Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Car bonnet keeps falling in wind!!

Views : 744

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 17th, 2019, 16:57   #1
haymitch

Default Car bonnet keeps falling in wind!!

I feel embarrassed asking this, but any help would be appreciated , How do you stop a Volvo 940 car bonnet falling down in the wind? (other than of jamming a long piece of wood / broom handle in the bonnet to stop it falling down). Do people extend the bonnet to be fully open? When the bonnet is fully open does it stay up more easily? Google only provides the answer when a car has struts\

I've never opened the bonnet vertically because the latches on my bonnet have seized (looks like they've never been used) but I'm planning on freeing them up with some wd40 or equivalent.

Last edited by haymitch; Aug 17th, 2019 at 17:12.
haymitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to haymitch For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2019, 18:00   #2
J liddy

Mine does thw same on windy days hit me on head plenty of times in last 20 years ive had car!,
J liddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J liddy For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2019, 18:29   #3
bob12
bob12

Yup ... on a windy day the bonnet acts like a sail whether it's in the normal or upright position.

To open the bonnet fully you do have to lower it slightly so that you can turn the 'lock bars' to free and turn them from their locked position and allow the bonnet to raise to its fullest extent. Once you lower the bonnet the lock bars will return automatically to their normal position.

Bob

Last edited by bob12; Aug 17th, 2019 at 18:35.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2019, 18:43   #4
haymitch

Ha! Fair enough, sounds like it is just a fact of life I was wondering whether there was some trick I was missing!! In this case I miss my old Ford Fiasco which had a simple stick to keep the bonnet from closing.

Actually, that gave me an idea. I've found this dodgy item which I might give a try:

Sealey VS0140 Telescopic Bonnet/Tailgate Support 1.2mtr

Thanks for explaining the bonnet mechanism bob - I knew there would be something simple trick like that I'd missed

Last edited by haymitch; Aug 17th, 2019 at 18:45.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to haymitch For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2019, 19:11   #5
bob12
bob12

Personally, as ever a frugalist, I use an old broom handle in an appropriate recessed body pressing if the wind is in the wrong direction but, there again, I don't operate when the weather is inclement as I detest the ruddy thing hitting me on the head. Bob

Last edited by bob12; Aug 18th, 2019 at 20:44.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 12:15   #6
haymitch

That sounds more sensible - I'm always a sucker for a gadget!

Whenever my Volvo hits me on the head I think it's punishing me because I've not been looking after it enough!
The Following User Says Thank You to haymitch For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 18:04   #7
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Strategically placed broom handle.

I have one that is stored just inside the garage door near my other kit. Had to use it today. Simples.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 19:15   #8
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J liddy View Post
Mine does thw same on windy days hit me on head plenty of times in last 20 years ive had car!,
I have also been hit on the head by mine.
Shall we start a club?
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 01:11   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
Personally, as ever a frugalist, I use an old broom handle in an appropriate recessed body pressing if the wind is in the wrong direction but, there again, I don't operate when the weather is inclement as I detest the ruddy thing hitting me on the head. Bob
That would explain why i haven't been near-decapitated by my bonnet then!

Had to renew the bonnet struts when i first got mine, mine has a different method to raise it vertical, open to the normal position, flip a little catch on each strut and raise.
Then the catches drop down and latch so the struts can't disappear from whence they came, inside an outer tube.

Also had to renew the tailgate struts when i first got it, the pair of them suddenly failed last night without warning - luckily with the tailgate shut so i'm now using a broom to hold the tailgate open until the new struts arrive soon.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 10:35   #10
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post

Had to renew the bonnet struts when i first got mine, mine has a different method to raise it vertical, open to the normal position, flip a little catch on each strut and raise.
Then the catches drop down and latch so the struts can't disappear from whence they came, inside an outer tube.

Also had to renew the tailgate struts when i first got it, the pair of them suddenly failed last night without warning - luckily with the tailgate shut so i'm now using a broom to hold the tailgate open until the new struts arrive soon.
That's because you got one of them posh 760's Dave with fancy bits and pieces on it unlike us poor people!! Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post: