Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wanted 940 Estate - Petrol

Views : 1017

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 13th, 2024, 01:58   #1
Sally Cavanagh

Default Wanted 940 Estate - Petrol

Our lovely 'Aubergine' 940 Estate was stolen, joy ridden. crashed and then torched over Christmas. Speechless and gutted when police came to our house at 2.30am in the morning to tell us - took a while to take it in.....

We love 940s so now we are looking for a replacement - not fussed about whether it's automatic or manual. Preferrably looking for mileage no higher than about 130k - less if possible - but willing to consider higher if it's a specimen that has been well maintained and has good service history. It would be lovely if the interior is in tidy shape too!

Please message me if you are looking to move yours on to folks who will love it and appreciate it some more!

Cheers,

Sally
Sally Cavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sally Cavanagh For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2024, 18:56   #2
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Decent ones are hard to find now, mainly just the stragglers left.

There's this one on facebook for £2650, bit of rust on rear arches but mot history is good:
Quote:
Volvo 940 Turbo, auto, 172k
Nothing else needs to be said it’s a 90s Volvo
Mot till Dec 24
Drives like a dream and is as smooth as butter
Unbelievably comfy and absolutely massive inside.

Just had loads of work carried out in Dec 23:
Cambelt and tensioner replaced
New fan belts
New Alternator and battery
New oil and oil filter
New air filter
New ht lead and plugs
New exhaust manifold gaskets x4
Four new Nexen Tyres
Full brake fluid change
Full coolant change
Full PAS fluid change
New Osram headlight bulbs that are brighter than my future
Comes with a brand new water pump (not fitted)
Comes with a second hand exhaust manifold as I’ve seen they tend to crack so bought a spare just in case

Has some surface rust underneath but nothing bad, expected on a 90s Volvo along with a few scratches here and there but again nothing bad

Any questions or any more photos required just message me
https://scontent.fman4-2.fna.fbcdn.n...2Q&oe=65D1441E

This one for £1290, might have already gone though as listed 8 weeks ago:
Quote:
Volvo 940 Turbo CD Estate, auto, 221k, runs and drives well, MOT until June 2024. Had a brand new battery over summer, bodywork dings and some interior trim missing but overall in good nick for age. Tow bar fitted. Speedo gauge is intermittent. See video for startup and engine running. Ready to drive away but could do with TLC.

Priced to sell, and sold as seen. These are getting rarer now and can fetch a fair bit tarted up.

Genuine enquiries only, cheers.
https://scontent.fman4-1.fna.fbcdn.n...FA&oe=65D152B7

Not interested in a V70? This one looks very nice:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225999951575
Old Feb 13th, 2024, 20:52   #3
Sally Cavanagh

Smile

Hi Baggy,

Many thanks for finding these - I really appreciate it.

I was afraid that it would be the case that decent ones are getting really hard to find - I know over the last few years I've seen fewer and fewer on the roads.

I'm going to take a look at these now - I can't believe that one of them is actually Aubergine! (well, Midnight Purple).

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Sally
Old Feb 14th, 2024, 14:50   #4
baggy798
🤍💙💗

No Sally, that's my signature with an AI generated picture of a 940! Here's a real pic of my purple one.😉 Officially it's 'Blackberry pearl metallic' but Volvo offered two purples, was yours the earlier 'Amethyst/Aubergine pearl metallic' only available between 94-96?

Old Feb 14th, 2024, 21:10   #5
volvo always
Premier Member

Sorry to hear about your 940. Really hope you find a good one at the right price.

Amazing how much some charge for a 940.

I was lucky to buy my 1996 940 LPT auto when they weren't worth much in 2016. Mine cosmetically challenged and unloved when bought.

Really like it, even more than when I had a 1989 240 GLT auto estate prior for 10 years.

James.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2024, 21:47   #6
Sally Cavanagh

Hahahaha!!! It took me a while to realise that the one at the bottom was actually yours Baggy! Talk about slow on the uptake I'm putting it down to the trauma of losing our lovely Aubergine!! It was a 1997 plate and the colour looks exactly the same as yours (going a bit green with envy now) so I guess it's official colour would have been Blackberry Pearl metallic.

I've been looking since early January and yours is the only one I've seen in that fabulous shade and got over-excited there for a long moment!!

Having to broaden horizons a bit as 940s are thin on the ground - have also been looking at V70s and 850s.... saw a V70R in 'saffron' on ebay - and was sort of tempted but this one was on low profile tyres/lowered suspension and with all the speed bumps around here ..... giving that one a miss .

Found a really brilliant V70 in dark green but not before at least two other potential buyers - and I reckon the first person to look at it will buy it.... So the search for the Aubergine's replacement (if that were ever possible ) continues ......

Last edited by Sally Cavanagh; Feb 14th, 2024 at 22:11.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sally Cavanagh For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2024, 22:11   #7
Sally Cavanagh

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo always View Post
Sorry to hear about your 940. Really hope you find a good one at the right price.

Amazing how much some charge for a 940.

I was lucky to buy my 1996 940 LPT auto when they weren't worth much in 2016. Mine cosmetically challenged and unloved when bought.

Really like it, even more than when I had a 1989 240 GLT auto estate prior for 10 years.

James.
Thanks James - I know - and of course the amount that our insurers will give us is £500 less than they said it was worth about 12 months ago after someone hit it whilst it was parked at home - cheeky beggars offered us less than half to start with - I politely but firmly told them to go away and think about it again! When they came back with a much improved (doubled offer - but still £500 less!) I tried to argue that the price of Volvo 940s was increasing not decreasing but was met with a load of blather about how the second hand car prices have dropped - although the chap from Directlline was basing that on all the electric Teslers and Porches that no one wants!!

I bought our first 940 (Wentworth, 7 seater, Silver) off our neighbour in 2007 for £500.

2017 - we did really well with the Aubergine - and got that for a very reasonable price - it had been well maintained mechanically - made in 1997 (last of the red block engines I think?) - but the vinyl on the door cards had badly buckled - it didn't really matter to us - our younger daughter loved travelling in it - 'like being driven around on a 3 piece suite!' she was fond of saying!....

Anyhow... the search is on for a replacement for the Aubergine - who knows maybe this time we might find a dark Olive V70!! I will keep looking out for a fab dark purple 940 though - I can't help myself!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sally Cavanagh For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2024, 16:58   #8
P505DEF
Master Member

I have just listed one in the sales section
P505DEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2024, 20:21   #9
Sally Cavanagh

Quote:
Originally Posted by P505DEF View Post
I have just listed one in the sales section
Many thanks for letting me know - it looks lovely and in very good shape - red block engine too! I saw it on eBay ..... bit too late though - just after I'd bought a Mk1 V70 Classic (2000 reg)....Doh!
Old Feb 19th, 2024, 20:41   #10
Sally Cavanagh

Many thanks to Baggy, James, Steve and P505DEF for responding to this thread and being helpful and supportive - I've really appreciated it!

If I can manage it I'll post a few photos of the our new purchase (can't call it a replacement... cos it just isn't).

That said it's a very tidy V70 Mk1 (2000 reg) - one owner for 22 years and loads of service history - very little in the way of issues at MOT over the years and well taken care of... mileage not too bad for age either....

Just need to find a name for it now... nothing starting 'Boaty,' mind!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V70 1.jpg (363.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg V70 2.jpg (371.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg V70 3.jpg (318.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg V70 11.jpg (353.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg V70 4.jpg (380.5 KB, 12 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sally Cavanagh For This Useful Post: