Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Calling V60 T6 Polestar Owners

Views : 26381

Replies : 111

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 8th, 2015, 08:33   #21
EWAC
too long to remember

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRS80 View Post
It's all very nice you guys coming on here and talking about your T6 Polestars BUT... We need more pictures!!!! Come on!
Typical! complain about it and it works haha

Here you go....

The view i get every morning i come out my from door
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_4008.JPG (190.2 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_4007.JPG (155.5 KB, 110 views)

Instagram: #polestar_owners_uk Facebook: Polestar owners uk Email: polestarownersuk@gmail.com
EWAC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EWAC For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 8th, 2015, 08:41   #22
JRS80

The best colour IMO. I love those wheels too. Thanks for posting!

Previously owned:
2005 V70 2.4 SE Auto 170
1999 V70 2.4 SE Auto 140
JRS80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JRS80 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 8th, 2015, 08:48   #23
EWAC
too long to remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
Do you need winter treads ?
Nottingham is not known for deep snow (I lived there for many years before moving north). Perhaps you live on a steep hill. You could try snow socks. Not ideal, but at well under £100, worth keeping in the boot for an emergency. They work as well as winter tyres for getting up snow-covered hills - at least that has been my experience comparing snow socks with winter tyres on my old V50.
You don't just need snow for winter tyres to work
Once air temps starts dipping below 5deg C you notice the difference...
Winter tyres are made from a different rubber compound which stays pliable at cold temps, where as the equivalent summer tyre is more like very hard rubber.
Being a pliable rubber, it helps to generate heat as rubber is able to more around and generate friction, this creates grip, the same as you see racing drivers warming there tyres before a race.

Instagram: #polestar_owners_uk Facebook: Polestar owners uk Email: polestarownersuk@gmail.com
Old Nov 8th, 2015, 08:53   #24
CaptainSlow337

I've been watching these for the last year as I'd love one, but have no money to buy one. They started at 50k and are about 35k now at a year old. The 3 year pcp buy back is 16k I understand, so about 10k at 5 years? I'll need the get one then...
CaptainSlow337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2015, 08:54   #25
EWAC
too long to remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTad View Post

Has anyone scoped out a set of winter shoes for theirs? I've not been able to find a supplier for the Polestar 19s in the UK and I'm certainly not forking out a quoted £3700 for the 20s.
Youve got 19's on yours???
Mine are fitted with with 20's!!!

I am looking at getting Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme from www.oponeo.co.uk and getting my local garage to fit them, as I run into the same problem as you!

I've always have a spare set of alloys with tyres so I can swap them over, but, like you i started looking and can find anything reasonable that will fit over them callipers!

Old Nov 8th, 2015, 09:11   #26
EWAC
too long to remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSlow337 View Post
I've been watching these for the last year as I'd love one, but have no money to buy one. They started at 50k and are about 35k now at a year old. The 3 year pcp buy back is 16k I understand, so about 10k at 5 years? I'll need the get one then...
My thinking on this (also hope ), that will come down to around the 16k figure as you say, but will stay hovering around there for some time....the last time volvo did something like this was the R-line, which still can fetch 10k and are over 5 yrs old now.

I consider one of these when they were 50k, then banged my head against a wall to get some sanity back. Good or bad, depends how you look at it, back then I didn't drive it. Now owning one, I realise it is worth every penny of that 50k!
It has every thing on it you will ever need, quiet as a mouse smooth as slick while cruising and has one hell of a kick when you squeeze on the throttle heehee.

I suggest you get saving or sell a limb, re-mortgage to get in early and get a low miler

Old Nov 8th, 2015, 09:26   #27
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWAC View Post
You don't just need snow for winter tyres to work
Once air temps starts dipping below 5deg C you notice the difference...
Winter tyres are made from a different rubber compound which stays pliable at cold temps, where as the equivalent summer tyre is more like very hard rubber.
Being a pliable rubber, it helps to generate heat as rubber is able to more around and generate friction, this creates grip, the same as you see racing drivers warming there tyres before a race.
I totally agree as I have run winters myself with great success. I was simply thinking of ways around the exhorbitant cost of winters for the 20" rims.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.

Last edited by NigelDay; Nov 8th, 2015 at 09:26. Reason: Typo
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2015, 11:03   #28
MisterTad

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWAC View Post
Youve got 19's on yours???
Mine are fitted with with 20's!!!

I am looking at getting Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme from www.oponeo.co.uk and getting my local garage to fit them, as I run into the same problem as you!

I've always have a spare set of alloys with tyres so I can swap them over, but, like you i started looking and can find anything reasonable that will fit over them callipers!
It's fitted with the OEM 20s, but there are some OEM 19x8s as well for the very reason of winters - they're just not available in the UK (or so say my local dealer) and I can't find a manufacturer part number for them.

I'm currently undecided between three options - ~£2000 for a set of shod 19" OEMs, ~£1000 for tyres and keep the stock wheels and just deal swapping and storing, or £0 and drive like a grandmother for three months per year, and probably not at all for a couple weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
I totally agree as I have run winters myself with great success. I was simply thinking of ways around the exhorbitant cost of winters for the 20" rims.
There's of course the option C above (which I've not yet ruled out), but it's a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that anything but the most treacherous of conditions are traversable. I've been stuck on my drive (BMWs, gentle slope and light dusting...) far too many times and stuck out and about once, and would have happily paid 3x the cost of winters to magic a pair up right there and then. I don't expect the track biased OEM tyres are all that great when the temperatures drop, and even worse when there's a dusting on the road.

In reality it's not really an "extra" cost anyway, apart from wheels, if I'm wearing down the winters I won't be wearing the summers after all.

But I'm paying for the car next weekend, and have another unrelated expense that's half that again the week after, so I'll see how enthusiastic I am about spending anything on anything at that point!
MisterTad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2015, 15:04   #29
EWAC
too long to remember

Theres another option, get taxis during winter months

Where you seen the deal fir OEM wheels? I could be interested.

The Following User Says Thank You to EWAC For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2015, 00:30   #30
51mes

Tried ringing 20 or so dealers to find the p* 19" winter wheels.

£2650 + delivery +fitting from the netherlands or about £2500 plus delivery and fitting from volvo stockton - the only dealer that gave me a price.

Yes BBS SR's fit - as do a few wheels from Rimstock they have the p* on their fitting guide. Including the Imola's apparently (look good and very reasonably priced).

I really wouldn't recommend fitting/refitting 20" low profile tyres on these rims - it wont do the tyre any good at all...

I ended up with Anthracite Team dynamics Pro Race 1.3's with Vredstein wintrac's in the 235x19x40 96Y fitment, lighter than OEM and hardened alloy, know several race teams use these with good results from my Marshalling days.

for about 900quid less than OEM...

Sorry about the pic - car is filthy and it had just been rolled out of the fitting bay at the alloy shop...

After a few days with the Vredsteins - grip is good, wet handling is much better than the supersports which are good anyway, car feels a little different and road noise has changed - some surfaces were really noisy with the supersports.

S.

Last edited by 51mes; Nov 10th, 2015 at 00:37. Reason: added experiences
51mes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 51mes For This Useful Post: