

The brown thing is the end of the ECU. I had kitchen towel stuffed in behind it and it stayed dry.

It is due to possibly snow tomorrow, which is good, since the water appeared for the first time after snow.
The Following User Says Thank You to Delta66 For This Useful Post: